Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Telemetry Overlay and more data tools

0Kajuna0

Reactions
Site
goprotelemetryextractor.com
Hi!

For the last 3-4 years I've been working and experimenting with the GPS and other sensor data in DJI drones and action cameras. All the learnings have now materialised in this standalone app for creating telemetry overlays on videos:

Some of the previous utilities I have released (some free, some paid) are:

SRT Viewer: Visualizes the SRT flight logs on a map and converts them to multiple formats
Subtitle Extractor: For the drones that do not create an SRT file with the subtitle data but embed it in the mp4 file, this extracts it to SRT
Telemetry Template for Adobe After Effects: Uses the recorded data to create customizable dashboard elements in Adobe After Effects
3D Maps in Google Earth: Just a tutorial on how to create animated flight paths withGoogle Earth pro
Telemetry Overlay: The new standalone app I was talking about

I hope you find some of these useful. Happy to answer questions.

Nice little program although way over priced. All of which can be done in Dashware for free also. RaceRender is anther option but with a small fee to use it. Parrot also has a free program called FlightDataManager for their drones.
The key word here is free or make it affordable for those that might use it a few times which happens with these over lay programs.

Reactions: TheMavic and Kilrah
Thanks. I might create a trial version at some point, but in the mid term the developing efforts are set on features and performance. The goal was to create something easier to use, more visually appealing (in terms of results) and more up to date than the existing products (for example Dashware, owned by GoPro, does not even support recent GoPro cameras). Some users say the app is already there, but I see lots of room for improvement.

Amazing for sure!

Reactions: 0Kajuna0
This is a great idea specially when is made to support DJI product natively. We know about other products free in the market but they are not natively supporting DJI products and the templates needs to be modified and is not as user friendly as your app. Will be nice to have a trial.

I have been using it with my Mini 2 and it extracts the GPS data okay from the video files but the compass seems to be all wrong :(

Hi @IM35461 , The Bearing gauge shows the direction of travel, not the direction of the camera. When the drone is not translating (just rotating like in your example), the direction of travel shown will correspond to the previous or next movement. This also depends on the Sensitivity setting (how much the gauge responds to small movements).

It is likely that in future updates the software will be able to read camera direction from CSV logs (that information is not available in the video subtitles)

Reactions: IM35461
Looks great but that's just way out of my price range Im afraid....and with no free trial as well.

Reactions: Malcx
Bravo, great looking software nice job!

Adding to the feedback from others:

At $99, price is too high for a "nice to have". I use droneviewer for free and if I want the data as an overlay I simply video record the parts I want and cut out everything else, takes little effort and time. Also, they charge $25 for a personal use license.

Halfing that price would probably more than double your customers from this forum, most of us do this as a hobby.

Hey. I know the pricing is not for everyone, rather targeted at professionals. A nice consequence is that I can handle customer support and feature requests myself instead of outsorcing that to an agency. This has worked well for now, but I might release a trial version in the future to easen access for non-professional users. We're probably talking months from now, as I'm currently focusing on features for the full software.

Also, I'm sending discount codes privately to those that comment here, which offsets the price to the initial "early access" one.

@0Kajuna0 Here's my first bit of feedback, short for now.

• The telemetry app, it would be great if we could queue jobs, it's a pain to render, wait, then setup the next job and wait.
  • Basic color correction of the video within the telemetry app would save me time in the editing; brightness, saturation, contrast, tint, etc.
  • When I export a video with telemetry and then load the next video, the telemetry data does not resync. It uses the previous videos data. I tried using the "Sync telemetry" section but it didn't work well, I had to restart the program and load the next video. The app should detect a new video and search for the corresponding telemetry data, the end-user shouldn't have to resync.

I saw you have an After Effects plugin, any chance it would work for Adobe Premiere?

Still using and playing around with it, will report back more.

Last edited:
Hi @ChrisOutdoors ,

Thanks for your feedback.

- Queuing jobs is on my to-do list. It's a significant feature and more basic ones are before it in the list, but I hope I can tackle it in the mid-term.
- Basic color correction: I like the idea. I would not want to try and replace a full-fledged video editor, but it sounds fun and I will consider it (again, at least mid-term).

- If inderstand number 3 correctly, you are using an existing project and going back to the "Video" section to import different footage. I'm assuming you do that because you want to use the same gauge structure, colors, etc. The app is not designed exactly for that workflow, although you can still do it. You will just have to go to each gauge and in its controls section select the new imported telemetry source (the second video). Once no gauge is using the old source, you can delete it from the project in the Telemetry section. This works this way because you may want to load multiple data sources for a single video (project). It happens a lot with users that record video and data with a GoPro, but also record data with a Garmin watch or a different GPS tracker.

An alternative approach (and a better one, I think), is to save your work as a "Pattern". Then start a new project (blank document icon on the top right corner) and apply the old pattern to it. That way the gauges are the same but the only telemetry data the project will have is that of the new video. Does that make sense? It's explained in this tutorial (minute 11:09)

Nice little program although way over priced. All of which can be done in Dashware for free also. RaceRender is anther option but with a small fee to use it. Parrot also has a free program called FlightDataManager for their drones.
The key word here is free or make it affordable for those that might use it a few times which happens with these over lay programs.
Party pooper... ?

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Hi @ChrisOutdoors ,

Thanks for your feedback.

- If inderstand number 3 correctly, you are using an existing project and going back to the "Video" section to import different footage. I'm assuming you do that because you want to use the same gauge structure, colors, etc. The app is not designed exactly for that workflow, although you can still do it. You will just have to go to each gauge and in its controls section select the new imported telemetry source (the second video). Once no gauge is using the old source, you can delete it from the project in the Telemetry section. This works this way because you may want to load multiple data sources for a single video (project). It happens a lot with users that record video and data with a GoPro, but also record data with a Garmin watch or a different GPS tracker.

An alternative approach (and a better one, I think), is to save your work as a "Pattern". Then start a new project (blank document icon on the top right corner) and apply the old pattern to it. That way the gauges are the same but the only telemetry data the project will have is that of the new video. Does that make sense? It's explained in this tutorial (minute 11:09)

The "Pattern" feature is the first thing I created, very helpful and it ensures consistency with every video; bravo on that.

I imported a video, applied the gauges, exported and then wanted to create a new video. When I did that it loaded the previous data; fixed it by restarting the app. I'll play around with it more and see if it was perhaps user error.

I have a couple more "desires":

• In the case of long videos; GoPro, DJI, etc often create multiple files when you record long times >20min, it would save me time if I could load multiple videos of the same event and export it as 1 video.
  • Option to disable Telemetry's auto optimize on video load (You have a skip button but it becomes repetitive when you do many videos). It would be great if I could disable that in the options menu. My PC doesn't really need to optimize, it's a beast.
Thanks for your replies!

Hi Chris, Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

The first one is already available, if I understand it correctly. Just load multiple video files at once in the Video section and both the videos and their telemetry will combine as a single, continuous project.

The second one, I will add to the to-do list. The drawback I see is when skipping the optimization process with h265 footage, the video will not be playable in the program, even with a high-end PC, so I need to make sure less advanced users don't disable that by mistake and then think something is broken. But I like the idea.

Reactions: ChrisOutdoors
Having recently worked with Dash-Ware i found it to be a lot of work , does this program have a better work flow ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water

Add me to the list !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio