DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset storm clouds

Been enjoying the better sensor on the M2P lately, took this at sunset with some storm clouds gathering over the house.

Now that is how you post a nice picture : Took up the entire wide screen and than some, Looked good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: naiku
Been enjoying the better sensor on the M2P lately, took this at sunset with some storm clouds gathering over the house.

It is a beautiful image but can always be made better by opinion up the foreground shadows using a graduated filter in Photoshop as I have attached. The existing foreground is totally black.StormCloud.jpg

Nice scene. This screams for using HDR, which on the M2p is easily done using AEB and third party software to process the images--for pans then you would have to acquire them manually, not a big deal!

As per rhberg, bringing out foreground detail, and HDR would really enhance an already nice image. I am by no means an expert in post processing, but perhaps the following would work?

I love the DJI pano function, particularly horizontal pano, which creates 27 (I think) images. Unfortunately, it will only save the the stitched image as a JPEG file; only the individual photos of the pano will save in RAW. The JPEG is not susceptible to much exposure correction, so bringing out the foreground detail will be tough with the JPEG.

I am miserable at manually shooting panos. Correctly lining up and overlapping 27 images would be beyond me. So the AEB approach to create an HDR pano would not work for me.

One could preserve the 27 RAW files as shot by the drone. Batch process those with Lightroom or Photoshop or whatever to bring out the foreground detail. Then, there is software that creates pretty good HDR images from RAW files. So one could create an HDR for each image with that software, then stitch 'em together with PT GUI or the like.

This seems pretty work intensive. Any ideas on an effective, easier way?

I agree that a full 360 pano would be difficult for HDR processing as described. But a smaller field of view is doable. Your work flow suggests doing this manually with single RAW files and indeed software like Aurora HDR can be used to bring up the shadows using single RAW files-- you could skip the LR/PS step to bring up the shadows because the HDR software is better for this. Even better is to have bracketed (AEB) shots in this work flow.

Reactions: Made2Phly
It is a beautiful image but can always be made better by opinion up the foreground shadows using a graduated filter in Photoshop as I have attached. The existing foreground is totally black.

Luckily, we all have opinions. I wanted the foreground black and had toyed around a little with the graduated filter in Lightroom, but preferred the almost silhouette of the foreground. Really, I could have used the graduated filter in the opposite way that you did to make the foreground totally black.

Nice scene. This screams for using HDR, which on the M2p is easily done using AEB and third party software to process the images--for pans then you would have to acquire them manually, not a big deal!

Funnily enough, I did actually use AEB, but for some reason when I used Lightroom to merge the images it kept having these strange artifacts (might have been the props, I had the gimbal tilted up slightly) that did not show up in the single images. So, I looked at them all and decided I liked the 1/50 shutter speed the most and merged those individual (3) images to the panorama instead of the 15 that AEB took.

Reactions: Made2Phly
That is unfortunate. If there was movement while taking the photos, likely with a drone and wind, it might help to do deghosting during the HDR calculation.

Very possible there was some wind, I typically always use the 3 or 5 AEB setting and then just use Lightroom to merge and stitch images together. First time I have seen those artifacts appear though.

Luckily, we all have opinions. I wanted the foreground black and had toyed around a little with the graduated filter in Lightroom, but preferred the almost silhouette of the foreground. Really, I could have used the graduated filter in the opposite way that you did to make the foreground totally black.

Funnily enough, I did actually use AEB, but for some reason when I used Lightroom to merge the images it kept having these strange artifacts (might have been the props, I had the gimbal tilted up slightly) that did not show up in the single images. So, I looked at them all and decided I liked the 1/50 shutter speed the most and merged those individual (3) images to the panorama instead of the 15 that AEB took.
OK. In that case, it came out just the way you wanted. As they say in French...À chacun son goût each one to his taste.

Reactions: naiku
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N