DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Switching between Normal and Sport mode in flight.

Rotorcrafty

Reactions
Hey guys,

I had an early experience with this when my MP flew into a branch and then fell in a puddle of water. I took off in Normal mode. I was manually tracking a quad-bike. It got away from me slightly so I switched into Sport mode to catch up. I had it in LOS, although at some distance away and at about only 5° elevation from where I was standing, I saw I was getting close to a row of trees along the river. I steered left to move away from them but the MP kept going until it hit the branch. The MP then fell slowly from branch to branch until it landed, right way up, in a puddle of water about an inch deep. Some water was sucked up into the MP by the cooling fan but otherwise NO physical damage. Be warned, though, that water, no matter how clean you might think it is, is VERY corrosive to the circuit board and the water had been dispersed throughout the inside of the AC. I opened the MP because I thought I might be able to dry it out. I suspected that the reason it wouldn't pair/link with the RC was because of water on the landing gear antennae. These were indeed wet but drying had no effect. I left the AC open to dry but the next day I saw green oxidation of some of the copper tracks and IC legs. I sent it in for repair because it could not pair with the remote at all, whatever I tried, and explained that I had crashed it and it was my fault. I expected to pay 600 or 700 USD for repair. I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from them saying it would be replaced under warranty! Despite my asking what the problem was, they never gave a technical explanation. I was new to the MP and didn't know the value of flight logs or how to get them from the SD card. I still have no idea why they replaced it under warranty but I'm not complaining. I don't know what version of FW or GO4 I was using in this flight.

That's my first encounter with a problem after switching modes in flight.
The next 2 incidents are very similar and they are in regard to suddenly losing compass calibration after having switched between the 2 modes previously in the flight.

I only calibrate the compass if I get any kind of warning when starting the GO4 app and any warning before taking off.
1) This warning was not displayed so I took off with high accuracy home point. I was near a dwelling, 2 vehicles and among some spaced out trees. I flew around in sport mode and back to normal mode for RTH. I nearly always do RTH to bring it close to landing site and then manually finish the landing if its in a tight space. I usually set RTH for the particular flying arena. In this case it was my default for general flat terrain - 30m AGL with obstacle avoidance. As it was landing and about 10m AGL, I cancelled the RTH to take over the final landing. As I approached the landing home point about 3m AGL, I got the Magnetic interference warning and it flew off to the right and forward. Before I could regain control, it struck a tree and fell to the ground. I did not see if it was in ATTI mode. The damage was minor to the gimbal mounting. Actually I was surprised to find that one of the 4 small rubber mounts on one corner of the gimal plate had torn and the one next to it had pulled free from the base plate. (Mavic won't supply these and I had to buy a whole gimbal mount just for the rubbers!). I passed this incident off with a little annoyance but no real idea what had happened. The point I took off from was the same as that which I was trying to land at. There was no indication of magnetic interference when I took off. I didn't think to download the flight logs as I assumed that there was some interference which caused the incident. On later reflection, I thought there is little reason to think that the interference, if indeed there was any, was created since takeoff, although this can't be completely eliminated.

2) Similar circumstances but in a wide open area on the foreshore of a lake. No visible metallic objects that might cause interference and nothing reported on takeoff. I launched in normal mode and switched to sport mode. I switched back to normal mode for a fully manual landing. As the AC approached me, I got the magnetic interference warning. I didn't see if it was in ATTI mode as I was busy looking at the AC to keep control. As I brought the AC back towards me the warning vanished and all controls as per GPS mode. I landed safely and without any other warnings of magnetic interference. I had to do some more flights after that and each flight was done on a formatted SD card so no logs for that incident either unless they are stored on the AC internal SD card, in which case I may still have them. any advice on how to get them?

So here are my experiences with switching to/from sport mode and magnetic interference. Maybe coincidental. I haven't had any unexpected magnetic interference warnings during normal mode only.

Anyone else had the warning during flight?

I will make sure to keep the logs if this happens again and post them here.

Eric

Only ever had that warning whilst it was on the ground, re-position it and all is well. A magnetic interference correlation to sport mode doesn't seem intuitive to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair