DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking Part 107 test during Covid-19

marcorasi1960

Reactions
I would like to fly my Mavic 2 for commercial purpose, so I need to take Part 107. Is it possible to do that during the pandemic? I have searched online, but I could only find ways to 'renew' your license if you have one already. Does anyone know if there is a way to take the test now? Thank you

Reactions: Simone L
I would like to fly my Mavic 2 for commercial purpose, so I need to take Part 107. Is it possible to do that during the pandemic? I have searched online, but I could only find ways to 'renew' your license if you have one already. Does anyone know if there is a way to take the test now? Thank you
Simple answer is yes. A friend of mine and a member here took his test this week.

Great, thanks! I assume they did that at one of the official sites with precautions like distancing and masks, right? I mean, not online?

If you're asking if one can take the test online, as far as I know, the answer is no. I asked once and the FAA and as you noted, they are looking into it as a renewal option but not for the initial test.

This is their March 30, 2020 response to my inquiry. Things may even be different now. I'd check again.
"Hello,​
Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.​
The FAA is aware many testing centers across the country are closed and we are examining options for those who need to take the re-current knowledge test. Please monitor Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected] or call 844-FLY-MY-UA. Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)."​
PART 107 UPDATE: The FAA has published a Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR) on how Part 107 certificated pilots can establish currency while testing centers are closed due to COVID-19 response. Read the Frequently Asked Questions (PDF).​

Yes, online would be my choice, but I am ok going to a testing center if they do things safely, as I'm sure they would. Thanks for the input. I will check if testing centers are open around New Orleans

Great, thanks! I assume they did that at one of the official sites with precautions like distancing and masks, right? I mean, not online?
Yes, at a testing center and no, not online. If you are a licensed & current pilot (Part 61) you can take a two hour online course which ends with an online 35 question test. The questions are similar except you don't have Airspace and Aeronautical questions. You are then graded on the spot and you get your 107 Certificate after submitting your testing & other paperwork to the FAA.

I took my Part 107 last week, in person, in Wisconsin (93% ?). No issues. I wore a mask and was in a private cubicle. Took me about 45 minutes to complete and got my paperwork and was out within an hour. Good luck!

I took my test in April as the pandemic was beginning to accelerate. My local testing facility closed out of an abundance of caution. I located another facility at a airport located 30 miles away. They had already adopted sanitization protocols in the testing area. I was the only applicant that they had seen in 5 days. I took the test with a mask and gloves and finished in less than a half hour. It might have been to my advantage that there were zero distractions. I scored a 97 with 2 incorrect answers. 1 answer was entirely my fault and the other was the well-known FAA battery question that apparently many miss because there is one truly correct answer and it is not the answer the FAA prefers LoL.

Reactions: snapdog
I took my exam at a small airport in TN the first day it opened back up for testing. The testing centers were still closed. Masks were required and there was only two of us in the small
Room with a space between us.

Yes, online would be my choice, but I am ok going to a testing center if they do things safely, as I'm sure they would. Thanks for the input. I will check if testing centers are open around New Orleans

You cannot take your initial 107 test online. Those must be taken in person. But I took my second UGR last month, and the testing center was very accommodating. They have three computers in the testing room, but only allow one person in at a time. So no worries about being safe.

Thanks again for all the input. Great to see that they kept the tests going and that they do them safely! I will look for the closest one to home and sign up

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato