DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Land of Ice & Fire (Part 15 - Hverfjall)

MPone

Reactions
Hverfjall

Hverfjall is 396 meter (1,300 ft) high tephra explosion crater. It is located near the eastern shore of Lake Myvatn in northern Iceland. Resembling a black ash cone of mammoth proportions, you can walk up the steep slopes and around the crater’s rim for otherworldly and awesome view of the surrounding landscape. The volcano, which is a part of the Krafla fissure swarm, erupted in 2500 years ago. The crater is approximately 1 km in diameter.

Last edited:
Cool, nice to see other things besides the fjords, but then they have all been fairly unique in some way too.
The shot looking down at the rim was cool, nice walking track right around, that would take a little while to do I imagine.
On Google maps it looks like approx 2.5km or so around the rim.

Are you getting into the more mountainous areas while there ?
That would be great to see, even a fly up form the coast for a peak over the top sometime.

Edit - Lake Askja looks nice :)

Cool, nice to see other things besides the fjords, but then they have all been fairly unique in some way too.
The shot looking down at the rim was cool, nice walking track right around, that would take a little while to do I imagine.
On Google maps it looks like approx 2.5km or so around the rim.

Are you getting into the more mountainous areas while there ?
That would be great to see, even a fly up form the coast for a peak over the top sometime.

Edit - Lake Askja looks nice :)

The highlands are coming up soon. Including Askja area.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Awesome video! Mother Nature does amazing things.
You also gave me an idea. In AZ we have a meteor crater about 5000ft across and 600ft deep. Gonna try to get permission to fly for a few minutes there.
6B7E3FB4-888C-4322-B78E-20415AF06D9E.jpeg

@Thomas B if you get to Oz sometime, and particularly the Red centre, Gosse Bluff is a remarkable crater in the Northern Territory, western end of the West Macdonnell Ranges a couple of hundred KM (125 miles) NE of Uluru (Ayres Rock).
Believed to be from a strike by a comet about 600m wide some 142 million years ago, it made this incredible 5 km (3.1 mile) diameter, 180 m (590 ft) high feature, but it's estimated that it was originally approx 22 km (14 miles) in diameter before erosion took its toll.

I've been here, but only driven in for a look, it was a bit before drone ownership which is a shame !!
The road entry is on the eastern side (right in this pic) through the range, and you can drive in to a carpark about 300m inside the rim walls.

7nru4tuyh5q01.jpg

@Thomas B if you get to Oz sometime, and particularly the Red centre, Gosse Bluff is a remarkable crater in the Northern Territory, western end of the West Macdonnell Ranges a couple of hundred KM (125 miles) NE of Uluru (Ayres Rock).
Believed to be from a strike by a comet about 600m wide some 142 million years ago, it made this incredible 5 km (3.1 mile) diameter, 180 m (590 ft) high feature, but it's estimated that it was originally approx 22 km (14 miles) in diameter before erosion took its toll.

I've been here, but only driven in for a look, it was a bit before drone ownership which is a shame !!
The road entry is on the eastern side (right in this pic) through the range, and you can drive in to a carpark about 300m inside the rim walls.

7nru4tuyh5q01.jpg

Nice shot.

Hverfjall

Hverfjall is 396 meter (1,300 ft) high tephra explosion crater. It is located near the eastern shore of Lake Myvatn in northern Iceland. Resembling a black ash cone of mammoth proportions, you can walk up the steep slopes and around the crater’s rim for otherworldly and awesome view of the surrounding landscape. The volcano, which is a part of the Krafla fissure swarm, erupted in 2500 years ago. The crater is approximately 1 km in diameter.

Terrific! What an incredible place... Makes Sunset Crater near where I live look tiny. Iceland has become #1 on my list of places to visit.

Awesome video! Mother Nature does amazing things.
You also gave me an idea. In AZ we have a meteor crater about 5000ft across and 600ft deep. Gonna try to get permission to fly for a few minutes there.
View attachment 70331
So while I was watching the OP's video I was thinking, I should check to see how close I can get to Meteor Crater and still be outside park boundaries so I can fly there. That would be a nice view!

So while I was watching the OP's video I was thinking, I should check to see how close I can get to Meteor Crater and still be outside park boundaries so I can fly there. That would be a nice view!

I think as long as you don't launch and land within the Park boundaries you should be okay.
Like most places in Iceland I launched from far away and fly in.

What's amazing with Meteor crater in AZ, is how close the meteorite went to the buildings, and just missed them!!

PS: Just kidding!

I think as long as you don't launch and land within the Park boundaries you should be okay.
Like most places in Iceland I launched from far away and fly in.
Exactly. That's how I managed to shoot Sunset Crater once too. The park boundary on the south side of the crater is right at the base and there's a convenient forest road right there too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU