DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TACO-RC Filter vs NO Filter

grizzard

Reactions
This is somewhat of a comparison of not using a filter and using a Taco-RC ND 32 filter on the Mavic Pro 4K camera. I say somewhat because the recordings are a few days apart but the weather had not changed that much. I used LUT tables in Filmora (Star Wars) to get the best visual on the lower window that uses no filter. It has a greenish/yellow tint but it was the best setting for acuity to my eyes. The top window is with the Taco RC filter and this renders the colors more true as well as revealing the distant mountains that otherwise can't be see. The jitteriness on yaw has been and still is a problem in 4K 3840 x 2160 but is lessened in YouTube ... (to me anyway). In full size it's not really acceptable but I'll see if new calibrations help any. But overall I'm impressed with the one filter that I used ...the darkest I have, ND 32.

Last edited:
You gave the "edit" link for YouTube which won't work for us.

Neutral density filters should NOT affect color rendition at all. That's what "neutral" refers to. All that should happen is the overall exposure drops by a certain factor, so you compensate with sensor sensitivity (ISO setting) or shutter speed (Tv setting) to match the original exposure.

Last edited:

Neutral density filters should NOT affect color rendition at all. That's what "neutral" refers to. All that should happen is the overall exposure drops by a certain factor, so you compensate with sensor sensitivity (ISO setting) or shutter speed (Tv setting) to match the original exposure.

Agreed. The frames with the color I described as yellow/green were from the no-filter test and comes from the LUT in the Filmora editing software.

This is somewhat of a comparison of not using a filter and using a Taco-RC ND 32 filter on the Mavic Pro 4K camera. I say somewhat because the recordings are a few days apart but the weather had not changed that much. I used LUT tables in Filmora (Star Wars) to get the best visual on the lower window that uses no filter. It has a greenish/yellow tint but it was the best setting for acuity to my eyes. The top window is with the Taco RC filter and this renders the colors more true as well as revealing the distant mountains that otherwise can't be see. The jitteriness on yaw has been and still is a problem in 4K 3840 x 2160 but is lessened in YouTube ... (to me anyway). In full size it's not really acceptable but I'll see if new calibrations help any. But overall I'm impressed with the one filter that I used ...the darkest I have, ND 32.

Typically ND filters add a color cast, the stronger the filter the stronger the cast. The difference you see may be due to incorrect white balance. It would be good to know what ISO and shutter speed you had in both cases.

Good to see the Taco filter isn't introducing colour cast (obviously an ND should be neutral but there is often a colour shift to deal with even in top quality photo NDs).
I have some arriving any day now.

I don't think the comparison actually shows anything very useful though.
The main thing they will do is slow the shutter speed and the results will look smoother as you get a subtle blurring between frames.
Any other differences are going to be down to different settings, light and visibility on the day and/or different treatment at editing.

Good to see the Taco filter isn't introducing colour cast (obviously an ND should be neutral but there is often a colour shift to deal with even in top quality photo NDs).
I have some arriving any day now.

I don't think the comparison actually shows anything very useful though.
The main thing they will do is slow the shutter speed and the results will look smoother as you get a subtle blurring between frames.
Any other differences are going to be down to different settings, light and visibility on the day and/or different treatment at editing.

I have both Taco and PolarPro (cinema vivid) filters and neither seem to add a visible color cast.

I probably didn't make this very clear. The bottom video with the color is WITHOUT a filter and using a lookup table from the editing software for the best visual appearance giving it a yellow/green tint. That seemed to be the best setting when I edited at the time. The top video is with the Taco-RC ND32 filter and renders the color more accurately and extends the visual range. Not a perfect comparison, yes, but tells me I can get a better picture with more distant clarity by using a filter.

Typically ND filters add a color cast, the stronger the filter the stronger the cast. The difference you see may be due to incorrect white balance. It would be good to know what ISO and shutter speed you had in both cases.
You are right .... I really should have written the setting down. I do know that the shutter was 1/60 and the fps 30 when I started.

I probably didn't make this very clear. The bottom video with the color is WITHOUT a filter and using a lookup table from the editing software for the best visual appearance giving it a yellow/green tint. That seemed to be the best setting when I edited at the time. The top video is with the Taco-RC ND32 filter and renders the color more accurately and extends the visual range. Not a perfect comparison, yes, but tells me I can get a better picture with more distant clarity by using a filter.

At least in photography, an ND filter cannot improve an image, at best it does not deteriorates it. In video (experience with various Sony and Canon semi-professional video cameras) I have never seen ND filters improve an image neither (apart from setting the proper shutter speed). IMO, something else was going on that created the difference in quality. I know, testing is a pain: could you repeat the test but run both tests at the same day and same time of day?
(Only polarizers can improve the quality of an image)

I agree with you. I used the wrong phase when I said "color". My goal was 2-fold. First to reduce the amount of light so I could visually identify darker images and not wash out everything, and secondly to smooth out the jitter caused by (they say) the inability to set the shutter twice the fps of the resolution I picked. The first was successful and the second not. However, when I thought I had the filter fully installed it hung on boot up and I powered down, reset fully, and rebooted. Whether that affected anything I do not know. But since I have recalibrated.

The settings I used with the ND32 were:
4K @ 30 fps/1/60 Shutter Manual exposure /ISO 800 /WB Custom 4100/style -1 0 0/ AF (showing in blue) and AE (showing as grey and not available)

My inside the house settings are pretty much the same ... only WITHOUT the filter. That is the shutter is 2x the fps

upload_2017-2-6_9-58-59.png

I have question what filter pack should you get?

UV/Nd4/8/16/32 ...5 pack or get the 6 pack with a filter 64 as well? Thanks

I use the 64 sunny day with snow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: grizzard
I have both Taco and PolarPro (cinema vivid) filters and neither seem to add a visible color cast.

Which would you recommend between them and why? I am leaning towards the Tacos for price.

Thanks!

Reactions: Jaysjob
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143