DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Supplying Airdata with DJI account credentials..

vandemonian

Reactions
I have recently signed up for a paid Airdata subscription as I have ticked over 100 flights which were uploaded manually.. I am pretty careful and security conscious with any account credentials and resisted supplying my DJI login to AIrdata.

Does anybody else have reservations about that sort of thing wrt Airdata / DJI?
Is there any "asset" at risk in my DJI account that is accessible to Airdata?
I can't see how DJI could restrict Airdata's privileges to flight logs alone and username / pw would provide full account access.

You don't need to supply your DJI login to Airdata... you can manually upload each & every log that you've retrieved from the mobile device instead. In this way you also don't need to sync your logs to the DJI cloud service.

You decide... either you trust this with your credentials on Airdata equal much as you trust everything else you have online (Banking, Credit cards, online purchases...) & by that get the benefits of the automation... or you go manual.

Reactions: retiredNH
I can't see how DJI could restrict Airdata's privileges to flight logs alone and username / pw would provide full account access
That would be possible if you were logging in at dji.com instead of airdata.com. Since you're logging in at airdata.com though, they could potentially do whatever they want with your DJI login. Like anything in life, don't share your personal information with companies you don't trust.

I have over 200 flights logged with AirData, all uploaded manually. I just want to have full control what gets uploaded rather than have them automatically synced to somewhere. I also have all the .TXT and .DAT files safely stored on my own computer. It's done after every day's flights. I also analyze data and potential issues after every flight. It's just a personal preference.

Reactions: vandemonian
I have over 200 flights logged with AirData, all uploaded manually. I just want to have full control what gets uploaded rather than have them automatically synced to somewhere. I also have all the .TXT and .DAT files safely stored on my own computer. It's done after every day's flights. I also analyze data and potential issues after every flight. It's just a personal preference.
I do the same.

I am just curious why you have qualms about an American company and not a Chinese one?
Yes one MUST log in to a DJI account to be able to fly a DJI drone to its 'limits' but I don't upload logs to them.

You don't need to supply your DJI login to Airdata... you can manually upload each & every log that you've retrieved from the mobile device instead. In this way you also don't need to sync your logs to the DJI cloud service.

You decide... either you trust this with your credentials on Airdata equal much as you trust everything else you have online (Banking, Credit cards, online purchases...) & by that get the benefits of the automation... or you go manual.
It's not quite that binary.

I worked in IT security for a long time, and it's possible to compartmentalize, if you pay attention.

For example, I put zero financial data, or really anything of significance, on my cell phone.

I went ahead and went for the full Airdata sync. I would have preferred not to give them as much access as that required, but quantitatively, the added risk to me doing so was tiny.

I am just curious why you have qualms about an American company and not a Chinese one?
Yes one MUST log in to a DJI account to be able to fly a DJI drone to its 'limits' but I don't upload logs to them.
I have qualms about all of them...

..so you just rely on local logs and upload manually.. is that suitable for a Care Refresh claim?

(WHO told you I was paranoid?)

Care Refresh doesn't rely on what upload to AirData. DJI will obtain what is needed when data is needed for Care Refresh. DJI may not even request that you provide data. If you return a drone under Care Refresh all of the data needed will be available from the drone internal data storage files.

I have qualms about all of them........ That seems sensible.

..so you just rely on local logs and upload manually....... Actually I move all my logs, .DAT & .txt, to an external hard drive, that way they are under my control. Then I upload them as necessary to Airdata and Phantomhelp manually.
In connection with processing encrypted Fly App logs, Airdata seems able to access one to two bits of data, that I want, that Phantomhelp can not. So, I upload my logs manually to Airdata in batches of 20 or less, make a note of the data I want and then delete the logs. Then I upload them to Phantomhelp, one at a time, and download the csv from there.

is that suitable for a Care Refresh claim? ..... Syncing .txt logs copies/uploads to DJI but appears to delete the .DATs from the 'phone', I don't know if the DATs are copied/uploaded to DJI .....
When you make a claim I believe DJI occasionally want copies of the relevant logs manually uploaded - attached to the claim. But I have read of instances where DJI wanted the .DAT relevant to a claim as well and since the claimant had synced their logs the claimant did not have it. The way I do things (above) I would normally have both the .DAT and .txt stored somewhere safe.

The reason I want the PH csv's? I process them with some software I have adapted and summarise each log into a single line in a 'pilot's flight logbook'.

FLDave makes good point. DJI can, if the drone is returned to them, read logs - .DATs, on the drone (assumes those logs are accessible). From the size of those .DATs they contain a lot of information that .DATs and .txts on the phone do not.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag