DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Birth Of My Love For The Hobby - True Story

Seventh Fairy

Reactions
I didn't always love drones, I saw them but never really thought about getting one.
In 2016, I lived in Denham Springs, LA. My Mother called me and told me there was gonna be heavy rain and so I thought nothing of it. That evening it began to rain, and very quickly, it got serious. I went upstairs to take a nap.

I was woken by a loud crash, I rushed downstairs and saw my two-floor model speakers had fallen off my dresser which floated up from the water which was in my apt at about 6 feet deep. I was in full panic, I grabbed my cat put her in a plastic bin, put holes in the top stuffed everything I could into my tactical vest, and backpack, and walked through the water with my head barely above it, outside was a disaster like I never saw before.

I was walking head pointed up to keep my mouth above water while pushing my now panicking cat in her box, but I didn't see the ditch as it was under water and I fell in it going under about a foot and only my hand was out able to hold the rope I had tied my cat's box with. My back bag was tied around me and I couldn't untie it without letting my cat go.

A guy I played n64 with and was a great friend whose father was a sheriff lived about 5 houses down, he was in his father's boat while his father was at the gas station down the street that was above the water or uphill I should say, he father was there helping people who were being brought there.

His son, my great friend, had a drone at the time and he was flying it back to his boat because his battery was low, on the way back he spotted my hand out of the water and he came with his boat and helped me in. It was him and another guy with his wife he saved, they got my cat and me in the boat right when I was out of air. Inhaling water is actually quite painful and very uncomfortable. Especially considering the sewer was loose in the water.

If it wasn't for his drone, I would have died, he told me directly I was lucky he saw me because he was heading to the gas station after his drone was back. This is the real, true reason why I fell in love with drones. I kept thinking, how many more lives can be saved with more drones in the air during something so horrible? The more drones in the air the more people can be saved.

When I arrived at the gas station, people were all over, crying, kids screaming, one girl where's her grandma turns out her grandmother was in the downstairs bedroom which was completely underwater while the kid's bedroom and parents were upstairs. So much sadness, horror, and emotional damage. One hid maybe about 7 holding his dog which wasn't even breathing, it was a small schnauzer dog. I cried when I saw this.

The amazing thing is I met up with my friend again not long ago, he is my and my old cat Mirei's savior. Thank you to people like him who take it into your heart to save others, you are a true hero.

This is my story and a true one of why I became a pilot and lover of drones.

I would also love to hear if anyone else became a lover of drones because of some amazing reason, regardless. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this if you did, and if you didn't, then that's ok?

I wish you all the greatest and happiest lives. : )

I need more help, my mavic 3, when I tilt the stick then let off just a bit, the M3 jerks to a stop insted of deathly coming to a stop like my original mavic pro, is there anyway to smoothen out it's brakes to where it doesn't just jerk stop and level. Example: I move right stick to Strafford to the right say about, 10 16ths, if I move it back about half the way back to center it'll jerk to a stop. On my mavic pro, it will continue to move to the side all the way till the stick is dead center.

How can I make flight smoother? I've been dumpster diving through every youtuve video I could find, but nothing good enough to help me fix it

Reactions: Gagey52
I need more help, my mavic 3, when I tilt the stick then let off just a bit, the M3 jerks to a stop insted of deathly coming to a stop like my original mavic pro, is there anyway to smoothen out it's brakes to where it doesn't just jerk stop and level. Example: I move right stick to Strafford to the right say about, 10 16ths, if I move it back about half the way back to center it'll jerk to a stop. On my mavic pro, it will continue to move to the side all the way till the stick is dead center.

How can I make flight smoother? I've been dumpster diving through every youtuve video I could find, but nothing good enough to help me fix it
Something you may try is adjusting the EXP settings so that stick control is more subtle. Otherwise the only other way I could find to smooth it a little is to set the obstacle avoidance to Brake instead of Bypass, there is a known issue with that, where the drone is very jerky in bypass mode. At this moment I couldn't find any other adjustments on braking either.

I suppose sudden braking is better than having a long run-up before a stop. I was flying my Mavic 2 once and let off the sticks a little too late and the momentum took it right up into the very edge of a tree branch. But I can imagine trying to film something only to have a jerky section when it needed to be smoother. Good luck.

Reactions: Gagey52
Having survived two cracker of tropical cyclones and flood I can sympathise with you. What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. Fly safe.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme