DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet with GPS - why?

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
So I have to admit I've never thought of this until I was asked today why a tablet should have GPS when flying drones since the drone is already equipped with GPS. I had just assumed it was for the go4 app to be able to map the drone on the screen, but am embarrassed that I really don't know why after all the drone flying I've done. I've always used Android tablets with GPS without really thinking about it.

I've been asked to suggest an Apple tablet for a project, but apparently the Apple tablets with GPS are fairly expensive I was told. I have not looked at prices yet as they asked me just this afternoon. I've been looking at the updated list of tablets and phones compatible with DJI drones and I see some are listed as having GPS and others not.

The questions are then:

Does a tablet have to have GPS to fly DJI drones using the go4 app?

Or, put another way, can I fly DJI drones using the go4 app with a tablet that does not have GPS?

What are the differences between the two options in flight safety, return to home etc., if any?

Thanks for any feedback!

Does a tablet have to have GPS to fly DJI drones using the go4 app?
No. The drone uses data from its internal GPS receiver to track its location so it knows how to relocate itself when performing automated flight tasks like returning back to the home point or flying a waypoint mission.

What are the differences between the two options in flight safety, return to home etc., if any?
Flying without GPS on the mobile device is perfectly safe. Without GPS though, you won't be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or the features that reset the home point to the mobile device's current location.

Without GPS though, you won't be able to use the Follow Me flight mode or the features that reset the home point to the mobile device's current location.

Ahhh, thank you. This is the most important piece of info. I've used the return to my new current location function many times at sea without thinking about how it worked. I will let them know that they'll have to spend a bit more for a tablet with GPS. Thank you @msinger!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom