DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet mount and hood advise

JCapps

Reactions
I recently purchased an iPad Air 4 and have been researching tablet holders and hoods for my Air 2S. There are a few mounts that I like but the weight of the tablet and hood have me concerned as some mounts have a weight limit. I'm curious what others are using that have the 10.9" tablet and larger. Also I've been looking at the Hoodman HAV3 as a possible hood and wondering how much of the viewing area it might block but it just having the straps to hold it in place. I'm really searching for a sturdy tablet mount that can handle all the weight with a hood that doesn't obstruct any of the table viewing area. Am I asking too much? Thanks

Reactions: mereflyer
If you have access to, or know someone with a 3D printer there are options available on thingiverse.
I am using this style mount (I'm using a smaller tablet so it's a different one) but I believe it will work with your tablet. There are shades available too. The nice thing is you can try out different styles and they only cost a few cents (and a little time). Do a search on the site.

With that size tablet and a shade you will need a lanyard of some type (those are on the site as well😀).
Good luck.

The MavMount tablet holders are the gold standard. I tried a couple of inexpensive alternatives for my 10" tablet and ultimately upgraded to a MavMount. No regrets.

Reactions: G Saunders
I use this mount, and I put in my iPad Pro 12 inch tablet. I couldn't believe it but it actually fit. Having the lanyard made it even nicer. It also comes with a carrying case as well.

The MavMount tablet holders are the gold standard. I tried a couple of inexpensive alternatives for my 10" tablet and ultimately upgraded to a MavMount. No regrets.

Yes I have looked at those and they look pretty hefty. A little on the pricy side but sometimes you have to go that route. Are you using any type of sun shade/hood? Thanks

I use this mount, and I put in my iPad Pro 12 inch tablet. I couldn't believe it but it actually fit. Having the lanyard made it even nicer. It also comes with a carrying case as well.
I have seen that mount and it appears its pretty popular as I have seen others that are using it. Are you using a sun shade/hood with that mount? I have looked at some but concerned about the weight because there is a weight limit. Thanks

Yes I have looked at those and they look pretty hefty. A little on the pricy side but sometimes you have to go that route. Are you using any type of sun shade/hood? Thanks
I haven't used a hood. I try to find a shaded spot to stand, wear a broad-brimmed hat, and position myself so that I'm shading the screen. But there have been a few situations where the bright mid-day sun made the screen very difficult to see; a hood would have been welcomed. Shooting in a wide-open field of recently planted pine trees, I asked the client to hold an umbrella for me. It's a big totally opaque one from our beach camping hardware.

I look forward to seeing some input from folks who use hoods regularly.

I haven't used a hood. I try to find a shaded spot to stand, wear a broad-brimmed hat, and position myself so that I'm shading the screen. But there have been a few situations where the bright mid-day sun made the screen very difficult to see; a hood would have been welcomed. Shooting in a wide-open field of recently planted pine trees, I asked the client to hold an umbrella for me. It's a big totally opaque one from our beach camping hardware.

I look forward to seeing some input from folks who use hoods regularly.
I have only had my drone for 2 months and use my body as well to shield the controller from the sun. Have used my phone for all flights until I got my iPad Air 4 a week ago. Downloaded the fly app and sat the tablet in my lap in the back yard to make sure everything worked properly before making any more purchases. All worked flawlessly so now I am pursuing more equipment. I think I am going to purchase a matte screen protector to help cut down the glare as well as the tablet holder, longer cable and hood. Appreciate your input.

Reactions: MS Coast
I recently purchased an iPad Air 4 and have been researching tablet holders and hoods for my Air 2S. There are a few mounts that I like but the weight of the tablet and hood have me concerned as some mounts have a weight limit. I'm curious what others are using that have the 10.9" tablet and larger. Also I've been looking at the Hoodman HAV3 as a possible hood and wondering how much of the viewing area it might block but it just having the straps to hold it in place. I'm really searching for a sturdy tablet mount that can handle all the weight with a hood that doesn't obstruct any of the table viewing area. Am I asking too much? Thanks
I looked at the available devices, none seemed to be what I needed so I made my own out of workshop leftovers.
Looks a bit funny, but very practical. With the rest areas for my wrists gives much better control of the sticks. Visibility is enhanced with a 10 inch Tablet inside. The weight is taken by the shoulders, makes it many times more stable, much better control and improves the whole experience of flying a drone.
Can't fly without it now.
Anyone with basic workshop facilities could also make something like this...

Attachments

• DSCN3395.JPG
    DSCN3395.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
  • DSCN3400.v01.jpg
    DSCN3400.v01.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 15
I looked at the available devices, none seemed to be what I needed so I made my own out of workshop leftovers.
Looks a bit funny, but very practical. With the rest areas for my wrists gives much better control of the sticks. Visibility is enhanced with a 10 inch Tablet inside. The weight is taken by the shoulders, makes it many times more stable, much better control and improves the whole experience of flying a drone.
Can't fly without it now.
Anyone with basic workshop facilities could also make something like this...
WOW thats pretty cool. Lots of thought went into that. Almost looks like you are flying a space ship. I like it. Good job.

Reactions: mereflyer
I have seen that mount and it appears its pretty popular as I have seen others that are using it. Are you using a sun shade/hood with that mount? I have looked at some but concerned about the weight because there is a weight limit. Thanks
I am using a sunshade I use with my iPad mini 6. https://a.co/d/fEGyM4V

The Beer Box 6000 provides maximum sunshade and glare protection while giving easy access to the screen and controls. 🙂

Attachments

• 7CA3DE3D-37AB-4414-8C69-44A52DF77C7D.jpeg
    7CA3DE3D-37AB-4414-8C69-44A52DF77C7D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 9BAB4F3F-7070-4461-8480-5169E028679F.jpeg
    9BAB4F3F-7070-4461-8480-5169E028679F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
That's what I have been leaning towards because of the full coverage. Couldn't stand it any longer so I just ordered the HAV3 for mine. Hopefully I like the setup.
I love it. I think it gives the best coverage of any hoods I have tried.

Reactions: JCapps
That's what I have been leaning towards because of the full coverage. Couldn't stand it any longer so I just ordered the HAV3 for mine. Hopefully I like the setup.
You'll like that Hoodman. I have an 8-inch tablet and thought the HAV1KIT (with 'extension') would be perfect... definitely much better than the ineffective 3-sided 'sunshades'. But I'm a cheapskate so I made one with thin cardboard, same dimensions. Immersive experience, much like sitting in a dark theater; or goggles except better - you can easily look up and see your drone with the naked eye.

Reactions: JCapps
The Beer Box 6000 provides maximum sunshade and glare protection while giving easy access to the screen and controls. 🙂
Excellent.

My only suggestion is to replace the upper box with a sheet of thin cardboard (file folder?) taped to the lower box. The BB6100 could be a bit lighter. Or for the Brits in the group, the BB600 Mark II.

Reactions: JCapps and Mavikhan
Excellent.

My only suggestion is to replace the upper box with a sheet of thin cardboard (file folder?) taped to the lower box. The BB6100 could be a bit lighter. Or for the Brits in the group, the BB600 Mark II.
A lot of research and development went in to this! 😄
The light box was chosen for its tapered top which fits perfectly down into the blue moon box.
But I like the file folder idea.... BB6100. Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
My personal experience, from Tennessee to the Gulf Coast, bright sun to clouds, is that the most glare comes from my face. RC Pro or my phone is the same. A broad hat keeping the sun off my face also keeps the glare off my screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ