DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFRs and geofencing in DJI GO 4 app

CaptPete

Reactions
I understood from DJI that geofencing and TFRs were integrated into the GO 4 app, but this is not the case. It's Go FLY as usual even under TFR. Is this a software glitch, or am I missing something? I am using the radio that comes with the Mavic 2 pro and set to GPS navigation.
Even a 2015 post by DJI states this:
DJI Introduces New Geofencing System for its Drones

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

I might add that all firmware and software is latest version.

Last edited:
i lost capabilities viewing the beijing geofence map that loads under offline map.
before i could at least pan over to honolulu to view military, prison, asylum, airport, harbor, ammunition dump, and silos, were all properly databased.
but now nothing except download africa continent that allows panning to honolulu but the aperture too small to envelope metropolis.
you would think some kind of pop up notif would reveal "still under construction post airport paranoia scare recently"

TFR is current, till the 19th, no, TFR not shown on map and not authorization request, probably because no non-government drone would be authorised?
TFR link

It's on the DJI Geo site, showing as an authorization zone. Perhaps your GO app has not updated with the latest data, since this one was only added to the system on February 13.

1550361944035.jpeg

Maybe I am to obtuse to understand. My understanding is that geofencing and it's implementation by DJI in the Go 4 app is supposed to not let you fly if the FAA says you cannot, and also to prevent you from entering any level of restricted airspace without authorisation. This is either by requiring authorisation before you fly, or not letting you start the props.

I am currently under a TFR that is only notated (vaguely) in the go app, and has no influence on my ability to take to take off and fly. So all drones using go4 in my area can likely fly as well if Geofencing is not protecting zones under restrictions. I called the FAA, and they said I could not take off within 30 mile radius (per diagram from FAA). The Go 4 app snapshot shows no restriction and allows me to fly as usual. I tested this in a 2 minute flight at 15 ft altitude with GPS enabled and all public reporting and automatic features enabled. The drone is also registered with FAA and DJI
1550419019987.png
1550419100232.png

Maybe I am to obtuse to understand. My understanding is that geofencing and it's implementation by DJI in the Go 4 app is supposed to not let you fly if the FAA says you cannot, and also to prevent you from entering any level of restricted airspace without authorisation. This is either by requiring authorisation before you fly, or not letting you start the props.

I am currently under a TFR that is only notated (vaguely) in the go app, and has no influence on my ability to take to take off and fly. So all drones using go4 in my area can likely fly as well if Geofencing is not protecting zones under restrictions. I called the FAA, and they said I could not take off within 30 mile radius (per diagram from FAA). The Go 4 app snapshot shows no restriction and allows me to fly as usual. I tested this in a 2 minute flight at 15 ft altitude with GPS enabled and all public reporting and automatic features enabled. The drone is also registered with FAA and DJI
View attachment 63202
View attachment 63203
Hmmm, it seems dji can not preempt flight lockdown for some technicality: i am thinking it has equivalence to discouragement analogous to the prenuptial surgeon's release of liabilities prior operating on you.

Your understanding is the same as mine, and so I'm not quite sure what is going on. Can you post a screen shot from the GO app?
Should be in my 11:01 timestamp post. I can repost if it doesn't show up for you.

So it appears to me the only reliable way to fly legally is to check FFA side. Disappointing I was hoping the go4 app was an easy "safe-to-fly" solution. Does geofencing work in the standard permission zones?

Scary when you see so many attorneys posting.

View attachment 63202
View attachment 63203

As a pilot you are responsible for researching TFRs before every flight. The DJI software isn't necessarily authoritative on the existence of TFRs and you shouldn't rely on it to give you the final "OK" prior to flight. DJI tries their best to list every restriction in their software, but they occasionally miss things. You should always be checking the FAA TFR map directly as well.

Should be in my 11:01 timestamp post. I can repost if it doesn't show up for you.

So it appears to me the only reliable way to fly legally is to check FFA side. Disappointing I was hoping the go4 app was an easy "safe-to-fly" solution. Does geofencing work in the standard permission zones?

Pics of offline map that use to be beijing alive pannable toward alive Honolulu. But now nothing offline (use to be alive beijing and world)

Your earlier post appears to include a screenshot of the DJI Geo website, not a screenshot of the DJI GO 4 app.

As a pilot you are responsible for researching TFRs before every flight. The DJI software isn't necessarily authoritative on the existence of TFRs and you shouldn't rely on it to give you the final "OK" prior to flight. DJI tries their best to list every restriction in their software, but they occasionally miss things. You should always be checking the FAA TFR map directly as well.
IMHO missing a TFR that protects the location of POTUS is a very important one to miss. I am not going to guess whether it is political. I hope I am not overthinking China-US Relations, lol anyway, I am going to let that one lie.

When i got ma dec31st2018 i did not realize destiny would unfold so much hype over liabilities: stakeholders are foursome right? Authority, Dji, PilotOwner, Victim.
With only couple hours flight time, in congested honolulu, i realized lots of bummers affect ma esp no flying and lockdown preempt.
I envision the present hype legit considering automobiles mandated collision insurance coverage, which is where this hyped reality is heading

i lost capabilities viewing the beijing geofence map that loads under offline map.
before i could at least pan over to honolulu to view military, prison, asylum, airport, harbor, ammunition dump, and silos, were all properly databased.
but now nothing except download africa continent that allows panning to honolulu but the aperture too small to envelope metropolis.
you would think some kind of pop up notif would reveal "still under construction post airport paranoia scare recently"
My issue is not the same as yours, I am not talking about offline maps. As you see, my app shows zones, but whether they ask permissions or Geofence is unknown to me. My issue is TFRs do not show in the DJI app, despite DJI saying the will.

That location is certainly within the TFR, so it looks like your DJI GO 4 app is not updating with the latest data.

It does not update on the fly-safe-geo=map either. So I possibly it just mirrors data to the app? Timestamp on the snapshot is within 5 minutes of posting and TFR is still active.

To make sure it was not a browser Adobe Flash issue I checked the geo-map in several different browsers that are current and cache cleared.

Every piece of firmware and software is latest per the go 4 app in android.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

1550499728381.png

Last edited:
It does not update on the fly-safe-geo=map either. So I possibly it just mirrors data to the app? Timestamp on the snapshot is within 5 minutes of posting and TFR is still active.

To make sure it was not a browser Adobe Flash issue I checked the geo-map in several different browsers that are current and cache cleared.

Every piece of firmware and software is latest per the go 4 app in android.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

View attachment 63335

As I mentioned earlier (post #5) the TFR is listed on the Geo map, but appears to be much smaller than the real one.

Reactions: CaptPete
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair