DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thailand Drone Rules?

It's an ambiguous article. It doesn't say anything about tourists. In any case, Farangs are not allowed to have a Thai full scale pilots license, and might not be able to register a drone. I would carry an extra 500 baht in my pocket just in case you are questioned. It also says a person with an ID can go into any police station and register. No mention of registration cost.

First they say:

"The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has ordered that all drones must be registered before they can take off again."

Then they say:

"Following a meeting about the issue, NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith said that both owners and sellers are required to register their drones within 90 days."

Long live His Majesty Rama X.

Last edited:
So is there any way to register, just to be on the safe side?

Or is that not even possible?

The article says that if a person has an ID they can register at a police station. Im not sure that applies to tourists. It also does not say the registration fee.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Going to Thailand in a couple of weeks. I was doing my usual checks on Monday zones etc...

Can tourists register or its just locals?

Really bummed out now was looking forward to flying in Phi Phi.

Wesley

Hi all,

Going to Thailand in a couple of weeks. I was doing my usual checks on Monday zones etc...

Can tourists register or its just locals?

Really bummed out now was looking forward to flying in Phi Phi.

Wesley
Hi Wesley, I'm leaving for Thailand tomorrow morning from the States. I'm not registered... I'll let you know how it goes. I checked into the laws a few months ago and it seemed fine, and now there's this new law. It doesn't sound like they are confiscating drones at customs though, so I'm going to roll the dice.

Hi Ryan,

Please do let me know, i wanted to fly around some of the outlaying islands. I wasn't concerned about having issues while flying. I was more concerned when I leave the country. They ask me for any proof of license. If i don't have one, i then have to prove i didnt fly the drone?

Maybe im being overly cautious i just want to follow the local laws in each country i go to. Im really on the fence, at this point i think ill leave it at home.

Wes

Hi Ryan,

Please do let me know, i wanted to fly around some of the outlaying islands. I wasn't concerned about having issues while flying. I was more concerned when I leave the country. They ask me for any proof of license. If i don't have one, i then have to prove i didnt fly the drone?

Maybe im being overly cautious i just want to follow the local laws in each country i go to. Im really on the fence, at this point i think ill leave it at home.

Wes

Wes- I know you said you are more concerned about when you leave Thailand, but I wanted to update you so far.

No issues in Seoul where we connected from Dallas (but we never went through customs in Seoul because we were just transferring), and no issues at all in Chiang Mai. I was only asked in Dallas by the American Airlines agent if we had "extra batteries" in our checked bags. But that's it.

Customs in Chiang Mai is tiny, seemed pretty easy going. We had to run our suitcases through a small X-ray machine (one of which had the mavic). Nothing was said. I started to put my backpack (with all my batteries-with protectors on terminals) through the machine
and they said no don't, just carry it out.

We'll see how our regional flights to Bangkok and Krabi go over the next two weeks.

Wes- I know you said you are more concerned about when you leave Thailand, but I wanted to update you so far.

No issues in Seoul where we connected from Dallas (but we never went through customs in Seoul because we were just transferring), and no issues at all in Chiang Mai. I was only asked in Dallas by the American Airlines agent if we had "extra batteries" in our checked bags. But that's it.

Customs in Chiang Mai is tiny, seemed pretty easy going. We had to run our suitcases through a small X-ray machine (one of which had the mavic). Nothing was said. I started to put my backpack (with all my batteries-with protectors on terminals) through the machine
and they said no don't, just carry it out.

We'll see how our regional flights to Bangkok and Krabi go over the next two weeks.

Thanks for the update. I hope you have a great time.

Wes

I'm sure they won't confiscate your drone in customs.

The new registration law applies to flying drones.

Thankfully it sounds like the registration process is not very difficult.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the link, i had already gone through and filled in the forms, however, i don't think i'll have everything in place by the time i get there ( This Friday )

English Versions here: Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Regulation - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย

Drone insurance, I've no idea what company to pick... Honestly i think its too much hassle, i think ill just leave my Mavic at home.

Wes

Last edited:
The way I read it, the drone insurance wasn’t a requirement unless you’re flying commercially?

The way I read it, the drone insurance wasn’t a requirement unless you’re flying commercially?

I love the question "occupation and salary". This is clearly so they can work out how much can be extracted when you infringe on the rules :)

I got back from Thailand this week and I had zero issues in and out of the airports. I had the drone in my carry-on and they didn't ask to look at it a single time. They asked to see my batteries once, but it wasn't a problem bc they are under the size limit and I had the terminals protected.

I only flew my drone on the beaches in Krabi (we stayed on Railay Beach), but here are the cities we went through airports in: Dallas, Seoul, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Krabi, and then back through Bangkok, Seoul, DFW. No one asked me if I had it registered with the Thai government, but I probably would have if I had time.

No one stopped me on the beach while flying it. Too bad it was pretty hazy, the footage is just ok. I went to the least busy spots on the beach, and stayed pretty high so no one noticed. Some of the popular beaches (like James Bond Island) have signs posted 'no drones', but it was so packed I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. I hope this helps.

I got back from Thailand this week and I had zero issues in and out of the airports. I had the drone in my carry-on and they didn't ask to look at it a single time. They asked to see my batteries once, but it wasn't a problem bc they are under the size limit and I had the terminals protected.

I only flew my drone on the beaches in Krabi (we stayed on Railay Beach), but here are the cities we went through airports in: Dallas, Seoul, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Krabi, and then back through Bangkok, Seoul, DFW. No one asked me if I had it registered with the Thai government, but I probably would have if I had time.

No one stopped me on the beach while flying it. Too bad it was pretty hazy, the footage is just ok. I went to the least busy spots on the beach, and stayed pretty high so no one noticed. Some of the popular beaches (like James Bond Island) have signs posted 'no drones', but it was so packed I wouldn't have wanted to anyway. I hope this helps.
Have some no fly zone other différent nfz from dji .

I see 2 people prosecuted in raley by rangers , 10.000bath fine , and is write on police station this case , next Time for ask visa or if they have visa on arrival will have somes problems .

You Can Sée nous fly zone on caat website .
After 1 juanary if thé drone is not registered by caat and nbtc you risk 100.000bat fine or/and 2 year or jail .

For register you need have inssurance and make déclaration at caat and nbtc , it's take 2 Month un tehoric but it's more 4/5 Month in reality .

Don't go to police station for register , cops no have intern note about drone and finaly drone user know then Law better than cops .

I'm live here and plan to open compagny for aerial movie .

Not allowed to fly in national Park like James Bond island or phiphi or another national Park, off course you Can do it ,like smoke Gandja but if you caught good Luck and don't try pay ranger because is military and never try give money tout military is not like police ...

Good Luck and bé carrefull don't play with thaï law , especialy for a tourist or farang .
333472a8776f88feef1f30a439b0cffb.jpg

Been here a while now and generally no problem. They're banned in national parks and big tourist areas (so james bond island, Similan islands etc).
One person i know of did get caught flying one from a boat near Similans and fined by the rangers. The islands have clear no-drone signs. That said the fine was a fairly laughable 500 baht.

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO