DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surprised by lack of performance in wind

FASTFJR

Reactions
Yesterday was the first time ever flying in any kind of winds. They were strong 12mph 20mph. The Phantom had no real issues in wind like that. I was surprised at the Mavic Pro, literally not being about to go forward at one point. I had wind warnings most of the time flying. What I failed to do is try sport mode when the Mavic began to stall out

Did you switch to Sport ..?

No, I failed to try that. The Mavic platform is new to me, I'm not new to DJI. I went out and flew 3 batteries since the weather broke. I will try sport mode, I guess I was wondering what effect sport has in a situation like that.

Sport mode allows the Mavic to fly faster. You'll need that extra speed when flying in strong winds.

Yeah 20 mph is a bit much for the Mavic. I own multiple DJI platforms and I always have to be cognizant of which I'm flying when its windy outside. Especially switching back and forth from Mavic to Inspire

Thanks guys. I do have one other question concerning wind. Does the software slow the Mavic down when you get a high wind warning? The reason I ask is at one time it took forever for the drone to drop about 75ft. This surly was not do to an updraft.

With Obstacle Avoidance turned on your forward speed is reduced in standard GPS mode.
You will find it copes pretty well with wind if that's turned off, or switch to sports mode (which also disables OA) - you don't have to go flat out just because it's in the more lively setting.

Reactions: FASTFJR
With Obstacle Avoidance turned on your forward speed is reduced in standard GPS mode.
You will find it copes pretty well with wind if that's turned off, or switch to sports mode (which also disables OA) - you don't have to go flat out just because it's in the more lively setting.

Thanks, I need to get back out and fly it in different modes. I know OA reduced speed, but not to the point it would stall out in wind. Its not like my Phantom or first Inspire. I'll just need to get used to it

It’ll still stall out in anything over 25-30mph headwind regardless of sport mode. It’s a B to deal with when you launch from 3-4,000m ASL and try to reach mountain summits. Agree, wind performance is lacking for sure.

It can be very disturbing when you launch from a point where it is pretty calm only to find once you get to your filming position that he wind is thrashing your aircraft or trying to carry it away. I had a situation yesterday where I was on a sheltered ledge where I felt no wind, but as soon as I got out 20 feet from the edge, the Mavic was getting pushed around so badly, I had to bring it back.

I just got back from some test flying. Sport mode is crazy fast, don't see were I would ever use it but its nice to know I do have the option. How does it know what the winds are like? The reason I ask is I was flying around a large field. At one end were a bunch of flags about 25ft tall. I circled them going about 15-20mph. The flags never moved however I get a wind warning a few times

It calculates the wind speed because it knows how much sideways movement is required to stay on the spot according to GPS.
The default is quite conservative and you can safely ignore the red box.
At a higher speed you will see amber warning scrolling at the top which should not be ignored.
The red box is just 'be aware' - starts to show at about 15mph.

It calculates the wind speed because it knows how much sideways movement is required to stay on the spot according to GPS.
The default is quite conservative and you can safely ignore the red box.
At a higher speed you will see amber warning scrolling at the top which should not be ignored.
The red box is just 'be aware' - starts to show at about 15mph.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll run an IMU and compass calibration again. Their was no wind when I got the warning, other than that it flew great

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000