DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Switching from Android to iOS - Any DJI Fly App Concerns?

Bill Ballard

Reactions
Site
www.svjobeth.com
Hi everyone,

I will be, (in all likelihood), switching from an Android device to an iOS device in the next week or so. I'm curious as to whether or not I should be aware of any hiccups in the DJI Fly App moving from Android to iOS via the 'Move to iOS App.'

In the interest of clarity - this is not an Android vs. iOS question...thanks!:D

I use both iOS and Android, both work equally well. I don't have an iPad, but pilots do use them.

Here is my issue list:
The iPhone 11 gave a overheating notification once and went to a lower power mode dimming the screen.

Android phones are always being charged by the RC where in iOS you can disable that.

For me, these are minor issues, but I'm sure a post will come up stating one is better than the other...

Cheers!

I will be, (in all likelihood), switching from an Android device to an iOS device i
Heresy, burning at the stake is required. Lol .
Actually I got a 'cheap' iPhone to use with the fly app but it takes some getting used to and I tend to use an Android much more.

Reactions: Bill Ballard
I use both iOS and Android, both work equally well. I don't have an iPad, but pilots do use them.

Here is my issue list:
The iPhone 11 gave a overheating notification once and went to a lower power mode dimming the screen.

Android phones are always being charged by the RC where in iOS you can disable that.

For me, these are minor issues, but I'm sure a post will come up stating one is better than the other...

Cheers!
Thanks much!

Reactions: db4476
Heresy, burning at the stake is required. Lol .
Actually I got a 'cheap' iPhone to use with the fly app but it takes some getting used to and I tend to use an Android much more.
Lol...I use an iPad Pro, and have worked on a Mac Laptop for years; the Android phone was primarily my 'work phone.' But as I'm newly 'retired,' the switch seems to makes sense.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
As far as flying with an iOS device there are no issues with modern day equipment. However, iPhones and iPads have a certain Apple quirkiness to them. Right now I'm frustrated because my iPhone XR isn't letting me download files to my PC and is making me mad as hell as I've wasted hours in the last two days just trying to get one video file onto my computer to edit in Resolve. I'm going to try recording one more time with my iPad Mini 6 to see if things are easier on a newer device.

I need a new phone and am waiting until the release of iPhone 14 to see if it has advantages, but may ultimately end up with a Samsung Ultra, if only because getting files on/off the Android phones are so much easier than Apple.

Good luck

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
Hi everyone,

I will be, (in all likelihood), switching from an Android device to an iOS device in the next week or so. I'm curious as to whether or not I should be aware of any hiccups in the DJI Fly App moving from Android to iOS via the 'Move to iOS App.'

In the interest of clarity - this is not an Android vs. iOS question...thanks!:D
I have only been an iOS user and I have never had any troubles except for in the super hot weather it does going to dim mode but I’m usually using a smart controller anyway so it doesn’t have a problem

Hi everyone,

Under normal circumstances no problem at all but if you live in an environment that is hot during the year or in the summer, I would not recommend IOS . I live personally in Thailand and I'm using an Android Tablet 8" 1050 nits good for +50 degrees Celsius PM me if you have any questions ... ( Not Tripltek 8 Pro )

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpeg
    IMG_0363.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
I have both android & ios because of apps & drone support. I would take android on any day over iPhone. 👎

As far as flying with an iOS device there are no issues with modern day equipment. However, iPhones and iPads have a certain Apple quirkiness to them. Right now I'm frustrated because my iPhone XR isn't letting me download files to my PC and is making me mad as hell as I've wasted hours in the last two days just trying to get one video file onto my computer to edit in Resolve. I'm going to try recording one more time with my iPad Mini 6 to see if things are easier on a newer device.

I need a new phone and am waiting until the release of iPhone 14 to see if it has advantages, but may ultimately end up with a Samsung Ultra, if only because getting files on/off the Android phones are so much easier than Apple.

Good luck
Agree 100% with the "quirkiness" and PITA file download "process" using Apple products. So if the OP relies on transfer of files to Windows computer, this is something to be aware of.

No issue with the Fly app itself. I use both IOS (Ipad 5) and Android (Note5). Now dedicating the Ipad to the A2s and the Note5 to the Mini2.

Also...was using Android first...the feature to charge the phone while connected to the RC was very much appreciated. IOS default is to have this feature "off"...not appreciated.

Switch over is done and was relatively seamless. The issues I did have were not with DJI, but other apps, all of which are resolved now.

I won't be transferring to Windows based machines, so that's not a concern.

And, I live on my sailboat and move between temperate and tropical climate zones, so I don't feel there will be issues with overheating.

Thanks again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55