DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrain mapping mission grid

keirvt

Reactions
I have been laying out a mission grid. I wish to paste the images together to form a really big image of the total landform.
The Enterprise Mavic flies the route perfectly facing the direction of travel along each grid leg. That is a problem because
in post processing I have to manually find the turn point then rotate the sequence of images in every second leg by 180degrees.
Also the drone takes pictures during a turn. These pictures are best deleted.
The stitching software can cope with a left to right or right to left ordering but gets confused by fractional rotations.
If each image had a compass bearing in the exif data I could automatically rotate the image aligning the direction of all the images.
Frustratingly the Mavic exif data does not have a compass bearing in it.

It would be better if the drone maintained its compass bearing at all times rather than turning and facing the new direction.
Is there away to do this with mission planning? Using mission "Create Route"->Waypoint it is possible to set a "pin" that the drone will always face but it doesn't seem to be available in other mission plannings.

I have been laying out a mission grid. I wish to paste the images together to form a really big image of the total landform.
The Enterprise Mavic flies the route perfectly facing the direction of travel along each grid leg. That is a problem because
in post processing I have to manually find the turn point then rotate the sequence of images in every second leg by 180degrees.
Also the drone takes pictures during a turn. These pictures are best deleted.
The stitching software can cope with a left to right or right to left ordering but gets confused by fractional rotations.
If each image had a compass bearing in the exif data I could automatically rotate the image aligning the direction of all the images.
Frustratingly the Mavic exif data does not have a compass bearing in it.

It would be better if the drone maintained its compass bearing at all times rather than turning and facing the new direction.
Is there away to do this with mission planning? Using mission "Create Route"->Waypoint it is possible to set a "pin" that the drone will always face but it doesn't seem to be available in other mission plannings.
You could make the heading constant with something like Litchi but you know there’s tons of stitching programs that are actually meant for this and don’t require you to do anything special.

I use Litchi and Mavic Mini, works a charm. Specify AC heading at every waypoint relative to compass North, allow for enough image overlap by setting correct altitude. Also keep in mind that the ultra wide angle lens on a drone camera creates a lot of optical distortion at the edges of the images, hence enough overlapping for the 'stitching' program to work with in blending those distortions. Simply 'pasting' a series of images together edge-to-edge from a drone cam will never yield true perspective nor scale.
Drone mapping/image stitching is a LOT of fun once working, like you mentioned, you end up with a single image with mind-boggling resolution, so it's worth the while figuring out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS