DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Swap the MP for the Mavic Air?

AMO

Reactions
Hello there,

So now that the MP arrived just last week and is still in its box, should I swap for the MA?

I'll be using it to start off a photo/video business (an Inspire down the road when I can afford it).

There is a 285 US dollar difference.

Thank you!

For 285, you have a Mavic Pro, "established Aircraft."
To get that 285 "back", you are getting a "Pig in a poke", first generation AC, teething issues.
I would stick with the Mavic Pro

Thanks Flycaster -- I appreciate the answer : )

For 285, you have a Mavic Pro, "established Aircraft."
To get that 285 "back", you are getting a "Pig in a poke", first generation AC, teething issues.
I would stick with the Mavic Pro
I agree and should be noted that I did pre-order an Air. MY MP has been a workhorse for the 1+ years that I've owned.

You have a much greater body of knowledge here and in general with the Mavic Pro and Platinum. That in itself will be of great importance when learning about the drone capabilities.

With the Mavic Air you will need to figure things out that may not have already been done by people . Just like with any new technology you wont know what the shortcomings are until they are discovered. They have already been discovered with the Mavic Pro.

I know how price point can be an influencing factor in the purchase. What you could do to minimize its impact on the decision is to shop for a better price. Recent postings indicate Costco has a great deal at $799.00 for the Mavic Pro. You could return the unopened Mavic that you purchased and then find someone with a Costco card and pick one up there. That might save you some coin.

I agree and should be noted that I did pre-order an Air. MY MP has been a workhorse for the 1+ years that I've owned.

The Mavic Air should be a great addition to the MAvic Pro , but not in place of the Mavic Pro.

The real gains will come when they release the Mavic Pro 2. If the Original Poster can wait then that would be the obvious choice. How long of a wait ? Hard to say. Some say a few months , but thats not written in stone.

At 54 my brain is beginning to get to old to handle a new drone and new technology every 6 months :D

I'm sticking with the Mavic Pro at least thru the summer

Too many unknowns about the Mavic Air at this point. Am I interested?? Heck Yea! Looks like a nice addition to the family. But, I will still be patient and see how the initial response is before I jump. Did not do that with the MP but, no regrets. Awesome technology when it works. Hope they tested it well before release and worked out as many bugs as possible without field test by the masses. Thumbs up so far!

Hello there,

So now that the MP arrived just last week and is still in its box, should I swap for the MA?

I'll be using it to start off a photo/video business (an Inspire down the road when I can afford it).

There is a 285 US dollar difference.

Thank you!
I would stick with the MP all the way, there is no significant difference in camera ( which would be your main focus) to do the swap. IMO. Cheers!

Reactions: MAVA4
A deal killer for me is no display on the Remote Controller. A must have for me is have the flight telemetry on the controller. Just this weekend I was high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains flying and my tablet shut down. While my MP was only ~600ft away it was behind some trees and could not see it and did not know it’s orientation relative to HP. What saved me was the distance counter displayed on the RC as I was able to yaw and move forward until the distance decreased and recovered my MP. Looks like you don’t have that capability with the MA and may not be important to you but something to thing about.

A deal killer for me is no display on the Remote Controller. A must have for me is have the flight telemetry on the controller. Just this weekend I was high up in the Sierra Nevada mountains flying and my tablet shut down. While my MP was only ~600ft away it was behind some trees and could not see it and did not know it’s orientation relative to HP. What saved me was the distance counter displayed on the RC as I was able to yaw and move forward until the distance decreased and recovered my MP. Looks like you don’t have that capability with the MA and may not be important to you but something to thing about.
I'm not sure of the DJI logic on why they do not use a RC similar to the Mavic. I'm guessing it has something to do with wifi

The devil will be in the details that are not going to be published by DJI. Give it at least a month in the wild before making any determinations. Alot will also depend on individual use cases you'd be building your business around.

Reactions: Omega Flight
Interesting note in the specs. The Mavic Air will record 4K in 100mbps. The Mavic Pro is only 60mbps. That has the potential to improve video quality quite a bit, and get rid of the compression issues in the Mavic Pro.

My response to MA after watching entire presentation this morning is Meh! Fine it has sensors in the back but all in all not huge difference. It is like going from iPhone 6 to 7 or 8.

I like the controller of MP, MA controller looks more like Sparks without the screen you would need to rely on a lot of information through app, which DJI has messed up many times in the past. So IMO better controller is a plus for MP.

Reactions: MAVA4
I like the controller of MP, MA controller looks more like Sparks without the screen you would need to rely on a lot of information through app, which DJI has messed up many times in the past. So IMO better controller is a plus for MP.
Kinda leaves the door open for DJI to sell an upgraded rc...;)

Reactions: Dizzy1971
The MP has way more flight intelligent modes like waypoints etc that are more useful for your fledgling business. The camera in the MP is great too. It seems the MA has a superior camera but without the modes. If your business is purely finding a vista to photograph, yes consider MA. However if your business is photographing construction sites with progressive photos and doing time lapse then definitely stick with MP

The MP has way more flight intelligent modes like waypoints etc that are more useful for your fledgling business
Hmm...I believe that the MP flight modes will also be available for the Mavic Air

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU