DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Tell me what you think.

Josiah S

Reactions
This was taken with my dji mavic air 2. It was a raw photo that I edited in GIMP and Raw Therapee and exported to a jpeg. Please tell me your thoughts about it. What should I be doing different when taking the pictures and editing them to make them better? Thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry, it said the picture was to big, I am trying to put a link to them on google drive. Bare with me I am not very techy.

There is not really a focal point or main subject. The eye tends to wander all over the composition?

Attached a sample suggestion

Attachments

• Edit 1111.JPG
    Edit 1111.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: sikspy
I think this photograph is quite good without doing anything else.
The three elements that I use when evaluating images today are:

1)Composition
2) Lighting
3) Technical elements
4) Emotional appeal

In no particular order, the lighting and technical elements are IMO spot on. I think the lighting and time of day and setting is great combination of luck and skill. I'm thinking largely skill because your exposure in combination with processing retains both highlight and shadow detail.

Would I change anything? As for emotional appeal, a lot of that comes down to composition. Does they eye travel through the image with entry and exit points? Does it get stuck at any point? Are the elements balanced and how do the visual elements harmonize. This all comes down to taste and how one feels (psychographics). What I think and feel will most certainly be different than others. But this is what *I* think...

All of the elements are there for an outstanding image. One thing I learned in photo school is "eliminate as many horizontal and vertical lines as possible. Look for lead in/lead out lines. In this case I think re-cropping might be an option. But again it depends on taste and the message you're going for.

As I look at your original composition my eye gets stuck on the dirt patch on the lower left. It doesn't have as much interesting detail as much of the rest of the image. I think it had excellent potential for balance I felt it pulled the image out of balance a bit. Also the straight vertical plow lines were a bit static for my taste, but not objectionable. IMO a little more dynamics in the composition might be more interesting. Again, personal thought and not even an opinion at this time. More of a question than an answer.

I've taken the liberty of doing some a minor composition adjustments for comparison.
At the bottom is your original image. Moving up from there is "option 3", just changing the aspect ratio by cropping off the bottom. Everything else is as presented. The topmost image has some cropping and a bit of rotation to add a bit more interest and purpose of movement.

Please don't get me wrong. This is an excellent image to begin with. You asked what might be done to make it better so thought I would offer up some options, if for no other reason than discussion. Great job!

1616609994280.png

1616610418260.png

1616610073798.png

I took the liberty of doing a little quick editing to show a composition technique that often works.
The cows are now walking into the picture leading your eye.
I have also reversed, rotated & cropped to show the rule of thirds.
To crop.JPG

Thanks a lot. This helps a lot and I will keep practicing to get better. I need to work on editing a lot more I think. Thanks a lot for fixin it up and showing me what I need to work on.

I think this photograph is quite good without doing anything else.
The three elements that I use when evaluating images today are:

1)Composition
2) Lighting
3) Technical elements
4) Emotional appeal

In no particular order, the lighting and technical elements are IMO spot on. I think the lighting and time of day and setting is great combination of luck and skill. I'm thinking largely skill because your exposure in combination with processing retains both highlight and shadow detail.

Would I change anything? As for emotional appeal, a lot of that comes down to composition. Does they eye travel through the image with entry and exit points? Does it get stuck at any point? Are the elements balanced and how do the visual elements harmonize. This all comes down to taste and how one feels (psychographics). What I think and feel will most certainly be different than others. But this is what *I* think...

All of the elements are there for an outstanding image. One thing I learned in photo school is "eliminate as many horizontal and vertical lines as possible. Look for lead in/lead out lines. In this case I think re-cropping might be an option. But again it depends on taste and the message you're going for.

As I look at your original composition my eye gets stuck on the dirt patch on the lower left. It doesn't have as much interesting detail as much of the rest of the image. I think it had excellent potential for balance I felt it pulled the image out of balance a bit. Also the straight vertical plow lines were a bit static for my taste, but not objectionable. IMO a little more dynamics in the composition might be more interesting. Again, personal thought and not even an opinion at this time. More of a question than an answer.

I've taken the liberty of doing some a minor composition adjustments for comparison.
At the bottom is your original image. Moving up from there is "option 3", just changing the aspect ratio by cropping off the bottom. Everything else is as presented. The topmost image has some cropping and a bit of rotation to add a bit more interest and purpose of movement.

Please don't get me wrong. This is an excellent image to begin with. You asked what might be done to make it better so thought I would offer up some options, if for no other reason than discussion. Great job!

View attachment 126203

View attachment 126205

View attachment 126204
Thanks. This helps a lot. This was just the kind of stuff I want to know. I am a beginner and I want to know how to make my stuff look better.

How did you flip the picture around??
I see you use GIMP, go to View then down to Flip & Rotate then across to Flip Horizontally.
You can use the clone tool to move the cows and cover the originals , probably a better way to do that cow but I don’t use Gimp that often.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I would have considered this shot instead!!! You said, "tell me what you think." Your reply reveals that you really don't want to know what we think. Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 11.36.42 AM.png

To tell you the truth, it is not much of a photo at all. No obvious subject, my eyes are searching around, "what should I look at?" You needed to home in on the man and the farm equipment.Needed a lower angle.
Ok. So I should fly lower? Maybe I just need to find a better subject. Something that is bigger that you can see better and that catches my eye better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11