DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking Off From an All Steel Ship

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
68 foot all steel vessel. Do you think hand startup and launching (drone would be about 6.5 feet above the upper deck) would be enough to avoid compass error problems?
TIA !

I dont think anyone would be game to give you a definitive answer, just incase you do crash!!!
A good rule of thumb, is to look at the map, and check that the AC is facing the same way as it shows on ther screen, in respect to north..??

68 foot all steel vessel. Do you think hand startup and launching (drone would be about 6.5 feet above the upper deck) would be enough to avoid compass error problems?
TIA !

You have two different kinds of Problems, you have magnetic interference which wont allow to take off at all and you have the compass errors that could happen after the actual flight.

The Lunar Pad offer 2 inches of insulation which has allowed me to launch from the top and hood of my car which is something I could not do if I just put the drone on top of the Car itself.

Today I launched off of an all steel bridge, and I had to lift and lean way over with the Lunar Landing Pad to hand launch and than let it hover a good 3 minutes before I felt it was stable and of course the landing was easy.

So it can be done , but not without some effort and some space between you and the steel frame, possibly at the very front of the boat , your titanic moment.

Phantomrain.org
Designer of Lunar Landing Pad
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain !

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronage
You have two different kinds of Problems, you have magnetic interference which wont allow to take off at all and you have the compass errors that could happen after the actual flight.

The Lunar Pad offer 2 inches of insulation which has allowed me to launch from the top and hood of my car which is something I could not do if I just put the drone on top of the Car itself.

Today I launched off of an all steel bridge, and I had to lift and lean over for the hand launch and let it hover a good 3 minutes before I felt good , the landing was easy.

So it can be done , but not without some effort and some insulation between you and the steel frame, possibly at the very front of the boat , your titanic moment.

Phantomrain.org

You cannot block magnetic fields with "insulation" - it has no effect at all.

You cannot block magnetic fields with "insulation" - it has no effect at all.

I am well aware they cannot be blocked . But the OP was trying to bypass them.

However there are several instances where placing the Lunar Pad down allows me not to get the magetic Intereference where as I have to recalibrate the drone .

First instance was in the back of my Trunk:
Off the front hood of my car.
Off the top of the car.

Im not sure they qualify as a true magnetic fields but they can cause me to have to recalibrate.

Im actually making a video of all the places I cannot take off from and than trying to circumvent how I use the Lunar Landing Pad to Hand Launch the drone to bypass it .

So my response was in reference to helping the OP .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

I am well aware they cannot be blocked . But the OP was trying to bypass them.

However there are several instances where placing the Lunar Pad down allows me not to get the magetic Intereference where as I have to recalibrate the drone .

First instance was in the back of my Trunk:
Off the front hood of my car.
Off the top of the car.

Im not sure they qualify as a true magnetic fields but they can cause me to have to recalibrate.

Im actually making a video of all the places I cannot take off from and than trying to circumvent how I use the Lunar Landing Pad to Hand Launch the drone to bypass it .

So my response was in reference to helping the OP .

Phantomrain.org
Coal

The effect of launching from a metal structure, such as the hood of a vehicle, is to expose the aircraft to its magnetic field. Objects - in this case magnetized ferromagnetic objects like steel vehicles - have magnetic fields. There's no such thing as a "true magnetic field", and magnetic fields cannot be "bypassed", whatever that is supposed to mean. And if they have a magnetic field, which is the only reason that they would affect the compass, then your pad will make no difference at all.

To the OP:

Normally One of the best places I can put the drone to get Magnetic interference for a Compass Calibration is in the back of my trunk.

The idea of the video was to get the Magnetic Interference and than show how I use the Lunar Landing Pad to re calibrate the drone .......

But what happened was the drone connected and I was able to fly , which changed the whole theme of the video as I was not able to show magnetic interference the way I wanted to and than calibrate the drone.

First 10 seconds of the video show the connection. This was surprising to me as I was counting on the Magnetic Field to force me to recalibrate . Where did it go, and thus the reason for purposely looking for Hot Spots today meaning the Magnetic Zone.

Being able to hand launch the drone is one way to BYPASS magnetic interference and the Lunar pad was designed for just that.

That video of that Magnetic Pier that kills my drone is posted on my website under the Phantom 4 Section under deadly piers..

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Designer of the Lunar Landing Pad.

See this post from a member who regularly flies from a 183 metre steel ship:

Reactions: JAW
Thanks, Meta4! I'll be launching and landing from a fishing boat that will be stationary so motion shouldn't be a problem.

Today I launched off of an all steel bridge, and I had to lift and lean way over with the Lunar Landing Pad to hand launch and than let it hover a good 3 minutes before I felt it was stable and of course the landing was easy.

So it can be done , but not without some effort and some space between you and the steel frame, possibly at the very front of the boat , your titanic moment.

Phantomrain.org
The best you might say is you are adding two inches of separation. Insulation has no relevance here.

I have a 2018 Honda Ridgeline truck with an ALUMINUM "Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover" over the truck bed. I thought I'd be able to launch from that cover, but no. I can't get a super-magnet to be attracted to the tonneau at all, so I thought it was the PROXIMITY to the metal mass of my truck that caused that problem. Guess I'll have to pick up a sheet of 4" styrofoam to see if another 4" of separation will be enough to allow takeoff. I'd like to be able to turn off the magnetic compass(es) in the drone for takeoff.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Could the compass(es) be calibrated on the ship? ... on the steel bridge?

I fly around basalt volcanoes and occasionally get the "strong magnetic field" warning while trying to calibrate before a flight. Usually on high ridge crests that are likely to have been hit by lightning. Moving off the high point has solved that problem so far.

One tiring day, I moved about 10 m up a ridge to a new fly point and elected to not recalibcrate because I hadn't moved very far - won't do that again. The Mavic flew on a track about 90 degrees from my intended course. As it was only a few meters away when I realized this, I recovered, recalibrated, and went on with my photography.

Circumstances dictate.

The Lunar Pad offer 2 inches of insulation

You seem to enjoy spamming everywhere on this forum which is annoying enough but claims like this are utterly ridiculous. You dont "insulate" magnetic interference with a pad. Basic, simple physics.

Stop giving totally misleading information to people and trying to sell them something.

Reactions: ajwilson
You seem to enjoy spamming everywhere on this forum which is annoying enough but claims like this are utterly ridiculous. You dont "insulate" magnetic interference with a pad. Basic, simple physics.

Stop giving totally misleading information to people and trying to sell them something.

I think threads like this get lost as my Response was to the OP : Offering possible solutions to clearing the boat.

He was going to climb to the top deck to try and hand launch his drone to avoid the Magnetic Interference.

I Suggest the Lunar Landing Pad because its new and Does Hand Launching really well especially on a Boat.

It also allows the drone the best chance to land back on the Boat.

There were no Claims being made : But I dont appreciate you making up stuff that I never said or words I never used .

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Coal

You claimed insulation. Quite clearly. Which is false. It provides absolutely nothing of the sort. He may as well just hold the drone above his head and hand launch/recover. Which most people do.

I directly quoted you so that's now making up stuff or inventing words - its a direct quote from your post. And its misleading.

The spamming is annoying enough but spamming selling snake oil is even worse.

You did not directly quote me, That is a Lie. No one is going to Respect you for making nonsense up.

THIS IS WHAT I SAID : The Lunar Pad offer 2 inches of insulation which has allowed me to launch from the top and hood of my car which is something I could not do if I just put the drone on top of the Car itself.

This is why I said it.

Well, as it turns out the boat's upper deck was wood so there was no problem, at least not magnetically. However, what I failed to properly account for was drift. One one occasion the boat drifted, albeit slowly, towards a NFZ near JFK, probably Class B airspace. Fortunately, I landed quickly. Had the boat drifted into that area, I think I would have been GeoFenced from landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost