DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off from LAANCE airspace and fly into NON-LAANCE controlled airspace

spsphotos

Reactions
Not sure how the rules apply here. I live in an area that has two overlapping controlled airspaces. One airport (ALB) is LAANCE, the other (SCH) is not. So to fly in most of the Schenectady area I need to get prior approvals (I have several already). But to fly 1/2mi from my house I just need LAANCE approval. Now the quandary. If I get LAANCE approval in one sector that is adjacent to a non-LAANCE area would I be able to cross that boundary and fly there? See the screenshot below. I can get LAANCE approval in the parking lot of the local golf course, but the majority of the course is outside of the ALB zone and in the SCH zone. Thoughts? Both have the same ceiling of 400' and on the very fringe of the controlled airspaces. I'm thinking might be wiser to put in a manual request for that particular area and cover my bases.Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 12.28.20 PM.png

Think I answered my own question. Tried to get LAANC for that location and it failed right off the bat. So it's definitely under the SCH A/C.

Think I answered my own question. Tried to get LAANC for that location and it failed right off the bat. So it's definitely under the SCH A/C.
Maybe try a lower altitude when applying for LAANC clearance. My practice area is under the intersection of two controlled airspace’s due to 2 airports... AirMap denied at 200’ but immediately approved with LAANC clearance at 175’ AGL. I am not in a runway landing/ TO zone.

Probably best to submit requests through DroneZone and see if you can get approval for an extended period of time, like at least 30 days. Not sure how that goes for recreational. Also keep in mind about VLOS. You probably wouldn't get approval for a 1 mile radius during a single flight.

Maybe try a lower altitude when applying for LAANC clearance. My practice area is under the intersection of two controlled airspace’s due to 2 airports... AirMap denied at 200’ but immediately approved with LAANC clearance at 175’ AGL. I am not in a runway landing/ TO zone.
The practice area above is 4 square miles. Yes, I have. Two year clearance from FAA.

If you fly regularly in the non-LAANC airport, to go the Drone Zone and apply for a 107.41 wide area authorization. That way you have permission to fly in there anytime at all.

The "short" answer is NO you can't enter into an authorization zone without some form of approval for that area regardless where you launch from.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Hello. I am in an overlapping airspace zone; class C and a class D. Do I get authorization for both zones at the same time? I can and do get authorization to fly but sometimes I am having trouble getting approval. The DJI app wouldn’t let me take off a couple times, but mostly I just have to check off that I agree with the rules. Also, does any app “talk” with the DJI app so it knows I received authorization? Still studying for 107 so thanks for the help!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS