DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off, land remote, and come back?

rockgarden

Reactions
Folks is it possible to take off from one location and land in another location, and then take off and return to the starting point? I guess you would need to maintain signal and have sufficient battery. Just a thought I had and would like to try.

Reactions: ATW
Folks is it possible to take off from one location and land in another location, and then take off and return to the starting point? I guess you would need to maintain signal and have sufficient battery. Just a thought I had and would like to try.

Yes Remote landing is possible but tricky.

We do it all the time when were landing on the Lake.

What happens is when you land the Motors shut off and when you go to start again it will reset the home point from where your taking off and this can be a problem.

Best to change the Home Point back using the Map and drag the new home point into place.

Remote landings can work from very far as long as you have a good line of sight.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the water.

Yes it is.

If you have signal, it is very doable, and done it myself.

Last edited:
I too have done this. Allows reset of altitude to zero so you can see over taller mountains, etc. just pick the place for distant landi g so that you still have VLOS for signal or you’ll have to go get the drone. Also note that the Hp is reset so you have to fly the drone back to your location manually.

What happens is when you land the Motors shut off and when you go to start again it will reset the home point from where your taking off and this can be a problem.

Best to change the Home Point back using the Map and drag the new home point into place.

Remote landings can work from very far as long as you have a good line of sight.

Phantomrain.org
OK, VLOS and Drag HP to my location...so you are saying you can drag it on the phone screen?

Phantomrain.org
Also, learn to use the map to guide your drone home. While RTH is pretty dependable, it is not 100% foolproof.

Have done it numerous times just to see if I could do it but I never fooled with trying to reset the RTH feature. Just fly it back manually. Yes, aware of the fact that it will return to the second take off point as the new return to home if there is an event that would cause this such as loss of signal but I know where it landed and can hike over and get it in the event that ever happens. My issue would be the actual loss of VLOS when it is on the ground. Unless that terrain is flat as a pancake you will not be able to see it from where you are flying. Technicality for sure but still an issue under the law,
Like changing lanes in the middle of an intersection while driving. Illegal but not an issue until there is an accident. Like the saying goes "all fun and games until someone puts an eye out".

Have done it numerous times just to see if I could do it but I never fooled with trying to reset the RTH feature. Just fly it back manually. Yes, aware of the fact that it will return to the second take off point as the new return to home if there is an event that would cause this such as loss of signal but I know where it landed and can hike over and get it in the event that ever happens. My issue would be the actual loss of VLOS when it is on the ground. Unless that terrain is flat as a pancake you will not be able to see it from where you are flying. Technicality for sure but still an issue under the law,
Like changing lanes in the middle of an intersection while driving. Illegal but not an issue until there is an accident. Like the saying goes "all fun and games until someone puts an eye out".
Yes, VLOS always for me when I do land remote. I have a dirt runway landing strip by my home. Home is at one end and a very nice 10x10 concrete run-up pad at the other end so perfect remote landing site. Super fun to fly to end land and come back. Just something I like to do.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I didn't know you could do that...set the controller as the HP.
On the Update Home Position screen, you can drag the map to set a new home position, but there are also two icons on the right side: The upward-pointing arrow icon sets the home to the current drone position, and the controller icon sets the home to the current controller position.

On the Update Home Position screen, you can drag the map to set a new home position, but there are also two icons on the right side: The upward-pointing arrow icon sets the home to the current drone position, and the controller icon sets the home to the current controller position.
OK, I am going to try and test this so I understand how to do it next time out with Mini...thank you for the clarification!

I researched this question before myself. The only way (so far) to do that is if you have contact with your controller. The furthest I've done it is about 1/2 block. It would be nice if we could write a program to do that kind of like waypoints with a land and takeoff option

Contact with the controller must be present of course... how else could you TO... thought that was obvious.

I too have done this. Allows reset of altitude to zero so you can see over taller mountains, etc. just pick the place for distant landi g so that you still have VLOS for signal or you’ll have to go get the drone. Also note that the Hp is reset so you have to fly the drone back to your location manually.
I like how you plainly said “. . . Or you’ll have to go get the drone”

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder