DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Airlines

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
Has anyone ever had the tsa on them because of their drone? I’ve read multiple airlines policy and just wondering the experience people have had bringing a drone on a plane. I would assume it would be a good thing to run them low before flying and the calibrate it and all that when you get to your destination.

Has anyone ever had the tsa on them because of their drone? I’ve read multiple airlines policy and just wondering the experience people have had bringing a drone on a plane. I would assume it would be a good thing to run them low before flying and the calibrate it and all that when you get to your destination.
I have flown (domestically) with my drone twice in the past 6 months. Never a peep out of TSA. Never even opened the bag the drone was in. You MUST put the batteries in your carry on. They cannot travel in the cargo area.

One of the legs of my most recent flight was a small regional jet. Had to pull the drone out of the carry on bag because they gate checked it. No room in the cabin for anything bigger than a backpack.

I purchased a small LIPO carrying bag on Amazon for $10 or so. However, if you search this forum many have said this is not a requirement. Didn't use it on my last flight and no problems with authorities.

Bottom line, batteries need to be in the cabin with you. The drone can be with you or in checked luggage (just remember to remove the battery from the drone if you check it).

Be careful out there...

No issues with TSA on any flight with my drone or batteries in my carry on bag.

Reactions: Gipper
I had heard it’s recommended to ensure the batteries are around 50% and not fully charged, maybe someone else can confirm this. I had checked about sending a drone by a courier and I was told one battery to be installed and a max of two spare batteries. This by coincidence is the configuration of the M2 Enterprise Combo.

Reactions: Gipper
Yes it is best to have them in the 50-60 % range as the battery is “more stable” at that charge. I also place a strip of Duct Tape over the terminals to prevent any possible shorting across terminals. I have never had a problem during extensive domestic flying. All batteries must be in your carry on.

A ver timely question and thanks for posting. As always a host of sensible replies and I shall be referring to this thread as I prepare for a trans-Atlantic flight later this month and a couple of domestics in the US. I have individual Lipo bags for the three batteries and they will travel in my hand luggage-drone in hold with no battery. RC in hand luggage. Finally, new Master Airscrew Stealth red props packed ready for action!!

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Almost ten years ago already, sheesh time flies, the first time I packed my Phantom-1 for a trip I was really worried about getting stopped. It's the batteries. I packed six of them in the case, and they looked really suspicious. The six lipos were squishy rectangular sticks with wires sticking out them. They could just as well have been plastic explosives. How am I ever going to sneak these through security?

Sure enough, the case got flagged going through the x-ray machine. Sir, is this your bag? Mind opening that up for us?

Oh-oh. Here we go...

But they were just curious. What is that thing?

It's a remote-controlled multi-rotor helicopter. Carries a GoPro camera for aerial videos.

No way, that's so cool! How much does it cost? How far, fast, long can it fly? Where can I get one?...

Including that first time, and every time I've subsequently taken drones with me on airlines, nobody has ever once asked anything about the batteries. They don't even ask to see the drone anymore.

P1.jpg

Purchased my Air 2s back in November and have been watching this forum for a little while and saw this topic and figured I would add my recent experience.

Two weeks ago I flew to Ireland and honestly going through TSA was very easy, they simply asked what was in my case and I told them and that was the end of it. The ONLY thing I had to do was open up my tablet and laptop which you have to do anyways. Coming back though Dublin I had to open my case and show them the drone and batteries.

I carried my drone in the SYMIK hard case which fits perfectly in my roller carry on case and still have room for everything else, ie: tablet, landing pad, tablet holder, spare props, etc.

I guess it will basically all come down to the agents to be honest but for me it couldn't of been easier.

Last edited:
No need to drain batteries at all.
No need for lipo bags.
Drone itself can go cabin or checked bag.
Almost all airlines state you can check bag your drone with one battery fitted in it.
Other batteries must go cabin.
Batteries must have terminals protected from shorting.

Always pays to check the particular airline policy.
It’s usually as easy as googling the name of your airline and drone policy.

Some now had specific policies, like Emirates.
They won’t allow a drone in carry on.

An example search . . . Emirates airline drone policy

Just a few results down . . .

They are about the only airline with this policy though.
Every one I’ve been on domestically or internationally allow full kit in cabin.

Reactions: Gipper and 4006448
Has anyone ever had the tsa on them because of their drone? I’ve read multiple airlines policy and just wondering the experience people have had bringing a drone on a plane.
No-one at the airport will be concerned.
They see drone-carrying travellers every day.
I would assume it would be a good thing to run them low before flying and the calibrate it and all that when you get to your destination.
There's no need to discharge the batteries before flying and no need to recalibrate anything at your destination.

Reactions: RoarRoar
I had heard it’s recommended to ensure the batteries are around 50% and not fully charged, maybe someone else can confirm this.
Yes it is best to have them in the 50-60 % range as the battery is “more stable” at that charge
No airline or air safety authority recommends you discharge your batteries to fly.
It's just a myth that's spread by drone forums.

I've taken my different Phantoms to Cozumel half a dozen times since 2014. Never had a problem leaving the States. I had to open up the checked case with my drone and accessories (batteries were in carryon) only once for Mexican customs. Every other time, it gets scanned through with no problems either. Unless I get a red light!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ