DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The dangers of remote landing

DrBazMan

Reactions
I tried landing my MA2 on a relatively clear spot on my favourite mountain bike track. The track runs along one of the ridges surrounding the valley I live in. I was on the valley floor near my house, the aircraft was some 520 metres away at altitude of 120 metres (yes, it's quite a climb on the MTB to get to that point!). I could see the track clearly with camera pointed straight down at 90 degrees, with landing spot readily identified. I came down gracefully through a gap in the trees, pulled off a nice landing as intended. This was all in VLOS, except for the brief period when I went down through the tree line; at that point it was purely FPV (oh, the adrenaline! ;- )

It soon became apparent that I had a serious problem on my hands - I could not take off! (more adrenaline!) (for my American friends, I vaguely recall from my pharmacology student days that you folks call this epinephrine!?)

What had actually happened was that there was a little bit of dry grass around my landing point, and subsequent forensic analysis revealed that a single spindle of grass had stalled one of my props! Big lesson. Unlike my cheap and cheerful high-performance home made sport quads, which basically act like a lawn mower in long grass, my delicate little MA2 seems to shut down a motor at the slightest hint of prop obstruction. And there's no way to override this, as far as I can tell. Anyone?

So, there was my MA2, half a kilometre away (straight line) on the top of a mountain, landed and stranded. Okay, I know some folks probably don't consider 120 metres a "mountain" (Everest, for reference, is about 8,000 metres!). But here in Australia, a mountain it is. And yes, you guessed it, I threw on the backpack, cycling shoes, Bell 4forty, etc. and set off up the mountain road on a recovery mission.

It was quite easy to find the aircraft - I knew exactly where I'd landed her on my very familiar track. Even still, I used the RC to home in on it, just to see if "find my aircraft" worked. It did. Admirably.

I couldn't believe the blade of grass that had scuppered my take-off. It was a weeny little thing that could easily have been chopped by the prop without any damage done. But, I guess the MA2 motors have current sensing, and over-current shutdown is, well, over-current shutdown. Ahem.

Having removed the offending blade of grass, I then launched the aircraft and flew her back out over the valley, landing (again remotely, coz now I'm on the top of the mountain!) in the paddock in front of my house, on the little landing pad, right in the middle of the "H". Fantastic! I then rode home 5 km and there she was, waiting for me ;-)

Moral of story: don't remote land your MA2 anywhere you can't recover her from, unless you are absolutely certain the landing spot is smooth, clear and devoid of any grass or other vegetation. The smallest blade of grass can mess up your day!

Cool story with a happy ending. ?

I haven't had any close encounters of the vegetation kind with the MA2 yet, but I had to replace some props with my Spark in the early days.

It never shut down during the flight but it took a beating and came home after whacking some leaves and branches of a tree.

Thanks for sharing. :)

I try to take-off and land on a pad, whenever possible. I've heard that grit and dirt can easily disrupt the motors all too easily when the air starts moving at start-up. Glad you got the drone back and enjoyed some healthy exercise in the process... Happy New Year...

Is good you got to it and if your not used to doing it just remember
when you do that’s your new home point so if you don’t reset it
if you lose signal coming back for whatever reason that’s where
its going back to. Also make real sure you have LOS where it’s setting down or you can’t spin it back up.
Just for those that don’t know.

I wouldn't think a regular blade of grass would prevent spinup. I'll have to check that with my MM1. If it works with MM1, it should be no problem with the stronger motor of the MA2.

What you do need to watch for, especially for either mini is ground clearance for the gimbal.

Grass will prevent it even a little bit it does mine. Cant say on the 2 .

I have had ' ridiculously' light stuff stop a motor start including grass blades with either the MM or M2P (I suspect the MM ) and they were grass blades that a running prop would have chopped. Bear in mind the downdraught from a descending drone is likely to flatten grass etc. which may recover when the motors have stopped.

That said a good lesson for others.

When you got up to the drone , did you try and take off ?

It was possible that you just did not have a clear signal to take off rather than the prop not moving ,

We Remote land a lot and no blade of grass has ever stopped those Props from starting up , if anything after 3 or 4 starts that blade of grass would have moved .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: qinks
I tried landing my MA2 on a relatively clear spot on my favourite mountain bike track. The track runs along one of the ridges surrounding the valley I live in. I was on the valley floor near my house, the aircraft was some 520 metres away at altitude of 120 metres (yes, it's quite a climb on the MTB to get to that point!). I could see the track clearly with camera pointed straight down at 90 degrees, with landing spot readily identified. I came down gracefully through a gap in the trees, pulled off a nice landing as intended. This was all in VLOS, except for the brief period when I went down through the tree line; at that point it was purely FPV (oh, the adrenaline! ;- )

It soon became apparent that I had a serious problem on my hands - I could not take off! (more adrenaline!) (for my American friends, I vaguely recall from my pharmacology student days that you folks call this epinephrine!?)

What had actually happened was that there was a little bit of dry grass around my landing point, and subsequent forensic analysis revealed that a single spindle of grass had stalled one of my props! Big lesson. Unlike my cheap and cheerful high-performance home made sport quads, which basically act like a lawn mower in long grass, my delicate little MA2 seems to shut down a motor at the slightest hint of prop obstruction. And there's no way to override this, as far as I can tell. Anyone?

So, there was my MA2, half a kilometre away (straight line) on the top of a mountain, landed and stranded. Okay, I know some folks probably don't consider 120 metres a "mountain" (Everest, for reference, is about 8,000 metres!). But here in Australia, a mountain it is. And yes, you guessed it, I threw on the backpack, cycling shoes, Bell 4forty, etc. and set off up the mountain road on a recovery mission.

It was quite easy to find the aircraft - I knew exactly where I'd landed her on my very familiar track. Even still, I used the RC to home in on it, just to see if "find my aircraft" worked. It did. Admirably.

I couldn't believe the blade of grass that had scuppered my take-off. It was a weeny little thing that could easily have been chopped by the prop without any damage done. But, I guess the MA2 motors have current sensing, and over-current shutdown is, well, over-current shutdown. Ahem.

Having removed the offending blade of grass, I then launched the aircraft and flew her back out over the valley, landing (again remotely, coz now I'm on the top of the mountain!) in the paddock in front of my house, on the little landing pad, right in the middle of the "H". Fantastic! I then rode home 5 km and there she was, waiting for me ;-)

Moral of story: don't remote land your MA2 anywhere you can't recover her from, unless you are absolutely certain the landing spot is smooth, clear and devoid of any grass or other vegetation. The smallest blade of grass can mess up your day!
Great advice based on personal experience.?

Americans also say “adrenaline.” Epinephrine primarily refers to an injection to stop an allergic reaction like anaphylaxis.

Reactions: KurtpH
Where are the photos? Photos would have been great :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost