DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Takeoff/landing pad solutions on uneven ground?

lomposlapos

Reactions
I need to take off and land on a number of drone-unfriendly ground types, such as fine desert sand, swamp, tall ground vegetation, rocky flats, snow, steep hillside, etc. I am looking for suggestions on what solutions are there to create a safe takeoff and landing pad in such situations?

For example, roof of the car, Pelican cases, from hand...?

Reactions: deleted member 877
Yeah, that Phantom Rain is awesome !!
What I have read from some and some that just don’t care
For them. Not sure on his new product as I just use my truckbed to take off from and handcatch.
Whatever cranks your tractor .;)

I need to take off and land on a number of drone-unfriendly ground types, such as fine desert sand, swamp, tall ground vegetation, rocky flats, snow, steep hillside, etc. I am looking for suggestions on what solutions are there to create a safe takeoff and landing pad in such situations?

If you don't like the idea of hand catching then you should definitely have a look at the link to Phantom Rain the moderator posted above #3. Otherwise launching from the roof of a car can be problematic due to interference caused by metal.

I know it sounds silly, but . . .

2 foot square 1/4” press board, 4 adjustable mini bar clamps to adjust for level at each corner. Or, worried about the metal, four 1 inch square wood sticks with multiple notches to accept the press board to level. Cheap and easily available! Paint the press board however you want, if you want. Corner sticks could be maybe 12” length each with the appropriate notches spaced. Angle the notches in the sticks slightly, radial arm saw is best ( you get all four at same time), so the base of the sticks are slightly outward. Or use dowel rods with appropriate same size diameter holes at the corners of the platform and point the feet slightly out to use only friction to hold level. Drones aren’t that heavy, until you get into the $$$$$$ big boy game! All wood material should be about $10 ~ $15

Added: if you are gonna be in that kind of terrain, inflatable post operative rings work great as an improvised seat! Not that I use em, just sayin’, you know!

All landing pad Items available at HD/Lowe’s
Clamps also available at Harbor Freight

I spent about € 8 for a foldable landingpad with three pins to keep it down. It gives a flat ground on the gras, keeps sand away from being sucked into the system and it was not so expensive that I would have sleepless nights if it gets damaged.

Reactions: SmileyGC

Hand launch and catch.

I spent about € 8 for a foldable landingpad with three pins to keep it down. It gives a flat ground on the gras, keeps sand away from being sucked into the system and it was not so expensive that I would have sleepless nights if it gets damaged.
I use one of those car sun blinds, about 1m diameter, it has the wire surround and with a few twists resizes itself to about 8" in diameter for inside the bag...

I'm getting pretty proficient at hand-launch and hand-catch ... You just have to be prepared for the rev-up that the Mavic does as you grab it underneath to recover it.
This time of year (mid-summer here), doing this keeps my Mavic clear of dust and grit.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I tend to hand launch/land if in dodgy areas, in fact 90% of the time I hand land, saves me bending down to pick it up (got a bad lower back). But there's plenty of landing pads and the likes on Amazon that would work, and the Phantom Rain product looks ace too.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm getting pretty proficient at hand-launch and hand-catch ... You just have to be prepared for the rev-up that the Mavic does as you grab it underneath to recover it.

Not if you turn Landing Protection off. It'll just sit there and not put up any fight at all when you grab it.

I tend to hand launch/land if in dodgy areas, in fact 90% of the time I hand land, saves me bending down to pick it up (got a bad lower back). But there's plenty of landing pads and the likes on Amazon that would work, and the Phantom Rain product looks ace too.
With my fine-motoric skills, I am afraif I would need an ambulance at the scene every time I would try it. Prefer the landing pad for me.

Not if you turn Landing Protection off. It'll just sit there and not put up any fight at all when you grab it.

Or just hold your hand flat and do a 'normal' landing...never had an issue with either the Air or the M2P

Nice if you want a drone descending (wobbling slightly) without direct control onto your hand which is also moving whilst stood on a potentially moving surface.

Might work OK for benign conditions but i don't want it descending uncommanded with spinning props when anything is moving (gusty winds, rolling boats etc). I feel its far safer for a stable hover and approach it yourself and grab - it eliminates the drone moving around without you telling it.

Mavic 2 can certainly be hand caught, you dont need crazy, internet forum-spammed landing "solutions" and so on and on even slightly rough ground it practically requires it as its so low to the ground. There are various methods but personally i dont like spinning props descending automatically towards me. I want it in one place and i go to it and grab.

These all sound like wonderful ideas for a Landing Pad for level terrain, but the OP did say drone-unfriendly ground types.

I do really like the car sunshade for use in taller grassy areas.

Reactions: BigAl07
These all sound like wonderful ideas for a Landing Pad for level terrain, but the OP did say drone-unfriendly ground types.

I do really like the car sunshade for use in taller grassy areas.

We sometimes launch from either a SunShade or the floor mat (depending on which vehicle I'm in).

I'll admit I am VERY interested in the Lunar Landing Pad from @Phantomrain.org

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851