DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tap to focus..

Dennis

Reactions
To me, the Mavic seems more like a personal drone rather than a professional photography platform like the Phantom line of drones.. I'm not liking the tap to focus feature.. If I'm flying the drone, will I be constantly tapping to focus? Yes, I know I can set to infinity but if thats the case, it should default to that like the Phantom's do, then allow the user to switch to tap to focus mode when required..

I'm concerned the active track mode might get confused when not in focus..

So not being able to focus makes it more professional for photography?

I think there will be an option to start up the Mavic with focus to infinity.

The only real time I see using TTF is when you change what your subject and composition is. If you are "focusing" on a tight shot of a smaller object (statue or person) in the "selfie" (I really hate that word) mode, then you will want some DoF. Should also be using Tripod mode as well. This would actually make a great cinematic view, having some DoF with the drone on follow mode.

Then, when you want the full landscape or wide shots of the area, take it out of tripod mode, scream up to altitude, TTF on a distant object and fly your mission. I realize the second it takes to TTF is going to cost the shot. Unlike the time it takes to open and setup the P4 (for example).

Instead of worrying about that one second it takes to tap the screen, plan out the shots and take advantage of it. Work it into the mission. That way, all the footage doesnt look the same as it does now with the fixed focus super-wide lenses out there.

I have the Inspire 1 Pro and use tap to focus in most flights. I take off and focus at about the distance I want and press on. Having the option to focus gives you control. One issue with auto focus is that if you are looking upwards a bit and have mostly sky in the FOV then the focus can hunt and that's bad. The same thing can happen when looking down at a body of water for example. So, either you have fixed focus or you have manual focus -- I'l take manual focus any day of the week...

Brian

Reactions: Deckyon
I apologize for the redundant post, but I started a thread entitle "Is Tap-to-focus really a good idea on a Mavic?. Either I suck at writing titles or everyone thought it was rhetorical. So I got no responses. Anyway as you guys seem to be knowledgeable and on it, I would love to hear your thoughts on my comments/question below. Thanks!

As a professional Aerial and Terrestrial Cinematographer trust me I get focus and the benefits that shallow depth of field can provide. In fact when I fly for the movie industry that's exactly what they want (for most shots). In those cases I fly my Inspire and someone else (with a big monitor) pulls focus. My question here after owning the Mavic for only a short time is that many of the wonderful shots that these Aerial Platforms can provide are cinematic moments like coming up over a close foreground element to reveal a big detained valley or city. Or doing a dramatic push in or pull out on a subject. My question is that I am unsure exactly how one gets these shots with this little guy. And BTW if there is a technique I would humbly welcome it as this is not a bashing of an otherwise miracle of a flying machine. Even on the P4 Pro which has tap to focus it's possible to achieve as once you tap-focus you can shut the aperture down to a f5.6, an f8 or even f11 which will give you a huge depth of field for the special shots. But with an aperture fixed at only 2.8 it seems unlikely. Anyway like I said, I would love to get either opinions or schooling on this as I would really like to use this very portable and fun-to-fly platform for things other than stills, selfies and just flying over things.
Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
rb

I think tap-to-focus sucks... (that is without an auto-focus option). I have messed up SEVERAL flights already... I mean, are you really supposed to be able to see that something is out of focus on a 5" screen??!!

This means you are constantly tapping the screen and taking your hand away from the controls...

Yes, I'm sure I can get used to it, but in the meantime I pretty much hate it for a "sport ship" like this...

I AM HOPING FOR AN AUTO-FOCUS on a future firmware upgrade.

The latest f/w already gives you this but it is not a continuous a/f it focuses every x seconds.

From my experience the new A/F feature (and even continuous A/F if it is ever introduced) is useless and auto focus will actually ruin more shots than it will improve. Even if it does A/F at the center of the screen what if your subject is off center frame. Seriously, just stick to manual focus and get into the routine of using it. This is the only way you can guarantee all your footage will be spot on.
In reality you do not have to see if something is OOF on the screen, after several flights you will be able to judge if the frame has changed significantly and then simply tap to focus on the new subject. It is just practice.
The only thing that could help repeat offenders if to set and,lock the focus at infinity and disable tap to focus but then anything in the frame which is closer will obviously be out of focus.

do you have to hold down your finger for a couple seconds on the screen to focus. I notice if I just tap screen nothing happens.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent