DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mini 2's exposed USB C and micro SD card slots

RotatingBirds

Reactions
Short of placing some tape over them and taking it off when needed, has anyone come up with a better/neater method to cover the USB C and micro SD card slots on the rear?

While I appreciate that the Mini 2 isn't supposed to be waterproof I do wonder just how easy it would be for water to get into those slots (from wet grass for example) or dirt, even if using a landing pad.

I suppose I could buy a Wet Suit though:

Unless you have seen or can find any threads that mention the entry of water or foreign bodies via the USB socket or the mSD card slot I wouldn't worry about it.
If the alternative is landing in wet grass hand catch it or use a landing platform of some sort.

If you are giving the wet suit serious thought bear in mind customs duty and duty collection fees. They are likely applicable at that price AND HURT.

Last edited:
The Phantom series never had any covers over their microSD ports, and no one experienced any problems with them. However, no harm in placing tape over them, if you are concerned, and don't want to learn to hand catch.

I know that the blades can't chop fingers off, I just want to avoid injuries. :) But yeah, I see that catching can be useful at times. Maybe I'll give it a go when I'm more confident.

you could cut the connector off a USB C cable, plug it in the opening, and leave it there during flight. That would probably keep dust and moisture out.
I see that Amazon has silicone plugs for USB C ports. They also have some for micro SD ports but I suspect that they won't work with the card in place.

Here's one link of many options under $10:

Great idea, thanks!

Also, with a micro SD card in the slot that will help a bit to keep out any unwanted water or dust/dirt.

you could cut the connector off a USB C cable, plug it in the opening, and leave it there during flight. That would probably keep dust and moisture out.
I think that would be a BAD idea for at least two reasons.

1) The projecting remnants of the plug may serve as a landing point for moisture and allow capillary action to draw moisture into the socket.
2) And the greater worry, the projecting remnants may, during drone handling or a crash etc., become a lever acting on the USB socket in the drone itself and either damage the contacts in the socket or apply undue force to the drone's mainboard and either detach the socket from the board or break electrical connections to the main board or break the mainboard itself.
2a) USB-C may well be more robust than the micro USB connection of the Mavic Mini and older Android phones etc. but if the intention is to fit the plug for a flight and remove the plug when the drone is put away you are adding needlessly to the number of insertions and removals of a plug to/from that socket.
If the plug is intended to remain in place whist the drone is in storage then go back to my "2)".

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I see that Amazon has silicone plugs for USB C ports. They also have some for micro SD ports but I suspect that they won't work with the card in place.

Here's one link of many options under $10:

I just ordered the set mentioned above from Amazon. That will take care of the USB C port, but I think I'll still have to use tape for the Micro SD slot. Speaking of which I just saw a place to start a reformat of the Micro SD card ON the Mini 2. So I did it. But heard nothing after that to acknowledge it succeeded.

If you have a 3D printer or know someone who does THIS is exactly what you're looking for. (Don't forget to tip the designer for some good Karma😀)
Excellent find, thank you. I don't have a 3D printer but I'll look for somebody online to do a print. :) (I'll definitely tip the designer too).

On a side note 66427cobra, my wife's parents had two 1967 Shelby Cobras with 426 engines. One stick and one automatic. They had a friend with a 67 Shelby Cobra with a 427, but she let her son trash it. I worked with her, and she was strange. I had the honor of remounting the automatic trans in the one that belonged to my reference library mother in law. She loved the look she got from policemen as they pulled beside her on the street.

On a side note 66427cobra, my wife's parents had two 1967 Shelby Cobras with 426 engines. One stick and one automatic. They had a friend with a 67 Shelby Cobra with a 427, but she let her son trash it. I worked with her, and she was strange. I had the honor of remounting the automatic trans in the one that belonged to my reference library mother in law. She loved the look she got from policemen as they pulled beside her on the street.
@KennethH:

If they were originals, it's too bad they no longer have them. Any original cobra in good condition is worth over a million dollars.

Too much for me but one of my dreams it to buy and build one of the replicas out there. With all the parts plus paint you can probably get one for $60K.

I particularly like the one from Ultimate Classic Cars (link below) because it is stretched 4" for bigger drivers. They will also help you with assembly at their factory for a reasonable fee. You get their expertise AND their tools. I think it is a 2 week process but they guarantee you can drive it out the door at the end. They, along with others, will build a turnkey cobra but those usually exceed $100K.

@KennethH:

If they were originals, it's too bad they no longer have them. Any original cobra in good condition is worth over a million dollars.

Too much for me but one of my dreams it to buy and build one of the replicas out there. With all the parts plus paint you can probably get one for $60K.

I particularly like the one from Ultimate Classic Cars (link below) because it is stretched 4" for bigger drivers. They will also help you with assembly at their factory for a reasonable fee. You get their expertise AND their tools. I think it is a 2 week process but they guarantee you can drive it out the door at the end. They, along with others, will build a turnkey cobra but those usually exceed $100K.

My mother-inlaw's Shelby was built in Los Angeles at the Shelby American plant. After my father-in-law passed from cancer, she had to sell them to their loving mechanics. I think the automatics (2) got 13 miles/gallon. He was proud of his Hurst shifter.

Now back to our originally scheduled programming.

Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: 66427cobra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka