DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunshine on the moors

4wd

Premium Pilot
Reactions
It's usually blowing a gale or foggy up here at the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge - if not snowing.
Today with something of an inversion it was actually better higher up than in the valley where frost persisted all day.

0S1BeKc.jpg

fbySEkK.jpg

1EzIi4f.jpg

This is about as good video as you can get from the Mavic.
While at first the image is startlingly crisp there is an awful lot of digital smoothing going on in the fine detail.
With closer subjects this does not matter but expansive scenes on a larger screen do not bear close scrutiny.

Nonetheless the tiny Mavic is a delight to use and incredibly capable.

This exactly where i would have been at the weekend if i had my drone :( also scaling dam would have been nice to shoot

While at first the image is startlingly crisp there is an awful lot of digital smoothing going on in the fine detail.
With closer subjects this does not matter but expansive scenes on a larger screen do not bear close scrutiny.

It is nice to see the differences between your image and footage.
The smoothing (woolliness) happens in the low contrast-area's. In high contrast transitions the details are still preserved.
These are the artifacts of H.264 processing.

Nice work. What video settings are you using? Is it color graded in post?

Nice work. What video settings are you using? Is it color graded in post?
Art Mode with sharpening on -2
So that's -2, 0, 0
With bright sun you might drop contrast to -1 too, but art is quite flat to start with.
It had slight increase in saturation afterwards and adjustment to exposure trying to compensate for strong backlight mainly.
Colour balance locked manually on 5800

Reactions: daithi23
I need to remember to focus and the experiment with the video settings and more practise with editing.. :) Was a lovely day.. This thing is incredible though.

Reactions: mikeroycollins
Just watched that video (finally) and there must indeed be something in your settings or processing chain that causes an awful lot of noise reduction to go on or something, finely detailed stuff is awfully blotchy. My footage has a LOT more detail, even if it's indeed at the cost of a bit of noise.

Just watched that video (finally) and there must indeed be something in your settings or processing chain that causes an awful lot of noise reduction to go on or something, finely detailed stuff is awfully blotchy. My footage has a LOT more detail, even if it's indeed at the cost of a bit of noise.
Do you have an example - to be honest I think it's the type of vegetation doesn't have enough texture to be recorded half a mile away at the Mavic resolution.

Nah, your photos show the detail, that should come up in video too...

Will upload a sample now.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots