DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Switching Drone Flying app mid-flight?

dronestudione

Reactions
Hello everyone!

I've been using DJI Fly app for most of my time with the Mini 2, and recently purchased Maven which has some cool, unique features.

Is it possible to swap between the apps mid-flight and not have any issues? For example if I wanted to shoot photos in the DJI app but then set an orbit on Maven after? Or best to close one app when the other isn't in use? Will this affect the drone in anyway or will it just hover without issue?

Thanks!

I think it might require some testing on your part to see what works. Some say that you have to close the Fly or G4 app before using something like Maven or Litchi. I'm not so sure. While not intentional there are times that I've had Fly and Litchi open at the same time, controlled from whatever app is on my screen at the time. I was doing some testing today, trying to get DroneVR working with my MIni 2 and with a disconnected device I was able to start the motors, and theoretcially able to fly my drone without any app, though I don't think I'd risk actually taking off without a device and app attached and running.

What I do know is that if you had two devices ready to go, with different programs on them, you could in fact switch them in and out mid flight, though the flight data would probably not be intact. Again, testing for yourself will tell you what you want to know.

Hello everyone!

I've been using DJI Fly app for most of my time with the Mini 2, and recently purchased Maven which has some cool, unique features.

Is it possible to swap between the apps mid-flight and not have any issues? For example if I wanted to shoot photos in the DJI app but then set an orbit on Maven after? Or best to close one app when the other isn't in use? Will this affect the drone in anyway or will it just hover without issue?

Thanks!
App switching works much better on iOS than Android. If using an iOS device, switching basically works like you’d expect but on Android it’s much more of an ordeal and generally not recommended. You have to force kill the app that was running before hand but even then it can be a bit of a pain to get the second app to connect to the remote.

Reactions: vindibona1
App switching works much better on iOS than Android. If using an iOS device, switching basically works like you’d expect but on Android it’s much more of an ordeal and generally not recommended. You have to force kill the app that was running before hand but even then it can be a bit of a pain to get the second app to connect to the remote.
Not sure how it's much more of an ordeal, I just swipe up to show all open apps, swipe away the current app, open the one I want, done. It'll usually pop up asking if I want to grant the app access to the ec and I just tap yes.

It's only an issue if you set one app as an automatic default when the RC is connected.

Reactions: Meta4
Not sure how it's much more of an ordeal, I just swipe up to show all open apps, swipe away the current app, open the one I want, done. It'll usually pop up asking if I want to grant the app access to the ec and I just tap yes.

It's only an issue if you set one app as an automatic default when the RC is connected.
Yea like I said, an ordeal... On iOS whatever app is currently on the screen will be the one controlling the drone, simple as that. You don’t have to close apps and wait for them to start up and connect to the drone each time you switch. You can have different apps running in the background and switch back and forth as you please. On Android, as you said, if you make one app the default app, which is easy to accidentally do then then it’s no longer just inconvenient it’s a struggle.

It's not an ordeal.
You've exaggerated things to make your point.
I find it to be an ordeal and I’m pretty tech literate but that’s my opinion. Every time I’ve tried to do this on Android it never seems to work properly. Maybe my expectations are too high and tolerance too low but I like when things just work.

I find it to be an ordeal and I’m pretty tech literate but that’s my opinion. Every time I’ve tried to do this on Android it never seems to work properly. Maybe my expectations are too high and tolerance too low but I like when things just work.
And as an Android user, I find that there's no problem at all and it just works.
I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with it.

Reactions: RH009
And as an Android user, I find that there's no problem at all and it just works.
I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with it.

Same here. I go to the home screen, swipe away (close) the DJI FLY app and launch the Litchi app, and it connects and I keep going, or visa versa. Neither app is required to 'fly' the drone, it can be done with just the remote and drone (as I've found out when DJI FLY crashed on me). I was still able to fly back and land without any app open at the time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada