DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Talladega Superspeedway Fall 2021 Friday of Race Week

Sorry - was in a hurry. I'm just curious if those rules are effective when the race starts - as in when competitors begin showing up - or if the rules only apply during actual track time? If only track time plus or minus an hour, there'd still be remnants of crowds in the stands and parking, so I'd think they mean no flights during the entire race - days of clear air. But I don't know. Maybe you do?

Sorry - was in a hurry. I'm just curious if those rules are effective when the race starts - as in when competitors begin showing up - or if the rules only apply during actual track time? If only track time plus or minus an hour, there'd still be remnants of crowds in the stands and parking, so I'd think they mean no flights during the entire race - days of clear air. But I don't know. Maybe you do?

I read it as an hour before to an hour after the actual event. The particular week of Talladega there was no practicing and no events except for Saturday and Sunday. I did all my flying around there Monday thru Friday and usually later in the day. On race days of the actual events there was a TV helicoptor and a police helicopter circling the track the entire time. Would have to be crazy to fly then. Of course during the actual events I'm sitting in the grandstands with drones being the last thing on my mind.

I always use this app too for monitoring the airspace where I'm at. Here's what it looked like on race days with my RV site circled in red which was my launch point for flights that week.

InkedScreenshot_20211002-164719_FlightAware_LI.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love to get to Talladega one day!!! Several years ago, I had the opportunity to the Toyota Save Mart 350 @ the Sonoma Raceway here in CA (road course). I thought the cars sound loud on TV if you have the volume up, but not even close to being there as those cars race by. Holy Smokes they're loud. Loved every minute of it!!

Reactions: fuzzball
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots