DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tethered flying?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

This probably a stupid question but has anyone ever tried tethering a Mavic to an external power source and flying? I don't mean a battery mod but rather plugging an external power source (such as a car battery or equivalent) directly into the battery intake instead of a battery. The voltage ofcourse will have to be regulated and I can't imagine one can fly around much with a 40m cable dangling down from the AC. But a simple hover wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility. A one hour of shooting for a time lapse from a fixed position with the AC in a hover would be fantastic. Besides enabling non-DJI battery in Assistant 2, what do I need to think about to do this? Or is it impossible?

Edit: As I always find out after the fact, this has been asked before
Unfortunately, that discussion ended without any real solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard people hav done this is about all I can claim.

However I can state for a fact that fishing line attached to a cheapo drone goes a long way in keeping them from flying into the next county

I would take the shell of a battery with its contacts and use it to create the tether connector. On the ground you just need a 3s battery block, (or 4s for the MP2) In theory you could even do it with a lithium ion bank and save some real weight.

It's a thought experiment though. For one you might run out of space on your SD card. Secondly it's easier to do this kind of work with balloons

Here's the spec sheet on the battery. I don't think your battery is a good choice, the standard MA battery is over 2300 mah, you're not getting much of a boost at 3000. DJI uses intelligent batteries, so if you're bypassing that board in the battery its self you'll likely get some unintended consequences. DJI Mavic Air in Depth Series–Intelligent Battery | Heliguy

Thanks! Yeah you are right about the risk of bypassing the intelligent aspects of the battery. I have seen the spec sheet you linked. The 2375 mAh figure is the total capacity. What I want to know is the max Amp draw of the MA on the battery. I kind of recall reading somewhere that it was about 3A but I can't find that source again :(

What I want to know is the max Amp draw of the MA on the battery.
Here a test flight with an MA - Airdata shows the Amps and Voltages used during that flight:

2020-01-15_18-15-02.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick