DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking Photos of a drone in-air with another drone! Looks awesome!

Yaros

Reactions
I don't know if it is just me but when I get a new drone, I like to take a photo/video of that drone flying from another drone. Does anyone else do this here?

Here are some of the photos of my drones flying in-air! (Click on the image to enlarge!)

Mavic Air 2 from Above.jpg
Mavic Air 2 in flight! Taken with Air 2S from above
NOTE: Right after this photo was taken, the propellers of the Air 2 touched Air 2S's landing gear, and I was lucky it didn't fall!
Please be careful when attempting such photos!!

1670872711482.png 1670872683915.png
Photos of my S500 drone flying. Taken with Air 2S

S500 Drone flying, filmed with Mavic Air 2

Air 2S in the air, slo-mo

I don't know if it is just me but when I get a new drone, I like to take a photo/video of that drone flying from another drone. Does anyone else do this here?

Here are some of the photos of my drones flying in-air! (Click on the image to enlarge!)

View attachment 158200
Mavic Air 2 in flight! Taken with Air 2S from above
NOTE: Right after this photo was taken, the propellers of the Air 2 touched Air 2S's landing gear, and I was lucky it didn't fall!
Please be careful when attempting such photos!!

View attachment 158202 View attachment 158201
Photos of my S500 drone flying. Taken with Air 2S

S500 Drone flying, filmed with Mavic Air 2

Air 2S in the air, slo-mo
Will "active track" work to have one drone follow the other one?

I doubt Active Track could track another drone in 3D space but I would like to know if someone has tried.

In order to get that clip I made, we were using two cruise control devices that I designed to hold the sticks in a very precise manner. I was flying the Camera drone and once we had forward speed established, I was able to 'rudder' over to within about four feet and hold position.

In my tests, (and I did a lot of them), anytime a 3rd dimension/axis like altitude comes into play, such as one drone climbing to reach the other, then even the slightest movement can cause the drone to go out of frame and reacquiring it is very hard. The cure for this is to stay as much as 30 feet apart but then it becomes hard to see the other drone when your outdoors starring at a tiny screen. I suspect active track would have these same difficulties.

I would like to know if someone has tried.
It doesn't work. At least with DJI drones, when clicking start in DJI Fly it says that the subject needs to be a person or vehicle.

Maybe it would work with Litchi, but I haven't tried it because I don't want to crash 2 drones at the same time.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
It doesn't work. At least with DJI drones, when clicking start in DJI Fly it says that the subject needs to be a person or vehicle.

Maybe it would work with Litchi, but I haven't tried it because I don't want to crash 2 drones at the same time.
Good to know.

Just to be clear, in my video, each aircraft had it's own pilot.

Here are a couple of stills I took and below is a video where me and a friend were practicing flying in formation. Of course straight flight is possible at these distances but not much else.

In order to get that clip I made, we were using two cruise control devices that I designed to hold the sticks in a very precise manner. I was flying the Camera drone and once we had forward speed established, I was able to 'rudder' over to within about four feet and hold position.

Not exactly drone-to-drone, but trail-camera to drone. I had to tape a hand-warmer packet to the Mini-II so the infra-red detector on the trail camera would see it. Trail camera has a close-up lens taped on to get birds on that snag in focus.1671290183494.png

This was during an event earlier this year, & I noticed out of the corner of my eye, someone else was also flying a drone, so I took a pic of it.

Not having discussed it 1st with the other pilot, I didn't try to go fly too close to it to get a better shot.

In the 2nd pic, you can see the tiny spot of the other drone in the upper right of the pic, against the sky.

My 1st time seeing someone else flying a drone in my area - afaik, there are no nearby clubs or organizations, so aside from this single occasion, I'm always flying solo.

For the inevitable “Karens”, No, I didn't fly over groups of people; in fact, I went out of my way to avoid &/ fly around them & No, I wasn't doing this in violation of Part 107, or any other commercial endeavour. Purely for my own practice & enjoyment.

& No, I didn't imbibe in anything that would violate the safety rules of either flying or driving (I have a CDL).

Attachments

• DJI_0373.JPG
    DJI_0373.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DJI_0375.JPG
    DJI_0375.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads