DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Testing distance on Mavic 2 Pro (not what advertised)

Madmitch

Reactions
I had a chance this weekend to go rural spot, no interferences no power lines nothing etc... for as far as eye could see, I’m talking about 20 square miles of nothing!!! On top of old strip mining, tested my distance several times at diff altitudes?? The most I could get was around 5k ft which is roughly a mile, even with taking drone up to around 700ft I got nowhere near the advertised DJI 5 mile radius which I did not expect to get that far anyway, I’m talking absolutely nothing between me and M2P before I would get distance warnings, no mag interference nothing, anybody else had better luck with distance?????

My M2P in CE mode and on 2.4 GHz. The range is actually better than that stated in the spec ( 5 km ). Can't test the range of FCC because the battery is limiting how far it can go.

1597116809452.png

1597117211721.png

Last edited:
My M2P in CE mode and on 2.4 GHz. The range is actually better than that stated in the spec ( 5 km ). Can't test the range of FCC because the battery is limiting how far it can go.
If that’s all your getting here you have some type of issue. Strip Mine, Middle of nowhere!!!!!
Here ya go look at nonmodded distances. Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard
it worked I made changes on it to 2.4 GHz followed your guidelines went out and did night flight, much more range and distance did not want to go to far but went further than before with no issues so this weekend I’ll go back and retest in daylight, but already tell distance is better, thanks for info, much appreciated

View attachment 110223

View attachment 110226

I was not aware you could change from FCC to CE mode or vise versa. I thought that was hard wired in for location.
It’s simple to change from dual to a fixed band. You just navigate to the the tab in the DJIGO4 software and change from dual to custom. Then you can pick 5.8 or 2.4.
I have not personally found much difference in 5.8 vs 2.3 with the MP 2. Misdemeanor a difference with the MPP as 2.4 was always better for me.
As for max distance 10k to11K feet is as far as I have tried in perfect conditions. At that range the video signal was getting very iffy and freezing so I choose to go no further. Signal bars were between 2 and 3 but never got a signal strength warning on screen. If you are disconnecting at 5K or getting a signal warning in the area you were flying something might be wrong.
Paul C

I was not aware you could change from FCC to CE mode or vise versa. I thought that was hard wired in for location.
It’s simple to change from dual to a fixed band. You just navigate to the the tab in the DJIGO4 software and change from dual to custom. Then you can pick 5.8 or 2.4.
I have not personally found much difference in 5.8 vs 2.3 with the MP 2. Misdemeanor a difference with the MPP as 2.4 was always better for me.
As for max distance 10k to11K feet is as far as I have tried in perfect conditions. At that range the video signal was getting very iffy and freezing so I choose to go no further. Signal bars were between 2 and 3 but never got a signal strength warning on screen. If you are disconnecting at 5K or getting a signal warning in the area you were flying something might be wrong.
Paul C
thankful i have been very helpful, much app
Paul C
did it switch to custom. last night i was correct, now i notice as i did in your helping tremendously, i notice that the dbm/MHZ jumps around a little bit. tell me if im wrong but that is normal correct? sorry this is all new to me, and i had no idea u could even switch to custom or just did not investigate enough, Im gonna give her a go after work, ill let u know how it does, again many thanks

and also on that dbm/MHZ u wanna choose the one with the least interference correct? like i saw on internet that around 10 is good with low interference? am i correct?

and do u have to do this everytime u turn it on, cause i turned mine off and wemt back to original settimgs?

I had a chance this weekend to go rural spot, no interferences no power lines nothing etc... for as far as eye could see, I’m talking about 20 square miles of nothing!!! On top of old strip mining, tested my distance several times at diff altitudes?? The most I could get was around 5k ft which is roughly a mile, even with taking drone up to around 700ft I got nowhere near the advertised DJI 5 mile radius which I did not expect to get that far anyway, I’m talking absolutely nothing between me and M2P before I would get distance warnings, no mag interference nothing, anybody else had better luck with distance?????

Maybe your “max distance” setting is limiting the distance .

I'm not sure what my distance ability of the craft would be as I am flying VLOS so not much more the 500 to 700 feet. My friend has the same MP2 and has flown it on flat country about 7800 meters or about 4.85 miles routinely so that is pretty close to the advertised distance. Issue is always windage, elevation, and battery life.

your right on the max distance yip im a dumb... , but now telling me to update my vision system which is no bog deal, doing now, and once you set to custom should it not stay that way? because ihave turned mine off several times and it kicks me back to auto, just wondering if normal, or does yours stay on custom when turned off

Reactions: Made2Phly
I believe each time you turn it off it will drop back to auto. Not sure if there is a setting to allow it to stay at a custom ghz.

Paul C

your right on the max distance yip im a dumb... , but now telling me to update my vision system which is no bog deal, doing now, and once you set to custom should it not stay that way? because ihave turned mine off several times and it kicks me back to auto, just wondering if normal, or does yours stay on custom when turned off
If the issue was because of a max distance you had set, then you should be fine with Auto. It does a good job bouncing around as needed. You may get a brief warning of poor signal as it switched to a 'cleaner' channel if needed, but that's about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent