DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Tapping" Front LED's Power

FlyGuy8675309

Reactions
I am looking outfitting a Mavic with a wired lighting system - does anyone know if it's possible to tap the front LED leads and route it to a lighting controller and some Strobons. Here's the specs on what the Strobons use for power. If it's even possible, I'm wondering how many lights it would support. Not too concerned if it shortens flight time, even if it's 5-7 minutes.

Any ideas and knowledge on this issue is welcome. For guys that have been doing DIY hobby stuff for a while: If this is a BAD idea, please say so.
  • Supply Voltage: 3.5 - 6 volt
  • Current Consumption per hour @5V
    Strobe: 60mA (1A when flashing)
    Blink: 70mA (150ma ON)
    Heartbeat: 120mA
    Rolling Beacon : 170mA (1A when flashing)
    Static: 140mA
  • Diameter: 21.5mm
  • Height: 6mm
  • Screw Holes: 1.5mm diameter & 18mm distance
  • Weight: 1.50 gram without wires
  • Wire Length: 30cm (only for "with wire" option)
strobon_v2_site.png

STROBON v2 Navigation Light (BLUE) - Flytron

I'd have to measure the voltage feeding the LEDs and look at the PCB for resistors feeding the LEDs to work out the current and voltage capability

I'd have to measure the voltage feeding the LEDs and look at the PCB for resistors feeding the LEDs to work out the current and voltage capability
Ahhh.. I gotcha. The resistor is on the board, not inline with the lead going to the LED. Makes sense.

My main goal is being able to turn the lights on and off remotely, just like you can with the stock front LED's. Would be great if DJI gave is an input that we could assign to a button. :)

So if I can't tap the stock LED's, I would need a battery, a receiver, and another remote (transmitter) dedicated for the lights --- but we'll save that for another thread if this idea is DOA.

Thanks, HH for your input, BTW. Sounds like you know your stuff!

If you have an external battery for the lights you wish to install then you could use a transistor or mosfet to switch the power using a feed from the leg LEDs which will be negligible loading so it'll be fine even with the LED still fitted

Or connect to the mavic battery and use a 5v voltage regulator

Thick black and white wires

Attachments

• DSC_0486.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
What you could look at doing is instead of ripping anything apart, use a light sensitive resistor to control a spst relay. Google about how to get power via the Mavics battery by a slipover on the battery connector. So when you turn the lights on it increases the resistance and actually closes the relay, have your closed circuit side on the off position of the relay and forward bias the relay so it stays open all the time, only closing when you turn the front lights on. Basically it's all in reverse, but if you draw it out on paper it will make sense to you. If you're familiar with circuit design then you could create a fairly small board that contains all SMD components. Use www.pcbway.com and get a few boards made and then you can sell a few and make your money back, I'm sure a lot of people are wanting the same thing you are. I could draw and design the circuit if I can get some free time.

No problem.

Another cool thing with that setup is you could rig your drone to automatically turn it's navigation lights on as the ambient light around it went into twilight. So, if you were up doing a shot and you had a waiver allowing you to go past the 107 time, you could set this up so it just turned them on for you. You wouldn't change anything besides the moving your closed lead to the other pole on the relay. Also you'd want a trimmer pot in there to be able to set how much light it takes to actually close the relay coil.

You could always use a photonic transistor so you would not have to dissemble the drone and voiding warranty. It will, with a bit of magic, drive a servo when it sees the LED lit.

I use one to trigger a bait drop mechanism. I just turn on the front LEDs via the remote and the servo is driven by the transistor.

Wow - lots of great ideas here. Thanks guys. @aeras: Cool idea, but this is just for hobby flying and I want to have full control of the lights so I don't create a huge scene when landing.

I want to turn off an my LED lights and fly incognito with all he laws ..We can’t fly legally at night or anywhere in he cities in Canada..lol..SO I’m looking for he stealth technology .lol

Luckily, this stealth technology exists:

10066737.jpg

(BTW, front LEDs can be turned off in the app)
Mine are always off...I meant real stealth like invisibility, i’m Sure they are using them on their crafts, they have the thech, for tanks at least..I want that lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929