DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFRs at Sports Stadiums

JimWest

Reactions
I assume the FAA is not issuing TFRs for baseball stadiums where a game is played but no spectators are allowed. Can anyone confirm? The FAA's TFR site (tfr.faa.gov) does not show restrictions for games at Comerica Park in Detroit this week, but it also says do not rely on this site for flight planning. The "UAS data on a map" (faa.maps.arcgis.com) also shows no restrictions. But SkyVector (skyvector.com) did show the usual 3NM restriction for last night's game. NOTAM 4/3621 mentions only the capacity of the stadiums, not how many people are present.

With or without fans baseball, football, racetracks and any other sporting event the FAA rules still apply. If your looking to fly over an event you will need authorization/wavier.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I assume the FAA is not issuing TFRs for baseball stadiums where a game is played but no spectators are allowed. Can anyone confirm? The FAA's TFR site (tfr.faa.gov) does not show restrictions for games at Comerica Park in Detroit this week, but it also says do not rely on this site for flight planning. The "UAS data on a map" (faa.maps.arcgis.com) also shows no restrictions. But SkyVector (skyvector.com) did show the usual 3NM restriction for last night's game. NOTAM 4/3621 mentions only the capacity of the stadiums, not how many people are present.

Your assumption is incorrect. They are still putting up TFRs.

They definitely are still putting up TFRs. I checked air map around San Francisco earlier this week when the Giants were hosting the Padres at Oracle park and there was still the same sized TFR around the stadium.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Each TFR is different and each will have its own limits of surrounding airspace. This is why you can't just rely on just one source (Airmap, Kittyhawk, B4UFLY...) of information, checking with the FAA maps online and DJI flysafe maps will most likely have the most up to date info on TFR's. People use the excuse of not checking, or rely on one of the 3rd party apps to fly any way then wonder why they get a letter in the mail or a personal visit from local authorities about their flying.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I guess I'm a little mystified that I can find the correct TFR info on Skyward, which I believe is a private company, but not on the official FAA sites. In any case, I agree that its my responsibility to know before I fly, even if getting the info is not always simple.

NOTAM 4/3621 mentions only the capacity of the stadiums, not how many people are present.

It's important to understand that TFR's are not "Dynamic" in regards to capacity vs attendance. The FAA is about SAFETY and TFR's will always error on the side of caution (sometimes extremely so).

What if you're not flying over the stadium but just flying in a park 2 miles away (still within the 3 mile TFR range)

Inside the TFR is inside the TFR even if it only seems like by 10'. Flight Restrictions apply for the entire area. If you was 4 miles away it might be different but 2 miles away in a 3 mile area is ILLEGAL.

It's important to understand that TFR's are not "Dynamic" in regards to capacity vs attendance. The FAA is about SAFETY and TFR's will always error on the side of caution (sometimes extremely so).

Of course. You have to follow the letter of the TFR even if you think it doesn't make sense. And in this case, I have my doubts. The point of the TFR at major sporting events was to protect the huge crowds of people at the event from crashing drones, vandals, terrorists, or whatever. Now there are no crowds. If that were not the rationale, there would need to be a TFR at every high school baseball game in the country, and even at the little league games near me that attract 30 parents.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Of course. You have to follow the letter of the TFR even if you think it doesn't make sense. And in this case, I have my doubts. The point of the TFR at major sporting events was to protect the huge crowds of people at the event from crashing drones, vandals, terrorists, or whatever. Now there are no crowds. If that were not the rationale, there would need to be a TFR at every high school baseball game in the country, and even at the little league games near me that attract 30 parents.

The TFR's are "routine" and thus far I've not seen any of them change just because "attendance" is way down. Consistency . . .
I wouldn't even "hint" about TFR's for high school etc. That's an idea we do not want to get started LOL.

The TFRs are so you can’t film the game from a helicopter, plane, or drone and possibly take money from the sports leagues. This was always the reason why the TFRs existed.

B I N G O!!!!!

Originally began as a response to 9/11 but they continue to remain in place because of the exclusivity the sports leagues have enjoyed.

Reactions: brett8883
there would need to be a TFR at every high school baseball game in the country, and even at the little league games near me that attract 30 parents.
If you “donate” the right amount to the correct officials I guarantee you could have a TFR over your kid’s little league games too.

If you “donate” the right amount to the correct officials I guarantee you could have a TFR over your kid’s little league games too.
So you think you can hand out bribes to the FAA to get a TFR?

What if you're not flying over the stadium but just flying in a park 2 miles away (still within the 3 mile TFR range)
If you are within the TFR circumference, you’re not supposed to fly. It’s not ambiguous. And the FAA won’t care how close you are to outside the TFR.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I guess I'm a little mystified that I can find the correct TFR info on Skyward, which I believe is a private company, but not on the official FAA sites. In any case, I agree that its my responsibility to know before I fly, even if getting the info is not always simple.

Try Skyvector www.skyvector.com/ You can turn on TFRs by checking the appropriate box in the layers (upper right). They are pretty good at depicting the TRFs soon after they are published. You can also read the NOTAM text.

TFR's for sporting events are issued based on capacity of the stadium. 30,000 seats or greater.

Last edited:
I think you're incorrect on your assumption that it's primarily to protect crowds from... etc, etc. Over here in the UK I recall a news report a few years ago that some dimwit flew his Phantom over a Premier soccer league stadium while a flood-lit match was taking place and all in the stadium, including the players and referee were too distracted by the drone hovering overhead for play to continue! Now do you see the problem, crowd or no crowd? Needless to say I believe he was traced and had his day in court!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme