DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thank you FAA for LAANC

Slade

Reactions
FAA deserves our thanks for keeping their promise to allow Recreational Pilots access to LAANC on July 23rd. It has worked flawlessly for me with both AirMap and Kittyhawk, though I prefer the latter because it shows Altitude limits on colored grids. Way to go FAA. ????

^a ton of airports were left out of the deal and as a result, quite a few places have no way for recreational pilots to fly. it's seriously frustration not to be able to take 5 minutes to do something at your home but have to plan a 20 minute trip every time you want to fly.

but you are correct, the other half of the deal is great; recreational pilots can now fly in controlled airspace which is not turning out to be that big a deal like i thought it was.

flying from home is a must; it gets really old packing up the stuff and hauling everything across town two or three times a week.

Reactions: Slade
^a ton of airports were left out of the deal and as a result, quite a few places have no way for recreational pilots to fly. it's seriously frustration not to be able to take 5 minutes to do something at your home but have to plan a 20 minute trip every time you want to fly.

but you are correct, the other half of the deal is great; recreational pilots can now fly in controlled airspace which is not turning out to be that big a deal like i thought it was.

flying from home is a must; it gets really old packing up the stuff and hauling everything across town two or three times a week.
The slowdown is not FAA or LAANC itself. The slowdown is the airport’s participating, which only they can do.
For non-participating airports and some other areas you can apply for clearance via the FAA’s DroneZone site. I have found it easy. You need to apply the n advance. While I usually get clearance within 24-48 hours it can take 2-4 weeks. However you can get 30 days clearance in each application and it is renewable... FAA even sends a renewal notice to your email.

Reactions: Slade and WAXMAN
The slowdown is not FAA or LAANC itself. The slowdown is the airport’s participating, which only they can do.
For non-participating airports and some other areas you can apply for clearance via the FAA’s DroneZone site. I have found it easy. You need to apply the n advance. While I usually get clearance within 24-48 hours it can take 2-4 weeks. However you can get 30 days clearance in each application and it is renewable... FAA even sends a renewal notice to your email.
i believe you. my local airport, they would completely opt out of participation if they could, they're just that way. as a recreational pilot, i can apply via dronezone? i would...but i see conflicting info on that.

Reactions: Slade

Should probably note that Recreational users can't legally get authorizations via DroneZone yet. That ability is currently restricted to Part 107 operators only. (The FAA confirmed during their webinar last week that expanding DroneZone authorizations to recreational pilots will be coming in the future)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123