DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tasmania Silage season first real edits

scott5689

Reactions
hi guys just trying to get some pointers ive never really done any editing of the footage from my drone and figured this would be the best place to post some before and afters and to ask for opinions and tips etc im using a mavic pro 1 and i just downloaded the trial for lightroom and using davinic resolve for the video will post a few before and after photos and after ive done the video i will also post if you guys could give me some tips and thoughts on what could be changed and how it looks i would much appreciate it photos and video taken in tasmania australia

thanks
scottDJI_0037.JPG
DJI_0037-2.jpg

The ones with the greater colour saturation do look nicer.
I think the single tractor one is a better composition. The 2nd tractor to me is a visual distraction.
Keep up the nice work.

Reactions: scott5689
Hi Scott,

I'm in Hobart and I too have just purchased Davinci Resolve Studio for videos and use mainly Photoshop and a bit of Lightroom and also DxO Photolab 2 for my stills. I had a MP Platinum but sold and went for the M2P.
With your pics, how were they taken as the originals are undersaturated as if taken using log (on video) and then the image captured from that, and later processed. Or were they stills taken as RAW and then processed?
I really like you saturation levels in the processed versions, and agree the single tractor shots are really nice.

Hi Scott,
When photographing a moving object, car, child, dog etc it often suggested that space is left in front of your subject to give it room to move into. The red tractors look as if they almost got away from you. I find my eyes drawn to the vacant field.
An object moving diagonally towards the camera will draw your eyes into the picture. Moving away generally causes your eyes to focus on the rear and out of the frame towards the front of the object.
Colour is nice and vibrant, possibly slightly over saturated.
The camera appears to have taken a light reading from the centre of the frame. Notice how much brighter the red tractor is than the rest of the picture. See if you can adjust for average light.
Lightroom is excellent. It offers “filters” which enable you to correct this. It’s a steep learning curve, but well worth the effort. YouTube and the web have vast numbers of tutorials.
Remember, it’s your picture. We all see things differently.
Richard

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback and im not sure i was filming in dlog and then stop and just used the camera thing on the remote to take the photos i didnt get any raws because i didnt realise it wasnt set so they are just the basic jpg format from the camera i took a few last night in hdr with raws will post results of those belpw

These are 2 i got from the hdr/raw format i know they are a little overdone but i thought they looked pretty coolFB_IMG_1544223557527.jpegFB_IMG_1544223546613.jpeg

Reactions: PC1134
I too prefer saturation as long as it isn’t saturated

Try to use ‘leading lines’ to draw the viewers eye to the object

The drone is a great system to give the viewer a different perspective that cant be obtained anywhere else (except for a chopper )

I took this one of sugar cane harvesting from aboveCane harvesting (1 of 1).jpg

The sugar cane harvest shown above just begs for video showing the hopper pouring into the truck.

I drove a potato truck, during the Wisconsin potato harvest this year.

If I do it for the 2019 harvest I’m going to take some drone video.

I personally hauled 6.5 million pounds from the field to storage this season.

Reactions: Aussie Oldtimer
The sugar cane harvest shown above just begs for video showing the hopper pouring into the truck.

I drove a potato truck, during the Wisconsin potato harvest this year.

If I do it for the 2019 harvest I’m going to take some drone video.

I personally hauled 6.5 million pounds from the field to storage this season.
Here ya go

Think about composition in both video and photos, usually it's good to leave space for moving objects to go forward into (stills and video).
Anything too close to the edge of a frame is not ideal.

The most successful videos of this kind of thing combine aerial with other footage perhaps including onboard action cams. Basically try to tell a story to maximise views and retention if that's your aim.
If feeling brave you an even try a vlog style intro and voice over.

Thanks for all the comments guys and great video and photos of the sugar cane here are a few stills i got from the video footage when i was editing it i will be uploading video maybe tommorow depending on how my pc goes rendering it etc FB_IMG_1544792006144.jpegFB_IMG_1544792018098.jpegFB_IMG_1544792010369.jpegFB_IMG_1544792014426.jpeg

Reactions: MotorPsycho
Here ya go

Wow, fantastic work! But wait a minute ---- For one clip, the tractor is actually driving backward pushing his load while keeping in sync with the combine. What the heck? I had to watch that a couple times to make sure the video isn't reversed! But the cane is going in the right direction.

Wow, fantastic work! But wait a minute ---- For one clip, the tractor is actually driving backward pushing his load while keeping in sync with the combine. What the heck? I had to watch that a couple times to make sure the video isn't reversed! But the cane is going in the right direction.

I noticed that also. The long wheelbase on the trailer and shot wheelbase tractor helps, but I wouldn’t want to do that.

as a photog, my idea with the drone is to give the viewer a perspective that cant be seen otherwise.

Yep the haul out chaser bin has to drive in reverse and forward to save time. It takes too long to turn around. you cant drive over the mounds otherwise the cane will die. I drove a chaser bin truck 20 years ago and it was awful. I started at 2am and 12 hr shifts ( I had never done shift work before) . The harvester operator in the video was very good by spraying the trash away from the chaser bin. Let me tell you, driving at night in reverse with dust going everywhere is a nightmare. I only lasted a month and bailed out due to many reasons incl not being paid. One major reason was the harvester operator was either drugged out of fell asleep because he headed off track into the field leaving us truch drivers wondering what happened

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S