DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surprised there is no third party solution to the Android charging from controller problem.

Lifeisfun

Reactions
I know this has been discussed to death but there is still no solution. (no purchasing Apple device is not solution ?)
I can't believe there is still no third party accessory that would eliminate or drastically lower the charging current from controller to the display device on Android.
This issue is here for years and there is no takers? Pretty sure someone can make killing on that.
There is bunch of junk accessories made but nothing like this?

Anyone found app that can limit the charging current if you have rooted phone?
Note 8 has 1200 nits brightness and works great as controller display, beats any other device at this price.

Thanks

I myself would not be a target for that device. Flown mine yesterday for 45+ min in the park. The remote was fully charged and my Mi 9T Pro was at 94% charge and it was cold.. about 3C. After the flight, the controller had all 4 lights on and the phone showed 96% charge.

My point is that I will first burn through all 3 batteries of my flight combo and still have some juice left in the remote for a 4th flight. Or you can start with a fully charged phone and it will drain little energy from the remote. Also, I can always get a Power Bank with QC that can charge both the RC and the MM while I just take a break from all the fun. Why buy another device and not use what I already have ?

Reactions: Garcino
I myself would not be a target for that device. Flown mine yesterday for 45+ min in the park. The remote was fully charged and my Mi 9T Pro was at 94% charge and it was cold.. about 3C. After the flight, the controller had all 4 lights on and the phone showed 96% charge.

My point is that I will first burn through all 3 batteries of my flight combo and still have some juice left in the remote for a 4th flight. Or you can start with a fully charged phone and it will drain little energy from the remote. Also, I can always get a Power Bank with QC that can charge both the RC and the MM while I just take a break from all the fun. Why buy another device and not use what I already have ?
The brightness of your phone is about half of the Note 8. Also tablets are way more power hungry due to large displays.

I can agree with both of you but the fact remains it is annoying not to be able to stop the charging.
If someone came up with a device or app that could stop it I think it would sell.

Reactions: G Lee and Lifeisfun
android requires a small charge in order to use the usb function such as plugged to rc to be a display. some out there have tried cutting the wire on a cheap cable and the device no longer shows image or connection to rc

Android requires that power line be live or it will not enable the d+ and d- data lines. What I have seen suggested on Arduino and Pi forums is to put a Schotky diode on pin1 (5V power) so that control sees power coming from the phone/tablet, but doesn't send it back. Something like this.

how about the wireless charger (if your phone supports)? There are low profile pcb ones for sale. Connected to a powerbank, of course.
jhxpm0j.png

Android requires that power line be live or it will not enable the d+ and d- data lines. What I have seen suggested on Arduino and Pi forums is to put a Schotky diode on pin1 (5V power) so that control sees power coming from the phone/tablet, but doesn't send it back. Something like this.

Unfortunately, DJI has not solved (nor do I think it solved shortly ...) even this "discriminatory" issue of Android users (which for DJI I think we are .. second-class customers ... despite having paid the same. ..) .. issue that a good hardware architecture engineer could solve ... If DJI wanted ... for now, for DJI, the fault is still Android and its USB ..
Actually .. there goes the solution ... (very good info TruGreen and Anotherlab); IOS connections if you can maintain data exchange limiting power .. (A mobile will be charged from the RC .. Not so a tablet like Ipad mini, which requires more energy delivery ...)

I'm getting 4 or 5 flights before I have to recharge the controller. But when downloading lots of videos, I'm getting only 3 and then the controller is low on battery. I know I can remove the micro SD card from the bird and stick it in a device but sometimes it's just more convenient to transfer videos off it. But I'm moving away from that method because the drone gets really hot and it drains the controller battery. Also, my phone gets really hot as well. This will be a major inconvenience for the average user.

Sometimes I'm at a remote location and don't have all the tools. It's nice to create a quick awesome video on the fly using the DJI app and sharing it with the guest during the event. :)

Did you see some reports if this works? One would think if this was so easy it would be all over :)
That post is 5 years old.

BTW 50pcs of those 1N5819 diodes is $1 from China and free shipping ?

how about the wireless charger (if your phone supports)? There are low profile pcb ones for sale. Connected to a powerbank, of course.
jhxpm0j.png
That will not solve anything for Tablet use and you would have to drag around powerbank as well :(

Did you see some reports if this works? One would think if this was so easy it would be all over :)
That post is 5 years old.
The post is 5 years old because the problem first occurred with Arduinos 5 years ago. It is all over, but just in that community.

The best fix would be for DJI to change that setting on the controller.

Hang on, isn't that Micro USB to USB C.
If the controller uses the Micro USB then the Type C won’t fit the average Android tablet.

I have a OTG cable and it charges the phone, a OTG dongle (phantom 4) and standard usb cables (both type C and B andriod devices).

Dongle end plugged into RC, the data connection is made but it also charges the phone as expected.

Swap it end for end, the OTG dongle plugged into the phone it makes no connection at all data or charge either one.

Those little cables that are included with a mavic pro for example, I assumed those where "OTG" type cables to start with? No?

I have a OTG cable and it charges the phone, a OTG dongle (phantom 4) and standard usb cables (both type C and B andriod devices).

Dongle end plugged into RC, the data connection is made but it also charges the phone as expected.

Swap it end for end, the OTG dongle plugged into the phone it makes no connection at all data or charge either one.

Those little cables that are included with a mavic pro for example, I assumed those where "OTG" type cables to start with? No?
Yes, they are OTG which puts the RC port to A mode. They even use the micro A formfactor.

For USB to work, one end has to be in A mode the other end in B mode. Think of A mode being like your PC, and B mode being a keyboard, mouse, thumb drive, USB drive, etc. A port in A mode makes available (not takes) 500mA. A B mode device does not provide any power, but may use power from the other end, even if that's just to validate/activate the USB.

In the case of iOS, an API is provided for any applications to use to control charging.

Google did not provide this in their Android API. Applications have no control without root access. Some manufacturers added such a function since they have access to root in their firmware development.

Most B devices will drop USB if there's no power. It may be possible to limit current so device sees power is insufficient for any charge level, but during the test, voltage may sag and so USB may drop out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica