DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking drone on international flight?

RSDonovan

Reactions
Hi! Does anyone know if I can take a drone + batteries + controller + cables etc on an international flight?

I’m going Heathrow to Cape Town with KLM.

Thanks! I want to take all my droneware in the cabin with me! ?
You might find that attracts some attention as your carry-on luggage goes through the X-Ray machines! Personally, I'd check with your KLM agent to see if there are any issues or procedures in place, as you are not the first to do this. It does seem that there are enough concerns about LiPo batteries for it to be something that's other than a wave-through!

You might also want to check what regulations are in place for SA Drone use: What to know before flying your drone in South Africa

Reactions: RSDonovan
I've done quite a few trips, not thru London though. I just pack my drone, controllers and batteries in my carry on (usually in a small hardcase for the drone). When going thru the x-ray section i pull the case out and they usually ask, i tell them its a camera. off it goes thru and i pick it up at the other side of the metal detector and i go on my way to the gate. never had a problem. i also usually stick the hardcase into my regular backpack so less conspicuous.

i should also add this is all through west africa, usa and europe. have not gone down to SA, yet.

You might find that attracts some attention as your carry-on luggage goes through the X-Ray machines! Personally, I'd check with your KLM agent to see if there are any issues or procedures in place, as you are not the first to do this. It does seem that there are enough concerns about LiPo batteries for it to be something that's other than a wave-through!

You might also want to check what regulations are in place for SA Drone use: What to know before flying your drone in South Africa
Thanks for your useful info!

Like all of the above have said, Yes.
I discovered the YouTube sensation :rolleyes: Casey Niestat :rolleyes::rolleyes: Flying to Cape Town where his wife is from.
Packed the new (at the time) Phantom 4.
Awesome video he made - for not reading the instructions.

KLM has a drone policy, which allows drones to be carried in your hand luggage and your checked-in luggage. Prior approval is required if the battery is over 100Wh and up to 160Wh. Spare batteries can be carried as hand luggage only.Aug 10, 2019 .......this is off the KLM website.

This is the no fly zones in South Africa, zoom the map and be sure of your location before you fly. Geo-fencing is not active here but the common perception with many folk is that a drone 100 meters from your house can ''see everything''No-fly zones for drones

Last edited:
KLM has a drone policy, which allows drones to be carried in your hand luggage and your checked-in luggage. Prior approval is required if the battery is over 100Wh and up to 160Wh. Spare batteries can be carried as hand luggage only.Aug 10, 2019 .......this is off the KLM website.

That's crazy.
I know it is quoted off their site but how are they going to put out a LiPo fire in the cargo hold?

That's crazy.
I know it is quoted off their site but how are they going to put out a LiPo fire in the cargo hold?

As far as I’m aware, all airlines allow drone in cargo (checked) bag with a lipo securely fitted.
All extra loose lipos in carry on.

Yes it’d feel a lot safer having all lipos in carry on.
I always feel better having my complete drone bag in carry on, drone, batteries, controller, rather than trusting baggage handling.

Reactions: Dakarenduro
I've carried my drone in a custom case, I've thrown it in a duffel bag. I've traveled with the props removed, I've traveled with them on, and the battery in the drone. I've traveled with the batteries fully charged, I've traveled with them discharged. Never used Lipo bags, even on very large batteries.

I've flown all over the world. My drones have not even warranted a second look.

I do check the airline's policy before I fly, and I also research and abide by local regulations when I travel.

A good rule of thumb for batteries is always make sure they are discharged.
No airline or air safety authority suggests that.
There are many more lipo batteries on your plane apart from your drone batteries.
Every mobile phone, camera, laptop and iPad has them too.
And rather than travelling with empty batteries the airlines even provide charging facilities.

All my MP setup goes in my backpack, along with camera and power banks etc, never had any airline issues over the yearsThumbswayup

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242