DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablets for MA, yes, again ... :-) before you chew my head off ...

ambarcapoor

Reactions
Yes, I have seen the threads with tablet recommendations for MA, thank you for posting the links to approved tablets.
My question is more specific, I'd like to know WHICH tablet you use or have tried and your personal experience with them.
I have tried the Samsung TAB A (2017) and find it to be a bit laggy with everything turned on, also pretty impossible to get into the RC.
If you have a tablet you like, with a mount that works for you, I'd love to see pics of the rig and a description of why you chose that. Thanks in advance!

I keep a list of commonly used tablets here. That list was compiled from recommendations from members of this forum and Phantom Pilots.

I keep a list of commonly used tablets here. That list was compiled from recommendations from members of this forum and Phantom Pilots.
Yes thank you I have seen that list and did reference it in my post It's a great starting point and I refer to it often As you can see, I'm looking for personal stories and experiences with various tablets, why they chose it and if they're happy with it.

I have a friend that bought the Lenovo Tab4 to use with his Air, and he is superstoked with it. He had the Tab A6 2016 which didnt work.

I'm looking for personal stories and experiences with various tablets, why they chose it and if they're happy with it.
If you don't get the feedback you're expecting, try searching for specific tablet models in this forum. You'll find lots of feedback, stories, and personal experiences in the search results if searching for commonly used tablets.

I fly with a refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8. Bought it from woot.com for $30. It's fabulous and has a pretty bright screen. If you watch woot.com they come up from time to time, otherwise they are usually pretty cheap refurbished on Amazon. A refurb is as good as new for these tablets, in my experience (I've bought several refurb Fires over the years).

However, in full daylight, I still need to shade it or use my LG G6 phone to fly.

Reactions: SpartyBuckeye
If you don't get the feedback you're expecting, try searching for specific tablet models in this forum. You'll find lots of feedback, stories, and personal experiences in the search results if searching for commonly used tablets.
Pro TIp! Thanks!
Will definitely do that as well. Right now, I don't have an opinion really, just curious as to what's out there. If it seems like a lot of folk rely on a certain tablet / brand that would indicate something I'm sure ...

I fly with a refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8. Bought it from woot.com for $30. It's fabulous and has a pretty bright screen. If you watch woot.com they come up from time to time, otherwise they are usually pretty cheap refurbished on Amazon. A refurb is as good as new for these tablets, in my experience (I've bought several refurb Fires over the years).

However, in full daylight, I still need to shade it or use my LG G6 phone to fly.
Thanks for the info!
What sort of bracket do you use?
And what cable connector?

I'm using this holder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0785HKLDD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not entirely sure I like this holder though, it's a little bit flimsy. In a few cases when I've forgotten the holder I just hold the tablet with my hands with the controller. I prefer the tablet below the controller, so I'll be looking for a new holder.

...and just a generic short USB cable, from the BOTTOM of the controller. :) Pro-tip: I always connect with the bottom USB controller, those little dongles that it comes with are kind of a pain. It's easier to just feed a slightly longer one through that hole.

Reactions: ambarcapoor
I have good experience with the new Mediapad M5 from Huawei, using the Lifthor tablet holder. Works great, no lag or other trouble so far. See picture in this link for more info.

how did you get the dji app? is it available in the kindle store?

I would like to know this too. I tried a Nexus 7 I had and it doesn't work. It won't load the app from play store and the sideloaded one fails to connect to the server so I can't use it. BTW this tab was used for my old DJI P2V and when I load that app from the same tablet the app DOES connect to the DJI server so it isn't the connection, it is the sideloaded DJI GO 4 app, seems incompatible.

I tried Samsung tabs before but the video feed was very laggy. Samsung has a lot of bloatware and their touchwiz UI is too inefficient it seems. It would be nice to have side by side comparisons. Someone with a laggy tablet may say "it works fine for me" but that is only because they haven't seen a better one to compare to.

I guess Apple seems to work good but personally I hate apple. They force itunes on you whether you want it or not and they are control freaks and lock every aspect of their products down to the extreme.

That leaves...?

I currently use a Nexus 7 (2013), supported by DJI, with Mavmount and Hoodman Hav1/Hav1e. This combo works just fine and is reliable. The Nexus 7 also includes GPS.
I read some posts about success with the Fire HD8. I found a deal and bought one, as it will fit my Mavmount and Hoodman. However, It lacks GPS.

The Nexus 7 works in the RC arms........it's a little tight but it does fit. Also not all Nexus 7's will run GO 4, must be the 2013 model.

Reactions: nigel
I would like to know this too. I tried a Nexus 7 I had and it doesn't work. It won't load the app from play store and the sideloaded one fails to connect to the server so I can't use it. BTW this tab was used for my old DJI P2V and when I load that app from the same tablet the app DOES connect to the DJI server so it isn't the connection, it is the sideloaded DJI GO 4 app, seems incompatible.

I tried Samsung tabs before but the video feed was very laggy. Samsung has a lot of bloatware and their touchwiz UI is too inefficient it seems. It would be nice to have side by side comparisons. Someone with a laggy tablet may say "it works fine for me" but that is only because they haven't seen a better one to compare to.

I guess Apple seems to work good but personally I hate apple. They force itunes on you whether you want it or not and they are control freaks and lock every aspect of their products down to the extreme.

That leaves...?
I bought the Fire HD 8 (6th Gen 2017) with 32mb on woot fire 40 bucks. I'm using a cheap plastic tablet holder, that feels surprisingly solid. 17 bucks on Amazon. I followed the YouTube instructions on how to load Google play store on the Kindle and it worked. Then I downloaded go4 and some other drone apps. As you can see everything is working fine. The only thing I might do is get a range extender. Hope this helps. 20180511_192107.jpeg20180511_192102.jpeg20180511_192056.jpeg20180511_192050.jpeg

My Nexus 7 is a 2013 version. The Kindle Fire HD 8 (2017), latest version. Both Work well with my setup, Mavmount and HoodMan. I like the Kindle as it is a bit larger, thus a tighter fit in the Hoodman. You can often find the Kindle on sale.

Yes. Very tight fit. No flopping. This one works for m2 series and the air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike