DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Super Weird Crash broke my gimbal back support

ballitogb

Reactions
Whats up Pilots, I need help with this issue, I took my Mavic Pro for a short flight I wanted to get a nice building at night but as soon as it lifted up it went crazy I couldn't control it and it did some kind of flip and flew backwards and it hit a wall. can someone help me figure this thing out please cheek out my video and flight record for the specific flight. should I report this to DJI I don't think its common. Mavic with no gimbal back support thats bad right?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-04-07_[20-56-52].txt
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Fix your video. You have it on private

Is there now.
Some of the members that can work with the file will be on soon and read them for you .
I can't .Just give it a little time.

Sure you had GPS lock when you took off? looks to me like it was in Atti mode when you lifted off.

Reactions: flipf
Sure you had GPS lock when you took off? looks to me like it was in Atti mode when you lifted off.

I'm pretty sure it was on ATTI but I've flown ATTI before no problem and nothing remotely close to that has happened. What could it be?

Atti mode has many strange ways i am afraid. You can not predict any kind of "normal behaviour in Atti Mode".

Atti mode on a Mavic is kind of last resort flying.

It really is not for low level ground flying around obstacles or buildings,

ATTI mode still relies on signal for the Mavic to operate but in this mode it is also more prone to disruptive behaviour.

As you have flown Atti i am sure that you understand the unpredictable nature, where every stick input counts and every stick input can only be cancelled out by another stick input.

Taking off in ATTI mode can see a quite wild ride as everything struggles to make any sense to the AC.

It only takes a mild gust blowing past to shoot that bird from one foot of the floor into a wall in the blink of an eye.

Unless you are one very very experienced flyer i would give taking off in anything other than GPS lock a very wide berth.

Reactions: ballitogb
Looking at the log now. I have limited resources however at the moment, so I can't give a very detailed analysis unless you upload the DAT file from the Mavic itself for this flight.

Well, your log has nothing in it. No flight path or anything. The problem is with a Mac I can't do a great analysis on TXT logs. Can you upload the DAT file of the flight from the Mavic itself?

It was in Atti mode for the whole flight.
The most sats you ever had was 6 and the GPS health signal was low. Did you let the Mavic warm up before taking off? It seems like you just turned it on and flew it.

I am looking at it in more detail, but at a quick glance it really just looks like it crashed because it was in ATTI mode and drifted with the wind.

Rob

The most sats you ever had was 6 and the GPS health signal was low. Did you let the Mavic warm up before taking off? It seems like you just turned it on and flew it.

I am looking at it in more detail now but it really just looks like it was in ATTI mode and drifted with the wind.

Rob

Yes, I let ir warm up, I saw a separate video and the back light was blinking yellow instead of green I really didn't pick up on that, how bad is it to fly without the gimbal back support?

Yes, I let ir warm up, I saw a separate video and the back light was blinking yellow instead of green I really didn't pick up on that, how bad is it to fly without the gimbal back support?

By back support do you mean the black hook at the bottom that holds the rear of the gimbal or do you mean the round silver disk at the back of the camera that holds the gimbal clamp?

Can you send a picture of what is broken?

Rob

By back support do you mean the black hook at the bottom that holds the rear of the gimbal or do you mean the round silver disk at the back of the camera that holds the gimbal clamp?

Can you send a picture of what is broken?

Rob

I mean the black hook at the bottom that holds the rear of the gimbal, that broke.

Your gimbal may not be a gimbal it may just be an expensive small camera holder now. Have you tried starting the mavic since the crash? When I crashed mine the gimbal didn't work anymore, it went through the startup process and then just pointed downward. I empathize with your loss and hopefully you will be more patient prior to lifting off. Fortunately no person was injured.

So from what I can see (which is very limited due to lack of GPS signal) You had the following problems.

1) Lack of adequate GPS signal, so the craft did not set a home point.

2) Your around a lot of metal so I doubt the compass was working right.

3) Lack of bright enough light so visual sensors were not functioning.

4) With No GPS lock it was in ATTI mode so you drifted around freely.

5) I think at this point you kind of lost your bearings and started to try to bring it lower and then go back ways but you did not keep the input in long enough so you did not see an effect, then you turned her around just as it collided with something and at that point I see the drone moving around in all axis's (crashing).

To sum it up you were basically flying the drone in full ATTI mode with no help from any sensor. Matters might have been made worst by other factors that I cannot determine without the DAT file.

Sorry about the damage. I think your first and most devastating mistake was not making sure the craft was in GPS mode before taking off.

Rob

I mean the black hook at the bottom that holds the rear of the gimbal, that broke.

Check it out as DodgeP said and if everything else is working you can replace the gimbal plate. I think Thunderdrones has them in stock.

Rob

I agree thanks a lot for your time and analysis! In your experience is this a matter that is covered by DJI Care?

I am looking at it in more detail, but at a quick glance it really just looks like it crashed because it was in ATTI mode and drifted with the wind.

Rob
yep as i said

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke