DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet recommendation

Bella Vita

Reactions
Hoping someone can lend some insight regarding use of tablet for flying. Currently using my cell phone and having trouble seeing the screen. Want to utilize a tablet but my Samsung Surface Pro does not seem to be compatible. Any suggestions?

DJI GO will not run on Windows. You can find a list of recommended and commonly used Android/Apple devices here.

Reactions: pixl and Bunny Too
I've always been an Android-Only user, but after I bought a Mavic I caved and bought an iPad Air 2.

I had lots of app crashes on my Galaxy S8 running Go 4, i haven't had any issues since making the switch.

Hoping someone can lend some insight regarding use of tablet for flying. Currently using my cell phone and having trouble seeing the screen. Want to utilize a tablet but my Samsung Surface Pro does not seem to be compatible. Any suggestions?

Most tablets are fine. Samsungs cause issues due to their very non standard android implementations but even most of those work. DJI Go isn't and wont ever be a windows app though.

If you want second hand and cheap have a look for a Nexus 7 2013 or Nvidia Shield on ebay or the like. Not made any more but perfect for a dedicated drone tablet.
Im using a Huawei Mediapad M3 as my main tablet now and again it works perfectly.

People will be along shortly to try to sell you apple (as is always the case online with anything at all hardware related) but you really dont need to just to fly a drone.

LG G Pad X8 w/ cellular....cheap and capable and large enough (you need a mount).
I just scored a iPad Mini 4 128 GB wifi only and after some time using it I feel like not really impressed (maybe it's just me).The only thing w/ iPad Mini is, the RC is not charging your phone/tablets(android), but if you can root your android I believed that there's a fix and app for it.

Last edited:
OK Thank you so very much.

Most tablets are fine. Samsungs cause issues due to their very non standard android implementations but even most of those work. DJI Go isn't and wont ever be a windows app though.

If you want second hand and cheap have a look for a Nexus 7 2013 or Nvidia Shield on ebay or the like. Not made any more but perfect for a dedicated drone tablet.
Im using a Huawei Mediapad M3 as my main tablet now and again it works perfectly.

People will be along shortly to try to sell you apple (as is always the case online with anything at all hardware related) but you really dont need to just to fly a drone.

I have switch from my mobile to a 5.5 Crystalsky and it's fantastic. Very sharp and very clear with over 5 hours of battery life and no running issues at all.

See you folks are having trouble w/ ipad mini4.. Getting a new one on Friday. ios11. Dont know the build date for drone Mavic Pro. How do I determine that. Will the build date determine what version Go 4 app to use? Want to use ipad as stand alone device for the drone. Had trouble w/ new battery charging w/ the charger from Dji . Said was charged when connected charger, but when disconnected would only show one light. It did finish charging though when placed on the Power xtra smart charger.

I've always been an Android-Only user, but after I bought a Mavic I caved and bought an iPad Air 2.

I had lots of app crashes on my Galaxy S8 running Go 4, i haven't had any issues since making the switch.

Also had no issues with iPad Air 2
Liked it and worked well
Except you can't do GO4 offline maps
Something to think about.

Last edited:
Also had no issues with iPad Air 2
Liked it and worked well
Except you can't do GO4 offline maps
Something to think about.
Thanks Hollow Dog. Hey what is the white looking tab in front of the gimble [down in front} is that a protective film to be removed?

Does the ipad or tablet have to be on a cellular network or not?
It only needs to be connected to the Internet if you want to use features that require the Internet (like downloading the maps in DJI GO). If you're using a Wi-Fi only tablet, you could create a hot spot on your phone (if possible) and connect the tablet to that Wi-Fi network.

Just fyi, Amazon sells a nice 10" tablet for $100 that works flawlessly with the DJI Go app. The Dragon Touch V10 /with gps.

Most tablets are fine. Samsungs cause i

If you want second hand and cheap have a look for a Nexus 7 2013 or Nvidia Shield on ebay or the like.

I have a 2013 nexus 7 I’m thinking of selling as I upgraded to a iPad Pro.

Samsung Surface Pro? The Surface Pro is a Microsoft product which means Windows which will not work. Samsung is mostly Android with a few Windows exceptions. If it is Android but not on the official list, try it anyway. My Samsung Tab A is not on the list but works fine, especially since the latest updates.

...Currently using my cell phone and having trouble seeing the screen...
Make sure the brightness is turned up on your display. It really helps see it in the daylight.

Last edited:
I use an IPad Air 2 and am happy with it. I tried to use an IPad mini 2 and the video was really choppy. I like the idea of a $100 Dragon noted above but am not familiar with it. I started off using my phone, an iPhone 6+ and while convenient I just couldn’t see it well enough to be useful, hence moving to the ipad. I did buy one of those extension holders for the ipad though since it won’t fit in the stock holder and the ipad sits on basically on top of the controller but it works just fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR