DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking Mavic on an airplane

Questor

Reactions
Hello All.

In two weeks I'll be flying from L.A. to Hawaii.
I'd like to bring my drone with me and am wondering if I could be faced with any difficulties by TSA.

In theory there should be no problems, but I'd like to know if anybody has had any issues.

Thanks.
Q~

Im curious about this too, i think the security in europe has gotten a lot tighter recently. I am going to lock my flight case and shrink wrap it too

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

Im curious about this too, i think the security in europe has gotten a lot tighter recently. I am going to lock my flight case and shrink wrap it too

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app
Only more mess if they decide to open it!
Just use TSA locks and be done with it.
If security want to open any of your bags they WILL open them.
Flying with the Magic will be no issue so long as you follow your airlines guides/rules. The three cell batteries the Mavic uses are small and well under the capacity which arouses interest.

I think it's a lot more unassuming and discreet than a Phantom so I'd imagine it will be less of an issue.

I'll hopefully be taking mine to the US for Christmas. All I intend on doing is taping up the batteries and bringing it all on board with me in the Fly More bag. That should be fine shouldn't it?

I think it's a lot more unassuming and discreet than a Phantom so I'd imagine it will be less of an issue.

I'll hopefully be taking mine to the US for Christmas. All I intend on doing is taping up the batteries and bringing it all on board with me in the Fly More bag. That should be fine shouldn't it?

That schould be ok but remember that you have to be registered with the faa in the us to fly. So don't think you are allowed to fly there if you are a tourist without registration. Anyone from the us that can confirm this?

Uneducated pilot.

Uhmmm how do you deduce that ? They state that he was attempting to board a plane home from a convention in Las Vegas where he had been acting as an instructor teaching new and advanced pilots how to fly and operate their drones safely.

Uhmmm how do you deduce that ? They state that he was attempting to board a plane home from a convention in Las Vegas where he had been acting as an instructor teaching new and advanced pilots how to fly and operate their drones safely.

From the article "According to Smith, upon hearing that the carry-on contained LiPo batteries, the Southwest crew consulted with the pilot and informed Smith that he would have to leave the plane as the pilot did not want these items on his plane."

Reactions: The Editor
Ummmmm.... because I read the article.

Reactions: dam
Just carry it through! I do it... Casey Neistat does it all the time! He carries several! lol.

They usually swab the batteries but that's it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I brought my phantom 3 as a carry-on (using the orig box) on a plane from Vegas to fl and no issues with sw airlines. Strangely enough, on the flight back, I spoke with someone that told me he couldn't on his flight. If I recall correctly, he flew out from Colorado. Hopefully with the Mavic it'll b a lot easier since it will look more like a toy lol.

Has anyone run into concerns about the battery contacts? For Phantoms, the contacts had to be covered (and cover plates are available), but I have not yet seen any kind of cover plate for Mavic batteries.

Has anyone run into concerns about the battery contacts? For Phantoms, the contacts had to be covered (and cover plates are available), but I have not yet seen any kind of cover plate for Mavic batteries.

Not really requested by anyone but more of a good practice!

I use some ziplock plastic bags (one for each battery) push all the air out, I went through 8 airports (all international flights so through customs also) and was stoped every time but just to check what i was carrying

why not put electrical tape on them if its an issue if you are implying the contacts on the quad .. else if the batteries then get a pouch ..Amazon.com: Leegoal Large LiPo Guard Battery Fireproof Safe Safety Charge Charging Pouch Case (Silver, Small): Toys & Games

I've taken my Mavic on three airplanes as carry on luggage with the battery installed and have not had any problems. United out of LAX, Hawaiian Airlines out of O'ahu, and United out of Kona. I was carrying several cameras, batteries, Bluetooth speaker, tablet, Kindle, several chargers and USB cables as well. Scanner guy gave them a good look on the x-ray but sent them right through without me having to take anything out of the backpack.
Q~

Tell you what... once I get an actual battery in hand, I will post a design for a 3D Printable battery cover onto Thingiverse for anyone to make their own.

Reactions: lifeismusic
Taken my P3A with 3 batteries in the DJI backpack to Oahu, the island of Hawaii and Kauai from Portland on Hawaiian and Alaska Air, never an issue on multiple flights as carry-on. Got some shaka from other DJI owners in passing and some compliments from TSA Agents.

But try and carry on a decorative paddle for the bathroom wall at home and 'hold-your-horses' you would have thought I was bringing Lucille on board?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803