DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my Mavic to MTB ride

Staz_00

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic Pilots,

What is your opinion on taking the mavic pro out on activities that require lots of movement. The reason I am asking is that I want to take my mavic out when we go Mountain Biking. it will be nicely packed inside the fly more bag inside my hydration bag but I am a little worried that all the shaking and rough terrain will have an effect on my drone maybe not straight away but in the future.

Would you guys take your drone or have you guys taken your drones out to those kinds of activities? What are some do's and dont's that you'd recommend me do to keep this little guy safe.

Thanks in advance.

I take it on all day billy goat mountain climbing trails on my ATV all the time .Its kept in the rear rack bag..
Is your hydro pack just a hydro pack? If so why not get a good small day pack with hydro pack. Just pack the mav secure

I take it on all day billy goat mountain climbing trails on my ATV all the time .Its kept in the rear rack bag..
Is your hydro pack just a hydro pack? If so why not get a good small day pack with hydro pack. Just pack the mav secure

Good to know that it can handle rough terrain pretty well. I was worried about that compass and IMU being out of whack after going through really rough terrain at fast speeds.

To answer your question, My hydration bag is probably big enough to fit my mavic inside it but now that I think about it, I usually carry a spare shirt/towel inside my bag so I can use that to wrap my mav and other stuff tightly.

I do take mine out on rides in my Camelbak - it fits ok and I haven't had a problem yet. I have found that the tracking features don't really work well enough to be called "great". For instance when I made this video over a year ago, it took 3 batteries and an hour to get a couple of minutes of decent footage:

A year later I went to the same place and tried the same type of shots figuring a year's worth of app and firmware upgrades would make it work at least a little better. Sadly no.

With patience it's possible to get some nice footage but the true promise is not delivered yet. Maybe the Mavic 2.

I do take mine out on rides in my Camelbak - it fits ok and I haven't had a problem yet. I have found that the tracking features don't really work well enough to be called "great". For instance when I made this video over a year ago, it took 3 batteries and an hour to get a couple of minutes of decent footage:

A year later I went to the same place and tried the same type of shots figuring a year's worth of app and firmware upgrades would make it work at least a little better. Sadly no.

With patience it's possible to get some nice footage but the true promise is not delivered yet. Maybe the Mavic 2.

Great video!!!

Thanks for your input. I feel the same regarding the tracking features. It shoots off when the subject is too fast or makes a sharp turn, I actually almost injured my brother-in-law because of this, my mavic flew too close to him because he made a sharp turn.

Anyway, if its just basic follow mode like at the start of a trail or something, then use an action camera to do the rest then it should be fine, it still would be great to shoot from a different perspective at the very least.

Bottom line is that it is safe to carry a drone in a backpack while on a rough terrain such as a root section, rock garden, etc. as long as these will not affect my drone then I am okay with it.

I respectfully disagree :)

I thought this was more than adequate for what I wanted to accomplish. The tracking worked great.

Rad video though, thanks for sharing! [emoji106]

Hey guys , for those of you who used it to track while you ride . How did you set it up . Every time i put the remote back in my back it moved the sticks ? Did you use WiFi.

Since those days playing around with tracking features of the Mavic I've given up and bought the Skydio R1. Light years ahead of DJI in this (very narrow) area.

When I shot that unicycle video above in Dec 2016, I left the controller on the ground so no problem with moving sticks etc. After all it's supposed to be autonomous right? The typical flight was very frustrating that way as it would lose me a few hundred yards from the start and not reacquire. Then I would have to ride back to the controller and manually fly it back and try again. In the rare cases where I manage to escape the Skydio very often I just ride back and it automatically restarts following. Night and day.

More impressed with the cyclist.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143