DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking a drone on an airplane

akmixer

Reactions
What are the restrictions regarding taking a drone AND the batteries on an internacional airline flight?

Batteries *must* go in carry on - that's non negotiable for all airlines as it's a legal requirement in all jurisdictions I am aware of. You could check the drone if you wanted to and had a suitably robust case, but most people around here (me included) would keep it in their carry on with a battery installed rather than trust it to baggage handling.

Don't fly intercontinental but do a lot of flying in CONUS, I carry two Mavic Pro's with all the goodies in my carry on Canon camera bag, batteries must be in a lipo bag, never had a problem.

What are the restrictions regarding taking a drone AND the batteries on an internacional airline flight?

Batteries must be in carry on. Thats it. No bags needed, no special rules.

But please be aware of local rules and regulations where you're taking it to and follow them! (also check the country allows drones in)

I've taken my MP2 Pro on several fight including a flight to Antigua, never a problem.
Carry on only!!!!!
I discharge to 25 % and place each battery in a Lipo fire resistant bag in my back pack. The bags are cheap and you can get them from Amazon.

Safe travels

Here's a short explanation about why to use lipo bags for added safety protection:
The above page also includes some links to where you can buy various types of lipo safety protection bags

Here is a link to where you can purchase the Lipo Bags for the Mavic 2 Pro on Amazon: Amazon.com: Beyondsky Mavic pro Battery Safe Bag Explosionproof Resistant Battery Charging Storage Fireproof Battery Portable Bag for DJI Mavic Pro/ DJI Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro (#1): Toys & Games

Here's some extended additional info that may be of interest re Lipo batteries:

Reactions: TiagoDS and BSTEG99
Be sure to check the specific regs for the airline you use... for instance Singapore Airlines has slightly different regs than most. Could avoid a major problem for you.

Note that the use of Lipo bags and partial discharging of the batteries are both optional, not actual requirements. As others have said you should still always check the airline and local regulations for any specifics or recent changes to requirements just before you fly.

FWIW, I do both because if one of my batteries does have an issue it's going to be pretty close to me when it does, so if I can give the cabin crew even a few extra seconds to deal with it, then it's money well spent IMO. It also forces me to top up my batteries as soon as get to the hotel and I use the orientation of the battery in the bag as a quick extra indicator of whether it's fully charged or partially used.

Reactions: Dan C
As for bags, there is no airline or transport agency in the world that says they're needed and absolutely no evidence they provide any protection what-so-ever so save your money. Im not aware of anyone saying batteries need to be discharged either.

Reactions: Meta4
I am travelling overseas in 2 weeks time.
How can I fly my drone up to this time with full batteries and then discharge them.????
What I'm asking is....... How do you discharge your batteries.??????

They'll discharge themselves to 50% if left alone for 10 days, but it will take a few days to do so once the process starts, so about 2 weeks in total, IIRC. If you want to fly your drone right up until *you* fly, then that won't work unless you manage your flying to drain them all to your preferred level on the last day's flying. Alternatively, if you have a FlyMore kit, you'll have a little adapter that lets you charge USB devices from one - you can use this to charge your phones, tablets, etc. and drain the batteries that way. Using them to charge a USB powerbank will take a particularly big bite out of their charge.

Personally though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sure, if anything happens having less charge in the battery will reduce the energy involved and give people more time to deal with it, so if you can discharge them that's all for the good. However, as long as a battery is well packed against knocks and the terminals can't easily be shorted, then then chances of it cooking off in the first place are near zero. You only hear about battery incidents at all because it's an exceptional event; people fly with LiPos all the time yet you only hear about incidents every few months or so, and more often than not it's a knock-off Li-Ion in a phone anyway.

Reactions: LeRoytheBoy
My wife flew with three of my MA batteries on United from CT to MT in her carry on bag. Each battery was in a zip lock bag - TSA asked what they were for - she told them for a drone - no problems.

Depends on the airline as well. Batteries as most have said go in the carry on but on Emirates, they request you to inform them if you have one and also insist you check it in. There is chance they could confiscate it while passing through Dubai if you do not although I have not heard of this happening but they have rules which allow them to do this and you cannot get your drone back.

They do have some sort of compensation policy should your drone get lost or damaged though.

I have flown with mine checked in numerous times and now I don't really think much of it. First time of course was scary being away from it and trusting cargo handling but you have to do it. Just pack it safely and it should be ok.

One piece of advice. Fireproof battery bags. I've flown 8 times with my drone and batteries in my carry on. I normally carry 4 and have them in Individual battery bags. Six times TSA has checked and I've gotten a "Thanks for putting the batteries in fireproof bags" comment from someone

Always refer to the owning agencies rules and regulations, and check them just prior to boarding, they seems to change regularly. That will be your best bet for success and not loosing your expensive batteries!

Yikes..I just flew domestic last week and packed the drone and 4 batteries in my checked luggage. Won't do that again.

I have a Pelican case for my drone/batteries/charger/etc. I always carry on but a recent flight was on a smaller plane and the case would not fit in the overhead. the flight attendant told me i had to check it, I informed him that was not an option as there were batteries in the case. He said, "oh thats fine"... um no, its not. After some"discussion" I ended up throwing the batteries in my carry on and checked the rest of the case.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61