DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tap to Focus. Is this really a good Idea for the Mavic?

rmb

Reactions
As a professional Aerial and Terrestrial Cinematographer trust me I get focus and the benefits that shallow depth of field can provide. In fact when I fly for the movie industry that's exactly what they want (for most shots). In those cases I fly my Inspire and someone else (with a big monitor) pulls focus. My question here after owning the Mavic for only a short time is that many of the wonderful shots that these Aerial Platforms can provide are cinematic moments like coming up over a close foreground element to reveal a big detained valley or city. Or doing a dramatic push in or pull out on a subject. My question is that I am unsure exactly how one gets these shots with this little guy. And BTW if there is a technique I would humbly welcome it as this is not a bashing of an otherwise miracle of a flying machine. Even on the P4 Pro which has tap to focus it's possible to achieve as once you tap-focus you can shut the aperture down to a f5.6, an f8 or even f11 which will give you a huge depth of field for the special shots. But with an aperture fixed at only 2.8 it seems unlikely. Anyway like I said, I would love to get either opinions or schooling on this as I would really like to use this very portable and fun-to-fly platform for things other than stills, selfies and just flying over things.

Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
rb

Reactions: Daptone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore