DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TABLETS?

skyeye73

Reactions
going to invest in a tablet for the mavic. apple or android? I use a Sony experia z5 at mo with so prefer the android platform, not a massive fan of the ios of apple. and what tablets are people find work best if they use android?

I'm an Apple person, myself, but there's a multitude of choices with Android, and much cheaper. Video capture is based on the camera, so you end up with the same video either way.

Have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" (SM-T810) which workes quite perfect with Mavic and has sufficient screen brightness,

Reactions: bunzik
Nexus 7 2013 with 4G working well enough here. No crashes in the 30 or so flights.
Works on my Nexus 5x phone too.

There's no way I'd touch an apple product. I'd get crystal sky way before then.

I currently use iPad mini 4 bought refurbished at WMart. All android devices I tried had issue. Nexus 7 2013, LG Vk800, Moto z play, moto turbo 2' and samsung tab all would randomly crash on hang. I've been using mini for 2 months with zero issues. I'm not a apple fan but you cannot argue with results.

I've been an Android fan more many years. From reading a bunch of stuff on forums such as this one and not being overly happy with my Samsung tablet, I got an iPad Mini 4 and absolutely love it, video is clear and looks good even in bright sun. I use it only for flying, the only apps even loaded are Litchi and Go 4.

Nvidia K1 tablet. I would not trade my K1 for anything. it is a great tablet as long as you don't upgrade to the Nougat 7 OS. When I first got the tablet I did upgrade to Nougat and took it out to fly. The DJI App would crash every 8 minutes or so. I rolled back to Marshmallow and viola I have never had the DJI Go or the DJI Go4 App crash after that. I now keep my tablet on Marshmallow 6.1 and have absolutely no problems with it! The tablet also has an hdmi out port on it and that allows me to plug my HeadPlay goggles right into the tablet (I can now see the tablet in the goggles). One last thing is that the tablet has a built in screen recorder that allows me to record all flights directly to the tablet in 1080p.

Reactions: Stuartboardman
People report problems with apple and android. Given android makes up 85%+ of the market share of mobile devices you'd expect to see a lot more people having issues simply due to numbers.
Granted ive seen mobile devices from users of all platforms in terrible states with sometimes literally hundreds of apps installed taking up resources including CPU, RAM and storage which can obviously have performance impacts on the DJI app. I think a lot (but not all) of the issues you see around are from people with devices installed like that as opposed to near factory clean.
There is an issue with some manufacturers utterly butchering "android" to the extent things aren't compatible as well - Samsung in particular a really well known for doing this and that certainly doesn't help.
There's a lot to be said for Nexus devices - they actually run Android whereas a lot of the bloatware companies like samsung and motorola certainly do not. You'll also get OS and security updates in a timely fashion whereas a third party device you'll be lucky to get anything at all and if you do, it'll be 12 months out of date before being distributed.

Ultimately id say if you're looking for a device purely for flying a drone with, get a Crystal Sky which will have a better screen, better inputs and outputs, a "clean" customised install and is tailor made for the task. Its a lot cheaper than buying a apple device you have no need for if you're only interested in flying.

I think the iPad Min 4 is perfect for flying. I also use the MavMount for it and couldn't be happier.

Nvidia shield k1, never had an issue with it as long as you don't update to the latest OS.

There is an issue with some manufacturers utterly butchering "android" to the extent things aren't compatible as well - Samsung in particular a really well known for doing this and that certainly doesn't help.
There's a lot to be said for Nexus devices - they actually run Android whereas a lot of the bloatware companies like samsung and motorola certainly do not.

Yes, that's been an issue for a number of my drone initiatives when using Android. Not always consistent from one manufacturer to another. As you point out, I found that Nexus seemed to work consistently with all my Android RC needs. I still keep a Nexus 5 phone and a Nexus 7 tablet just for drone uses. But I'm an Apple person, so my default is always Apple first, then to Android if there isn't an Apple solution. Whether good or bad, Apple is consistent.

Android itself is a good OS. The main challenge with OS stability is the variability of the hardware the OEMs use. Different processors and graphics chips and screen types and Android versions from phone to phone can create stability issues for developers. Android may have the vast majority of handsets in the market but how many are running the latest 2-3 versions of Android? The latest version of Android is only running on less than 20% of the handsets. It's a shame that brand new phones today are being sold with a 2 year old Android version. People may not like Apple for a variety of reasons but hardware/software developers like Apple because of its controlled environment. They know what the users are using and the developers can program exactly for that platform. Uncertainty breeds instability. I use both platforms but when I'm flying an object several hundred feet in the air at up 40 mph I personally want to reduce the likelihood of it becoming an air to ground missile as much as possible.

Avoid iPad mini at the moment, most recent iOS app update has caused severe iPad CPU overload issues. This causes drone to disconnect from app and wild gimbal behavior. After a flight iPad becomes extremely hot. I am unable to use iPad mini with the drone, even my iPhone 6s has CPU issues now after the update. Before the update iPad mini was amazing. See thread...

Device CPU fully loaded. Related performance will be affected

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242