DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Sunset Kayakers on the Potomac River at Violette's Lock

macfawlty

Reactions
Monday made for a nice afternoon of flying with my M2P and MA2. You need plenty of batteries and patience to wait until sunset, when beautiful things happen on the water. The kayakers put in as I was switching to the M2P and I filmed them through 3 full batteries, keeping reasonable distance so as not to annoy. Here's one long clip I exported. I kayak here as well, but it's a bit challenging to port a large backpack, set up, launch and land from the river. Done it many times though. My launch is a rock island that juts out into the river, nearly inaccessible at the current river levels.

Wow! Is trump golf club at the left? I never saw kayakers around this area. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! Is trump golf club at the left? I never saw kayakers around this area. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, Trump golf is directly across from Riley’s Lock and Violette’s Lock. Many sport kayakers prefer areas further downstream below Great Falls or Lock 5 as the Violettes section is pretty shallow during the summer. It’s pretty much flatwater upstream all the way to Harpers Ferry (my most fav spot to fly within an hour). I fly near Violettes because it’s just outside the massive NFZ perimeter around RR National Airport and the rock island I launch from is technically in the river, not in the C&O NP. Access from the Virginia side appears to be easily accessible by the gravel road in Seneca Regional Park, however it is also bisected by the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail (also a National Park), so you’d have to find a way out into the river to be technically ‘legal’ to launch.
You can search my posts for launch spots at Harper’s Ferry, which is surrounded on all sides of both rivers by NP, but legal to launch from the bluff above the town at the abandoned hotel.

Last edited:
Yes, Trump golf is directly across from Riley’s Lock and Violette’s Lock. Many sport kayakers prefer areas further downstream below Great Falls or Lock 5 as the Violettes section is pretty shallow during the summer. It’s pretty much flatwater upstream all the way to Harpers Ferry (my most fav spot to fly within an hour). I fly near Violettes because it’s just outside the massive NFZ perimeter around RR National Airport and the rock island I launch from is technically in the river, not in the C&O NP. Access from the Virginia side appears to be easily accessible by the gravel road in Seneca Regional Park, however it is also bisected by the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail (also a National Park), so you’d have to find a way out into the river to be technically ‘legal’ to launch.
You can search my posts for launch spots at Harper’s Ferry, which is surrounded on all sides of both rivers by NP, but legal to launch from the bluff above the town at the abandoned hotel.
How high did you fly in this video? I am always scared to hit trees so that I normally fly above 200ft. I remember in your old post, you mentioned take off drone in an abandoned hotel near Harpers Ferry. I had hard time to locate it on Google map. What road it is on? Thank you for all the information!

How high did you fly in this video? I am always scared to hit trees so that I normally fly above 200ft. I remember in your old post, you mentioned take off drone in an abandoned hotel near Harpers Ferry. I had hard time to locate it on Google map. What road it is on? Thank you for all the information!
Capturing cinematic video clips necessitates a variety of elevations, flying and gimbal techniques. I elevate and descend, tilting gimbal down and up respectively. Passing trees and other features closer provides the dramatic parallax effect.

The Harpers Ferry launch area is on E. Ridge St. It’s on the high bluff above the Potomac River and town. There’s a good sized parking area there and along E. Ridge st. There’s always a security guard up there to prevent people from venturing into the collapsing hotel, but they’re friendly and are generally entertained by the droning. There’s a bench to set your stuff although, depending on the number of people around, you may want to launch from the grassy area just below while standing near the flagpole. Set your RTH lower as you’ll be at a fairly high elevation and another 200’ above launch will just be in more wind for the return.
There are 2 optimal times of day to fly here. Mid-morning, the town is in best light, so fly upstream towards the town and the point. I start low along the Potomac and increase elevation as I tilt gimbal down. You can fly right past the church steeple. The other great time to fly is toward late afternoon when the cliffs are in full sunlight. It’s probably the most preferred time if you can’t spend the whole day waiting between flights. If you’ve parked on the hilltop, it’s a reasonable and enjoyable walk into town for sightseeing, lunch and shopping. There are at least a few good POI’s to film: the church steeple (counter clockwise from South, pulling away to reveal town as you spiral out and vice versa in clockwise reverse); the town using the Point as POI; the cliff face and railroad bridges; the plantation style house on the adjacent hilltop to the South above the historic cemetery. There are so many ways to film this locale. The town, bridges, river junction, cliff faces, kayakers, etc. It’s a great place to practice your skills. I’d meet you there sometime if you’re interested. I may go on Sunday.

Capturing cinematic video clips necessitates a variety of elevations, flying and gimbal techniques. I elevate and descend, tilting gimbal down and up respectively. Passing trees and other features closer provides the dramatic parallax effect.

The Harpers Ferry launch area is on E. Ridge St. It’s on the high bluff above the Potomac River and town. There’s a good sized parking area there and along E. Ridge st. There’s always a security guard up there to prevent people from venturing into the collapsing hotel, but they’re friendly and are generally entertained by the droning. There’s a bench to set your stuff although, depending on the number of people around, you may want to launch from the grassy area just below while standing near the flagpole. Set your RTH lower as you’ll be at a fairly high elevation and another 200’ above launch will just be in more wind for the return.
There are 2 optimal times of day to fly here. Mid-morning, the town is in best light, so fly upstream towards the town and the point. I start low along the Potomac and increase elevation as I tilt gimbal down. You can fly right past the church steeple. The other great time to fly is toward late afternoon when the cliffs are in full sunlight. It’s probably the most preferred time if you can’t spend the whole day waiting between flights. If you’ve parked on the hilltop, it’s a reasonable and enjoyable walk into town for sightseeing, lunch and shopping. There are at least a few good POI’s to film: the church steeple (counter clockwise from South, pulling away to reveal town as you spiral out and vice versa in clockwise reverse); the town using the Point as POI; the cliff face and railroad bridges; the plantation style house on the adjacent hilltop to the South above the historic cemetery. There are so many ways to film this locale. The town, bridges, river junction, cliff faces, kayakers, etc. It’s a great place to practice your skills. I’d meet you there sometime if you’re interested. I may go on Sunday.
You are really the man! Let me know when you are going to go there. I may join you if my schedule allowed. My email: [email protected]. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada