DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The future of consumer drones

iAMiRONMAN

Reactions
Just my opinion about the future of drones.

I would expect over the next decade the fracturing will occur something like this. Manually operated drones like Mavics will eventually become so advanced with their imaging tech that they be moved to a more enterprise-like class.

Class 1: Selfie/camera drones with machine leaning that will do most of the all the flying themselves. As manual toy drones fade as a fad, this will become the most popular new entry drone class since it will require no FAA authorization because all flight restrictions are imbedded into the design (all weigh less than 250 grams). There is no way to override it. Flight ceiling locked at 150ft and won’t fly more than 300ft away from beacon.

Class 2: FPV race drones. These manual drones with their ultra high speeds and short battery life will be regulated to racing events and isolated and FAA approved practice/fun locations. FPV race drones over 250 grams will likely require some type of FAA license but won’t be as airspace-knowledge dependent as 107 and could be done online annually.

Class 3: Professional class of manually flown drones. As camera/imagining/sensor tech and etc become so good that privacy laws are enacted that forces this class to require FAA 107 and tracking at all times.

Class 4: Heavier professional drones that have waivers for out of line of sight flight and will require parachutes as standard equipment. These drones will be treated similar to manned aircraft and will have higher annual fees attached to them.

Last edited:
I see the future differently.

With improved battery tech (it may be a few years) I expect 50-60 minute fly time; with more advanced microelectronics: smaller, faster, more energy-efficient, more powerful chipsets, centimeter-accurate GPS, more advanced intelligent flight modes, including foolproof follow-me modes; 360/360 obstacle avoidance; 10x (or so) zoom cameras.

Entry level quads will have most of the above, but <249 grams, fixed focal length cam and maybe 30 min flight time, 3 mile range, for about 100-200 USD.

Almost certain: open architecture, modular planforms with user-definable components and specs, ala current PCs, perhaps underground, some cottage industry.

Think I'm wrong? Don't bet on it!

Reactions: hiflyer201
As someone that has only been into drones for the last 6 months but loving it... I wish i could rewind and go back and got in earlier before we started on this curve of rules because of the idiots.... few state parks i would of loved to fly in safely.

I wonder how any/all this will fit in other national jurisdictions.

Here in WA (That's Western Australia) we are basically unrestricted except for controlled airspace around major airports. The rest is wide open. with only restrictions on height and flying over people.

Reactions: mereflyer
I wonder how any/all this will fit in other national jurisdictions.

Here in WA (That's Western Australia) we are basically unrestricted except for controlled airspace around major airports. The rest is wide open. with only restrictions on height and flying over people.

My opinion on this topic mostly just pertains to the USA. Currently all the venture capital is pouring into enterprise and military uses of small drones at the moment. There seems to be little excitement around the lack of profitability in the consumer drone market because of all the innovations DJI did to remove any profits for other players in this segment.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000