DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swap alternative lenses on Mavic?

NooMavicUser

Reactions
Hi there!

I just ordered a Mavic for landscape photography (it's about the same size as a telephoto lens!), but I'm wondering if there are any after-market alternative lenses available like the Peau lenses that can be swapped onto a gopro. GoPro Camera Lenses – Peau Productions

My goal is to have a longer focal length, something between 35mm equiv (63deg Diagonal Angle of View) and 50mm. The Mavic's stock camera is 28mm equiv (78.8 Diagonal field of view).

See focal length <> angle of view converter here: Angle of view - Wikipedia

Since the drone is so new the answer is probably no. Do you foresee something that might become available later as the Mavic is likely to be a huge success?

Eric

Hi there!

I just ordered a Mavic for landscape photography (it's about the same size as a telephoto lens!), but I'm wondering if there are any after-market alternative lenses available like the Peau lenses that can be swapped onto a gopro. GoPro Camera Lenses – Peau Productions

My goal is to have a longer focal length, something between 35mm equiv (63deg Diagonal Angle of View) and 50mm. The Mavic's stock camera is 28mm equiv (78.8 Diagonal field of view).

See focal length <> angle of view converter here: Angle of view - Wikipedia

Since the drone is so new the answer is probably no. Do you foresee something that might become available later as the Mavic is likely to be a huge success?

Eric
I've heard nothing yet. The GoPro lenses are fairly easy to swap out. I have a feeling the Mavic lens is going to be a bit more challenging. For one, the mechanism is so tiny. For two, how are you going to focus the lens. On a GoPro you connect it directly to a TV, point the GoPro at a distant object, and then rotate the lens until it is sharp and focused on the big TV. Lock the lens down in that position and your all set. But with the Mavic there is no good way to hook the camera directly up to a large monitor. And there is the added complication that the lens is more sophisticated than the GoPro (which is always locked at infinity). So taking all that into account, I doubt lens replacements for the Mavic will be a big thing. You can cruise some of the Chinese lens suppliers websites to keep an eye out. Also, you could ask peau directly. They are pretty responsive to email.

Reactions: NooMavicUser
I don't see that happening...hell the Mavic gimbal is dangling on freaking rubber bands. Though I am familiar with the lenses that the OP has referenced

Reactions: NooMavicUser
Thanks for the input guys. I guess there's no choice but to get bite the bullet and get the inspire 2 with xenmuse5! I didn't realize how fragile the gimbal was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you increase focal length your video will not be as smooth. Sort of like trying to hold binoculars rock steady without a tripod. Probably work with still images and fast shutter speed assuming the gimbal can cope with the added load.

If you increase focal length your video will not be as smooth. Sort of like trying to hold binoculars rock steady without a tripod. Probably work with still images and fast shutter speed assuming the gimbal can cope with the added load.

Good point. In fact I'm looking for it especially for still images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendystroper