DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking the MP or MPP on a journey without electricity

fenea

Reactions
I like hiking and sometimes my hikes are lasting for more than a few days, I just bought my MPP and I was looking for ways to take it with me, the biggest challenge is to charge the batteries away from home or car.

So, the only possibility I've found so far is to take a car jump starter (12V power bank) and use an adaptor to create a car socket, but this is pretty bulky, 2 adaptors, while the car charger from DJI isn't exactly small and for my back every gram counts. (probably taking a mavic air was a better idea :) )

I was wondering if somebody has a different setup, I guess a USB C to DJI battery adaptor could also work but I couldn't find any.

Do any of you guys have an away from house/car charging setup?
If so can you also include the power bank you're using (I've noticed that the juice/weight ratio can differ these power banks)?

This subject has been discussed at length in numerous threads in the past.
It's generally found that charging batteries for the drone at least is not really viable off grid, or away from a motor vehicle, as reasonable size solar panel etc just don't have enough power and you need to charge an actual battery to then use a 12v charger on the batteries.
Duration of daylight, shading under canopy ec, it's all too unreliable.

I'll try and find one in particular from a while ago, and post a link, hang on . . .

Try these for some info / ideas . . .

Not sure if @krikite is still with us, last post was Sept '19, he may have an update on his trials.

Reactions: charliej
I like hiking and sometimes my hikes are lasting for more than a few days, I just bought my MPP and I was looking for ways to take it with me, the biggest challenge is to charge the batteries away from home or car.

So, the only possibility I've found so far is to take a car jump starter (12V power bank) and use an adaptor to create a car socket, but this is pretty bulky, 2 adaptors, while the car charger from DJI isn't exactly small and for my back every gram counts. (probably taking a mavic air was a better idea :) )

I was wondering if somebody has a different setup, I guess a USB C to DJI battery adaptor could also work but I couldn't find any.

If so can you also include the power bank you're using (I've noticed that the juice/weight ratio can differ these power banks)?
While it may be more expensive, I feel the best approach is to just buy more Mavic batteries. Easiest solution.

I was just going to recommend the battery power bank. Costco sells one that is compact, has usb connection and is a great source for recharging your drone batteries. I found it won't necessarily work to jump a battery but does a great job as a back up and you don't have to bring the battery cables with you. You can also charge it enroute to your destination. :) It's also not that expensive @ $60US.

Reactions: Turkeytracks
While it may be more expensive, I feel the best approach is to just buy more Mavic batteries. Easiest solution.

Other threads have generally led to this conclusion.
Even if you could find some sort of power bank with the right connections and power to manage to charge an M1P in the field, there would be great power loses in the process, the unit would weigh far more than extra batteries.

Why I have 6 batteries for my M1P, and if I feel more required for a big day or weekend, I could throw in my Spark with it's 3.
I would also plan flights and shots to get a lot more in this situation, up, fly, shoot, and down.
Pay a lot more attention to weather / wind to ensure I can use a battery for a series of 3 or 4 short flights.
If a battery is at 25%, I can use that for another one or two 30 - 60 second shots safely straight up and down.

Reactions: Thomas B
I always carry 5 batteries for my M2P, and 10 if it’s a long home or overnight trip.... Always something unplanned that warrants imaging from the air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851