DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet Advice Please - Use of BT35E with Fluidity Aviator...read, you'll understand

gjmphoto

Reactions
OK ... I now have my BT300 glasses working with a BT-35E Box, Excellent! I just got them tonight and have seen them work with an HDMI cable from my laptop. Great. Lots more experimenting on the horizon.

Now, the advice I need:
I want to purchase an Android device that will run Go 4, that has an HDMI output for the BT-35E box, a USB connector for the controller, AND a bluetooth connection for the Fluidity Aviator (which rules out a CrystalSky). Since my primary screen will be the goggles, the smaller the device, the better and I don't have to worry about screen brightness as much. Which tablet would you recommend?

- Gary

Reactions: Lucky
Nvidia Shield Tablet. Used as they no longer manufacture them.
I saw those on Amazon still...Would obviously prefer new. And don't feel like paying a premium. Not shying away from spending money, just don't want to be ripped off.

Last edited:
Great tablet for what you are trying to achieve. Check craigslist for local seller and meet in person. Harder to get ripped off that way.

Please introduce me to your friend. But just me there are too many people looking for the controller. Kidding aside I did not know the HDMI controller was available yet. We heard someday but not yet.

I have a Nvidia Shield K1 I was lucky enough to find several years ago, closeout, for $200.00 on Amazon. If I would have realized how great they really are I would have got a 2nd one. Hind site!

I would look for a newer android phone that has HDMI output. Do a search for phones with HDMI output. I have an old Motorola MAXX that has a mini HDMI output but the processor would be too slow to use with todays drones. I lot of the newer phones can output HDMI using a simport adapter or something similar. Just be sure the phone has enough processor and ram to handle DJI GO.

Please introduce me to your friend. But just me there are too many people looking for the controller. Kidding aside I did not know the HDMI controller was available yet. We heard someday but not yet.

I have a Nvidia Shield K1 I was lucky enough to find several years ago, closeout, for $200.00 on Amazon. If I would have realized how great they really are I would have got a 2nd one. Hind site!

I would look for a newer android phone that has HDMI output. Do a search for phones with HDMI output. I have an old Motorola MAXX that has a mini HDMI output but the processor would be too slow to use with todays drones. I lot of the newer phones can output HDMI using a simport adapter or something similar. Just be sure the phone has enough processor and ram to handle DJI GO.
This has been a fascinating journey. It AMAZES me how little the companies that produce these products know about how they are integrated in real life. Epson is CLUELESS. Fluidity (Scott) has stopped responding to mail at all. DJI is pushing CrystalSky and the Aviator is Scott's problem. The only guy who seems to really know what's going on is EpsonMoverio, who's been really helpful.

So to summarize my last three days: There are a lot of parameters in flying with Epson glasses:
  • Whether you want to "Future-proof" your investment
    • The BT-300 box is not going to be upgraded (and then, certainly with a substantial cost - and since it is hardware, it will always eventually become obsolete), needs custom software to be written for it, can be overheated, glitchy, has a delay in getting new versions, and the touchpad is a bear to master (I still LOVE mine, BTW)
    • If you fly with the BT-35E, you can upgrade the CPU at will...BUT, you will need a device with an HDMI output AND a USB input (for the controller)
      • CrystalSky works with the glasses (but not with the Aviator, see below)
      • Nvidia Shield works (but is discontinued)
      • PERHAPS port replicators that have data USB connectors will work, but we will have to prove that out
  • Whether or not you want to use the Fluidity Aviator control stick
    • The Aviator requires Bluetooth to connect to the device (which is connected to the controller)
    • The Aviator uses its own software package to drive the drone...it does not use Go 4.
    • The BT-300 has bluetooth, therefore Aviator will work with the BT-300, but only WHEN/IF Fluidity writes a version of their software that will run on the BT-300
      • They said they are writing it and I confirmed that with someone who knows (via Epson)
      • I have not been able to raise Scott at Fluidity to confirm his continued commitment. I'm sure it's a busy time for them with their launch around the corner, but radio silence is a little nerve-wracking.
      • If he does not build it and build it soon, the Aviator makes a cool paperweight for those of us with Moverios
    • The lack of Bluetooth RULES OUT CRYSTALSKY - and I don't know if Crystalsky could even have run the Fluidity app
    • Since the new Smart Controller from DJI has HDMI out (4K at 60fps), and bluetooth (I've been told), it SHOULD work with the Aviator AND the BT-35E as long as Fluidity's app can run on it - which I cannot confirm because I can't get a hold of Scott
  • Use the DJI Smart Controller
    • Looks to work with the BT-35E and the Aviator, but only supports Occusync 2.0...so...
      • You'll need an M2 - I don't believe it will pilot an M1 of any kind (someone please verify)
      • You'll need to re-mod to use a Titan or other antenna amplifier
      • You'll need to spend the $650 and then, not use the controller!
So I've been able to exercise my BT-300 glasses with the BT-35E box with my laptop via HDMI as well as USB-C. All good. I even played with some side-by-side 3D videos and the '3D" feature of the 35E's worked really well. I'm going to try to hook it up to my Osmo pocket - and my drone (I'll use a borrowed Nvidia Shield)...and then I'll be writing up a full review (and maybe a video review).

If anyone learns anything new here...PLEASE let me know...particularly about using port replicators / hubs to work with an Android device that has bluetooth.

Thanks,
- Gary

I've been saying the same thing about using the BT-35E with DJI.
In most cases you can't because there aren't many devices that can run Go, has USB, AND HDMI. Usually modern devices having HDMI output uses the USB port to do it.
Most USB "splitters" are only to inject power through one of the splits. Only the other split supports data.

Reactions: Lucky
I've been saying the same thing about using the BT-35E with DJI.
In most cases you can't because there aren't many devices that can run Go, has USB, AND HDMI. Usually modern devices having HDMI output uses the USB port to do it.
Most USB "splitters" are only to inject power through one of the splits. Only the other split supports data.
Well...if you want to just use the BT-35E, it WILL work with DJI CrystalSky...just not with the Aviator.

Quick update: Scott from Fluidity got back to me this morning. He's been out at CES (where they've been VERY successful, btw) and that's why he's been slow in responding. He restated his commitment and high priority on integrating with the Moverio product suite. He met with Epson out in Vegas and is actively pursuing. He's not going to share timeframes right now...so those of us with BT-300s will have to wait to pair them with the Aviator for some time...but Scott promises it's a high priority.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu